Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Okay it's next month....where is our smoooooth as silk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
....And they are officially off the schedule. Elon tweeted that the next update "should" be next weekend, which is over the 6 week max between updates. He made it a whole 4 updates! When it doesn't come out next weekend the fanboys will all say "well he said SHOULD not WILL!!!!!"

Except that the update has already been sent out to some cars, as of yesterday. So back on the schedule.

Except that the update has already been sent out to some cars, as of yesterday. So back on the schedule.

A release to 1% of the cars isn't a release. If every customer can't have it, it doesn't exist. Buying a Tesla isn't a lottery.

Plus, when Elon says this: "HW2 Autopilot release should go wide next weekend with additional smoothness improvements to longitudinal control" you know even he doesn't count it as released. That tweet today was the reason for my comment. He's not even saying it WILL go out, he's saying it SHOULD.

Every release to date has been staged first. If we only start counting by when every car has an update, then the last update "doesn't exist".

This release isn't staged. Elon tweeted that next weekend is a different version (it has improvements supposedly).

Fair enough point on absolutes. How about the line in the sand being that 50% of the eligible cars can have it before we call it a roll out? That the exception be a car not having it, instead of a car having it before we call something a release?

This release isn't staged. Elon tweeted that next weekend is a different version (it has improvements supposedly).

Fair enough point on absolutes. How about the line in the sand being that 50% of the eligible cars can have it before we call it a roll out? That the exception be a car not having it, instead of a car having it before we call something a release?

I don't feel like taking the time to dig back through the history to find out, but are you counting 6 weeks from when 17.17.x first went out to a few cars, or, as I remember, a week later when it went out as a wide release?

I know Elon's tweets are about more than Tesla, but I find it hard to believe that he is still pays so much attention to the minutia of AP2 builds to personally send those "update" tweets himself.

So he himself tweets about all of the different updates.. Model S, Model X, HW1 and HW2?

I am shocked he would admit to being so vague and inaccurate

Aren't some cars still on 7.1? I guess every update after then "doesn't exist"?
Aren't they on it by choice, i.e. owners not updating downloaded software?

1. If they are, then wow you just made an extraordinarily poor argument.

2. If they aren't, then wtf happened?

In either case, what you said in no way establishes a slippery slope or anything beyond the fact that people will say anything to defend a 6 month "missed" timeline.

• Funny
Reactions: deonb

The problem is that they are struggling so hard to get EAP at AP1 levels - let alone enhanced - that we are seeing incremental releases as we beta test their expected to complete validation 6 months ago software. So the scattershot releases and availability of downloads don't tell us anything. I got 17.17.4 by going to an SC. I never got the one that apparently prevents my car from barreling towards stopped cars.

Maybe I'll get a new silky smooth experience starting next weekend. Maybe I'll get a weird in between release. Who knows. It's a farce.

Reactions: oktane
I was driving up 152 Friday when the car ping-ponged me between the concrete barrier and a truck on my right, since I was steering away from the truck which was almost a foot into my lane, so I had fewer inches of room to drive. It wasn't so tight of a squeeze I couldn't fit, but that didn't stop the AP2 software from complaining that it thought I was too close to the concrete barrier, sending me out toward the truck, then between me, the truck, the concrete barrier, and AP2 trying to make sense of it all, we fought, me trying to get the AP2 not to crash the car, and the car wiggled back and forth about half a dozen times as we did the hard fight. I made it through just fine. (I immediately sent in a bug report.) But this tells me that either because of regulators they're being held back from giving us any of the "good" stuff because they (wrongly?) believe incremental changes are a good way to be safe, or this ping-pong crash style is the state of the art.

They've been billing this as "just around the corner" for years now; is there someone out there trying to wedge in bugs or intentional mistakes into their stuff? Or are they being misdirected somehow? Did a fad take hold at some point and everyone ran with it? It's getting baffling.

I don't feel like taking the time to dig back through the history to find out, but are you counting 6 weeks from when 17.17.x first went out to a few cars, or, as I remember, a week later when it went out as a wide release?

17.17.4 hit the first car on the 6th of May and had hit 10% of all cars by the end of the first day. 50% of the cars by the 10th, and 90% of them by the 14th. There was no slow roll out. So 6 weeks is yesterday because the roll out clearly started the first day.

17.17.4 hit 20+ cars on ev-fw within the first 24 hours. 17.22.46 is at 4 cars after 72 hours.

Reactions: Ulmo
The heck? Those aren't related.

They might not be tied together in a technical sense outside of Tesla but Elon has said repeatedly over the last year or so that the browser upgrade everyone is asking for would come with or just after a kernel update. People don't want to bother to dig up quotes and screenshots of tweets every time so they just mention them together.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow and Ulmo
I was driving up 152 Friday when the car ping-ponged me between the concrete barrier and a truck on my right, since I was steering away from the truck which was almost a foot into my lane, so I had fewer inches of room to drive. It wasn't so tight of a squeeze I couldn't fit, but that didn't stop the AP2 software from complaining that it thought I was too close to the concrete barrier, sending me out toward the truck, then between me, the truck, the concrete barrier, and AP2 trying to make sense of it all, we fought, me trying to get the AP2 not to crash the car, and the car wiggled back and forth about half a dozen times as we did the hard fight. I made it through just fine. (I immediately sent in a bug report.) But this tells me that either because of regulators they're being held back from giving us any of the "good" stuff because they (wrongly?) believe incremental changes are a good way to be safe, or this ping-pong crash style is the state of the art.

They've been billing this as "just around the corner" for years now; is there someone out there trying to wedge in bugs or intentional mistakes into their stuff? Or are they being misdirected somehow? Did a fad take hold at some point and everyone ran with it? It's getting baffling.

Hey now, don't blame regulators. The poorly functioning code has nothing to do with regulation. I know you know this.

17.17.4 hit the first car on the 6th of May and had hit 10% of all cars by the end of the first day. 50% of the cars by the 10th, and 90% of them by the 14th. There was no slow roll out. So 6 weeks is yesterday because the roll out clearly started the first day.

17.17.4 hit 20+ cars on ev-fw within the first 24 hours. 17.22.46 is at 4 cars after 72 hours.
I agree. Further support: On TeslaFi, only 1 with AP2!
Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 10.02.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 10.04.24 PM.png