Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Okay, some questions after driving for a few days...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So got my Y on Saturday, enjoying it so far, but had some questions around the user interface, what is shown on the screen while driving, etc. Bear with me (I'm sure each can be individually searched, but this is kind of what forums are for!):

1. I noticed that after driving for a bit and the Vision or whatever it's called calibrating a couple of things seem odd and not sure if it's normal:
i) Sometimes I see the traffic lights on the screen, sometimes I don't
ii) Doesn't ever seem to show a stop sign?
iii) Occassionally, especially with larger trucks, while I'm sitting in traffic next to one the truck seems to move back and forth on the screen across the lane, like a glitch

2. When I engage autopilot, is it also supposed to keep me from crossing the lanes? Does it take longer to calibrate to do so as I tried it a couple times and started going into the oncoming traffic lane (obviously did so while the lanes were pretty free) until I manually grabbed the steering wheel to course correct. Speaking of auto pilot and stop signs, if the Vision thing doens't show a stop sign on the screen, does that mean when in autopilot say on rural roads where there is a stop sign every severl km, presumably the car has no idea? I don't plan on using it for that, but am curious. Would have certainly figured the car would identify stop signs, unless you have to purchase FSD to get that.

3. Some minor points:
i) Has Tesla not yet updated the UI to allow us to sort the radio stations how we wanted to? I.e., I have to delete stations and then add them in reverse order to get them into an order I want. Seems like a simple thing to do, then again I recently switched from android to iphone and am flabbergasted that we can't order the icons on the phone screen any way we want, so there's that.
ii) Is there a way to rename the stations? In particular, since there is no AM tuner, would love to be able to rename the HD2/3 etc stations
iii) Has anyone found a phone mount that works with the iphone 13 Pro Max and actually charges the phone while in the wireless charger bay? Basically right now I have to turn the phone upside down and keep it in the right most tray, and then sometimes it will charge in that manner. Have tried 3 different cases, including a Spigen "Magcase" or whatever they're called. Fairly frustrating.

Thx!

Calibration should only need to happen once unless something gets moved/replaced (like windshield replacement). You will know when calibration is done because there should be a message showing calibration % complete. On the drive home from the Tesla store, mine self-calibrated and I've never done it since (that was 2019).

For the screen, it's not a "one to one" of the actual view. It's only a representational one so that the driver gets a level of assurance that yes, the car sees things. Vehicles will "dance" as the ultrasonic sensors continually re-calculate and re-display vehicle positions. Nothing in your question 1 is out of the ordinary.

There is a setting that can control lane departure - check your setting to see if it's set the way you want. I bought FSD when I bought the car so I've always been able to see stop signs...not sure if it's FSD only (I don't remember). I do remember, there's a setting for that (I think).

As far as I know, no way to rename stations and no way to delete old ones - I have a bunch from TuneIn that I'd love to delete but I can't. Can't speak about the phone; when I bought my car, there was no wireless charging. I bought a Taptes wireless charger and it works great. I keep it there and it charges just fine.

1. I noticed that after driving for a bit and the Vision or whatever it's called calibrating a couple of things seem odd and not sure if it's normal:
i) Sometimes I see the traffic lights on the screen, sometimes I don't
ii) Doesn't ever seem to show a stop sign?
iii) Occassionally, especially with larger trucks, while I'm sitting in traffic next to one the truck seems to move back and forth on the screen across the lane, like a glitch

I don't always pay attention to whether or not traffic lights and stop signs always show up, but in general I don't recall not seeing stop lights on the FSD-realization pane. I don't have FSD, and it doesn't appear that you have it, so the car will not stop for the stop signs or traffic lights. All it does is show it on the FSD-realization pane but is not used for anything by non-FSD cars. The "glitching" trucks/cars on the screen is normal.

2. When I engage autopilot, is it also supposed to keep me from crossing the lanes? Does it take longer to calibrate to do so as I tried it a couple times and started going into the oncoming traffic lane (obviously did so while the lanes were pretty free) until I manually grabbed the steering wheel to course correct. Speaking of auto pilot and stop signs, if the Vision thing doens't show a stop sign on the screen, does that mean when in autopilot say on rural roads where there is a stop sign every severl km, presumably the car has no idea? I don't plan on using it for that, but am curious. Would have certainly figured the car would identify stop signs, unless you have to purchase FSD to get that.
Are you using TACC or Autopilot? TACC is one click down on the right stalk. Autopilot is two clicks. If you are using Autopilot, it should keep the car centered in the lane you're in. Something is wrong if it goes into adjacent lanes while in Autopilot. If you are using just TACC, you need to control the steering wheel.

If you have not performed a reboot of the Tesla's computer now would be a good time. While parked, press and hold the left and right scroll wheels for 10 seconds and release. The Tesla Model Y systems will reboot. After a few minutes the Tesla logo will appear and then the standard Tesla screen. This may fix the issue with lane departure warning, other software glitches.

Take the time to read the Tesla Model Y Owner's manual. There are some important settings that you should activate right away.

Lane Departure Avoidance is designed to warn you if Model Y is drifting out of, or nears the edge of, your driving lane.

Lane Departure Avoidance operates when driving between 40 and 90 mph (64 and 145km/h) on roads with clearly visible lane markings. You can choose if and how you want Lane Departure Warning to operate by touching Controls > Autopilot > Lane Departure Avoidance and selecting between these options:
  • Off: You are not warned of lane departures or potential collisions with a vehicle in an adjacent lane.
  • Warning: If a front wheel passes over a lane marking, the steering wheel vibrates.
  • Assist: Corrective steering is applied to keep Model Y in a safe position if Model Y drifts into an adjacent lane or near the edge of the road.
When Lane Departure Avoidance is enabled and Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is active, if Model Y drifts out of the driving lane when the associated turn signal is off, Lane Assist also checks to see whether your hands are on the steering wheel. If hands are not detected, the touchscreen displays a series of alerts, similar to those that are used when driving with Autosteer. If hands are repeatedly not detected Model Y gradually slows down to 15 mph (25 km/h) below the detected speed limit, or below the set cruising speed, and the hazard lights start flashing.

Collision Avoidance Assistance:

Forward Collision Warning - Model Y monitors the area in front of it for the presence of an object such as a vehicle, motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian. If a collision is considered likely unless you take immediate corrective action, Forward Collision Warning is designed to sound a chime and highlight the vehicle in front of you in red on the touchscreen. If this happens, TAKE IMMEDIATE CORRECTIVE ACTION! Forward Collision Warning operates only when driving between approximately 3 mph (5 km/h) and 90 mph (150 km/h).

(By default, Forward Collision Warning is turned on. To turn it off or adjust its sensitivity, touch Controls > Autopilot > Forward Collision Warning. Instead of the default warning level of Medium, you can turn the warning Off, or you can choose to be warned Late or Early.)

Obstacle-Aware Acceleration - is designed to reduce the impact of a collision by reducing motor torque and in some cases applying the brakes, if Model Y detects an object in its driving path. The touchscreen displays a visual warning and sounds a chime when the brakes are automatically applied. For example, Model Y, while parked in front of a closed garage door with Drive engaged, detects that you have pressed hard on the accelerator pedal. Although Model Y still accelerates and hits the garage door, the reduced torque may result in less damage.

Obstacle-Aware Acceleration is designed to operate only when all of these conditions are simultaneously met:
  • Drive or Reverse is engaged.
  • Model Y is stopped or traveling less than 10 mph (16 km/h).
  • Model Y detects an object in its immediate driving path.

Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual

Reactions: tm3lrawd and pbcsd
Thanks, looks like it has a section on stop signs and traffic light as well. Sad, I find it sooo hard to read a manual given 1) well, I'm male and 2) I literally don't think I've ever read a car manual outside of figuring out what a warning light meant...but this isn't your grand father's volkswagen or whatever that saying is.

I had already reset the system a couple times as it was acting up (you know, when I was trying to show my daugher the light show for the first time).

Reactions: jpelaston
I hope this is a good place to ask this... new (2022) Model Y on Autopilot (I got FSD but haven't had the car long enough to activate it)
Noticing that oncoming traffic is not showing on my screen... is this normal?

I hope this is a good place to ask this... new (2022) Model Y on Autopilot (I got FSD but haven't had the car long enough to activate it)
May be normal. How new, i.e
Maybe; how many miles have you driven in your Model Y? It takes a few hours of driving to calibrate the Autopilot system. Also, what software version is running? (Go to Controls=>Software or scroll to the bottom of the Tesla app to see the current software version.) It can take a few weeks before your Tesla Model Y will start to receive over the air software updates.

Maybe; how many miles have you driven in your Model Y? It takes a few hours of driving to calibrate the Autopilot system. Also, what software version is running? (Go to Controls=>Software or scroll to the bottom of the Tesla app to see the current software version.) It can take a few weeks before your Tesla Model Y will start to receive over the air software updates.
I have the same question. Latest software, about 110 miles in, calibration completed but the images don’t show oncoming traffic and a lot of the cars on the road don’t necessarily show up. I don’t have FSD but I have the preview for FSD checked. Is it normal to have an incomplete view on the UI at this point?

I have the same question. Latest software, about 110 miles in, calibration completed but the images don’t show oncoming traffic and a lot of the cars on the road don’t necessarily show up. I don’t have FSD but I have the preview for FSD checked. Is it normal to have an incomplete view on the UI at this point?
You need to be aware of the software version that is running; my version is 2022.12.3.2, your software is still at the version that is installed at the factory. (All new Model Y vehicles initially have the factory build software release, updates start automatically after a few weeks.)

You need to be aware of the software version that is running; my version is 2022.12.3.2, your software is still at the version that is installed at the factory. (All new Model Y vehicles initially have the factory build software release, updates start automatically after a few weeks.)
I’ll have to check. It just updated two days ago, though. Thank you for the help.

thanks... My version is 2022.12.3.3
I have been driving it since June 11, approx 170 miles since I picked it up

thanks... My version is 2022.12.3.3
I have been driving it since June 11, approx 170 miles since I picked it up
There is a setting, I have to look where, for the enhanced full self driving demo to display on the left side of the Tesla Model Y's screen (like a moving advertisement for FSD as you drive.) I found it distracting and soon turned it off. Like a dog with a new trick the demo loves to highlight traffic cones and recycling bins. Once in a while it will pick up someone on a bicycle or a pedestrian.

There is a setting, I have to look where, for the enhanced full self driving demo to display on the left side of the Tesla Model Y's screen (like a moving advertisement for FSD as you drive.) I found it distracting and soon turned it off. Like a dog with a new trick the demo loves to highlight traffic cones and recycling bins. Once in a while it will pick up someone on a bicycle or a pedestrian.
thanks... yeah I have selected the FSD preview... but it doesn't look like what I see on videos, it just looks 'regular' ;-)
I'll give it some time and see what happens after I have a week of good driving scores .. if it lets me in

If you have not performed a reboot of the Tesla's computer now would be a good time. While parked, press and hold the left and right scroll wheels for 10 seconds and release. The Tesla Model Y systems will reboot. After a few minutes the Tesla logo will appear and then the standard Tesla screen. This may fix the issue with lane departure warning, other software glitches.

Take the time to read the Tesla Model Y Owner's manual. There are some important settings that you should activate right away.

Lane Departure Avoidance is designed to warn you if Model Y is drifting out of, or nears the edge of, your driving lane.

Lane Departure Avoidance operates when driving between 40 and 90 mph (64 and 145km/h) on roads with clearly visible lane markings. You can choose if and how you want Lane Departure Warning to operate by touching Controls > Autopilot > Lane Departure Avoidance and selecting between these options:
  • Off: You are not warned of lane departures or potential collisions with a vehicle in an adjacent lane.
  • Warning: If a front wheel passes over a lane marking, the steering wheel vibrates.
  • Assist: Corrective steering is applied to keep Model Y in a safe position if Model Y drifts into an adjacent lane or near the edge of the road.
When Lane Departure Avoidance is enabled and Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is active, if Model Y drifts out of the driving lane when the associated turn signal is off, Lane Assist also checks to see whether your hands are on the steering wheel. If hands are not detected, the touchscreen displays a series of alerts, similar to those that are used when driving with Autosteer. If hands are repeatedly not detected Model Y gradually slows down to 15 mph (25 km/h) below the detected speed limit, or below the set cruising speed, and the hazard lights start flashing.

Collision Avoidance Assistance:

Forward Collision Warning - Model Y monitors the area in front of it for the presence of an object such as a vehicle, motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian. If a collision is considered likely unless you take immediate corrective action, Forward Collision Warning is designed to sound a chime and highlight the vehicle in front of you in red on the touchscreen. If this happens, TAKE IMMEDIATE CORRECTIVE ACTION! Forward Collision Warning operates only when driving between approximately 3 mph (5 km/h) and 90 mph (150 km/h).

(By default, Forward Collision Warning is turned on. To turn it off or adjust its sensitivity, touch Controls > Autopilot > Forward Collision Warning. Instead of the default warning level of Medium, you can turn the warning Off, or you can choose to be warned Late or Early.)

Obstacle-Aware Acceleration - is designed to reduce the impact of a collision by reducing motor torque and in some cases applying the brakes, if Model Y detects an object in its driving path. The touchscreen displays a visual warning and sounds a chime when the brakes are automatically applied. For example, Model Y, while parked in front of a closed garage door with Drive engaged, detects that you have pressed hard on the accelerator pedal. Although Model Y still accelerates and hits the garage door, the reduced torque may result in less damage.

Obstacle-Aware Acceleration is designed to operate only when all of these conditions are simultaneously met:
  • Drive or Reverse is engaged.
  • Model Y is stopped or traveling less than 10 mph (16 km/h).
  • Model Y detects an object in its immediate driving path.

Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual

I'm also a new owner who needs to read the manual. I also have issues with lane departure. You gave a very good description of how it works, thanks. I have everything set properly and it works part of the time but not always, even if the painted line is unchanged. Should I try a reboot? I did a wifi update a couple of days ago.

I'm also a new owner who needs to read the manual. I also have issues with lane departure. You gave a very good description of how it works, thanks. I have everything set properly and it works part of the time but not always, even if the painted line is unchanged. Should I try a reboot? I did a wifi update a couple of days ago.
Lane Departure Warning is only active when you are driving at a minimum of 40 MPH up to 90 MPH. For local roads you may not be consistently driving fast enough for Lane Departure Warning to be active.

About your iPhone -- I stopped relying on the wireless charging after a few months because the charging connection would bounce in and out and ultimately was useless for actually charging my phone. Waste of space. I bought some Anker USB-C to lightning cables and actually plug my phone in. Eventually I also got a magnetic long arm phone mount to put it a little closer to my right hand, since I often hang up the phone on my phone screen, not the car's screen.