Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Okay, speculators, what amperage charger will the 3 come with?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
For all those who love to obsess over what the 3 will have, here is one.

What amperage charger will it come with?

We could say either 40 or 48 amps for the standard charger, or 72 for the upgraded option. I was hoping that the 3 would come with only one charger option, one that could flow 80 amps or more.

People will need to be able to charge more quickly, like taking a normal car to the gas pumps. And even though not many charging stations are over 40 amps yet, they are coming.

So what will the 3 have?

I agree with @Az_Rael. It is likely we will get the 48A charger. Maybe with the larger battery option we could see the 72A unit, but I wouldn't count on it. As it is most EVSE's top out at 40A, so we are already going to have to pay more to get that last 8A (less if you go with Tesla plug instead of J1772). The EVSE that the car will come with that connects to 14-50 will be in the same boat...

It seems very unlikely that Tesla will make a dedicated OBC just for the Model 3, and it seems reasonable for them to continue offering an upgrade path of 2 chargers in their premium cars. So the Model 3 will have ONE of the chargers. Currently that means 48 Amp.

OP: the only practical way forward to decrease fueling times is through DC charge solutions with high voltage. You are asking about AC 208/240V solutions that will probably not get past ~ 16 kW

Last edited:
I have a feeling it will be exactly like the Model S is currently. The small battery Model 3 will come with a 48 Amp charger and the large battery Model 3 will come with a 72 Amp charger. I doubt these will be selectable options.

Just like Honda and their sunroofs... If you don't want the sunroof get an LX, the EX has the sunroof standard.

It doesn't hurt anything to plug a smaller circuit into a 72 Amp equipped car, i.e. A public charger set up to deliver 30 Amps. The car will pull 30 Amps and charge just fine.

It is possible however, that service centers will be able to upgrade the 48 Amp charger to a 72 Amp version by swapping the hardware in the car.

Do you guys think it might be possible to retrofit the 72 amp later to an early M3 that came with a 48 amp charger?
What is the cost of a charger assembly? More amps are definitely mo better.

Unlikely for Model 3, although an upgraded 2nd charger was offered as an option for the first gen Model S pre facelift nosecone cars :cool:
Interesting to note that the original charger was rated at 40A and the dual charger was 80A ... 8A more than the current maximum of 72A.

upload_2017-6-18_12-24-39.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ikjadoon
For all those who love to obsess over what the 3 will have, here is one.

What amperage charger will it come with?

We could say either 40 or 48 amps for the standard charger, or 72 for the upgraded option. I was hoping that the 3 would come with only one charger option, one that could flow 80 amps or more.

People will need to be able to charge more quickly, like taking a normal car to the gas pumps. And even though not many charging stations are over 40 amps yet, they are coming.

So what will the 3 have?

Same as the S/X. The won't build a separate product for the 3.

I live in Saskatchewan, the land of level 2 chargers, with no superchargers for 800 kilometers in every direction.

I don't think you can utilize a 72A charger at a J1772 station, but I may be wrong about that. I think you have to find a Tesla Destination charger. It would be better for you to buy the Chademo (or CCS) adapter I would think.

I don't think you can utilize a 72A charger at a J1772 station, but I may be wrong about that. I think you have to find a Tesla Destination charger. It would be better for you to buy the Chademo (or CCS) adapter I would think.
For J1772, the Clipper Creek CS-100/CS-90 has been around for a long time and can use the 72A:
70/80A Level 2 EVSE CS-100 Hardwired | ClipperCreek

I believe the 70A Tesla Roadster HPC is a ClipperCreek design based on this series:
Tesla — Roadster High Power Wall Connector

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Does it make any sense that the HPWC can put out 80 amps, yet even the upgraded cars can only take 72 amps?

If Tesla is concerned about cutting costs and making the cars easy to build, they should just put an 80 amp charger in everything, and be done with it. One part to keep in stock, no issue of which to choose. Simple.

Does it make any sense that the HPWC can put out 80 amps, yet even the upgraded cars can only take 72 amps?

If Tesla is concerned about cutting costs and making the cars easy to build, they should just put an 80 amp charger in everything, and be done with it. One part to keep in stock, no issue of which to choose. Simple.

1. The original Tesla dual charger would take a full 80A to match the HPWC... see my post above.
2. The smaller 48A charger will save a significant amount of cost in the Model 3... Simple really :cool:

Will they even bother to make a 48A wall charger or just continue to make the one 72A that is compatible with all the cars? I doubt any possible cost savings would be worth trouble though. I'm fine with the $500 for the current one.

Last edited: