Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Okay, speculators, what amperage charger will the 3 come with?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For all those who love to obsess over what the 3 will have, here is one.

What amperage charger will it come with?

We could say either 40 or 48 amps for the standard charger, or 72 for the upgraded option. I was hoping that the 3 would come with only one charger option, one that could flow 80 amps or more.

People will need to be able to charge more quickly, like taking a normal car to the gas pumps. And even though not many charging stations are over 40 amps yet, they are coming.

So what will the 3 have?
Don't forget that the in-car charger only affects AC charging, not supercharging (which uses direct DC to the battery).
Also, whether it's 48A or 72A or the old 80A dual charger it still takes many hours to charge, so will not be anything like a gas pump.
BTW, my bet is it will have the 48A charger, which will be plenty, especially with its smaller battery.

Will they even bother to make a 48A wall charger or just continue to make the one 72A that is compatible with all the cars? I doubt any possible cost savings would be worth trouble though. I'm fine with the $500 for the current one.
You're confusing the charger, which is in the car, with the HPWC (now just called Wall Connector) which is just an EVSE. The expense is the charger in the car, and the higher the amps the more expensive. The Wall Connector can be set to provide whatever power it is wired for. The only expense there is to the homeowner for heavier gauge wire and circuit breaker if he wants it to put out 72A instead of 48A. It's the same Wall Connector.

The higher amps will normally weigh more. Keeping weight under control is critical to the cost of the Model 3 production.
The charger size needs the ability to fully charge overnight. This means nothing larger than 40a is really a requirement, and will only add weight and cost.

Reactions: GSP
Is the 72A unit that much heavier than the 48A unit?

The more amps an AC/DC inverter handles, the heavier, larger, and costlier it gets just like any power supply for any device.

Grab any two power supplies with different power ratings and weigh them.

As to what the weight, size, and cost differences are between a 72 and 48a unit are, I do not know.

You're confusing the charger, which is in the car, with the HPWC (now just called Wall Connector) which is just an EVSE. The expense is the charger in the car, and the higher the amps the more expensive. The Wall Connector can be set to provide whatever power it is wired for. The only expense there is to the homeowner for heavier gauge wire and circuit breaker if he wants it to put out 72A instead of 48A. It's the same Wall Connector.

Gotcha. I pulled up the install manual for the wall connector and saw you can set it to multiple power outputs. Thanks.

1. Old charger was 40A, Model S'es that came with one have room to add another one increasing their charging capabilities to 80A.
  2. Superchargers use the very same 40A modules, just more of them (IIRC 16 of them shared between 2 stations). I haven't tracked the latest superchargers, but that was the case for a while, possibly still (unless they moved to the new 24A modules instead, or some other design).
  3. Today's cars use 24A internal modules. S/X come with 2 or 3 of them. 2 module setup is upgradable by adding one more. Some early cars came with 3 but were software limited to 2. The post delivery upgrade cost is $1,900, though it may only be offered to those who had the option in the design studio to begin with. Price is the same whether they have to add a module at the SC or just software activate one already there.

• Informative
Reactions: ikjadoon and Zoomit
48 amp most likely, i hope we are able to upgrade down the road to 72 amp.

I think the key now is the fast production ramp - the choice here would add complexity to production.

Cost concerns seems like a net gain - people would pay a 1500.00 upgrade for a part that likely costs 500.00 or less more to Tesla

I would pay for the fastest charger on any telsa - the ability to charge at nearly 1 mile per minute has come in handy so many times on my cars.

When i got the first one I was told I didn't need the upgrade but I can't tell you how much time and effort it has saved me over the past year.

The more amps an AC/DC inverter handles, the heavier, larger, and costlier it gets just like any power supply for any device. Grab any two power supplies with different power ratings and weigh them. As to what the weight, size, and cost differences are between a 72 and 48a unit are, I do not know.

My experience agrees with McRat. In the old days power supplies used 60Hz iron transformers. I could measure power or quality with a bathroom scale. If it took two men to pick it up (vs. one man), the power supply was twice as good/powerful because it had twice the iron. This is not true today!

Today's transformers don't use 60Hz. Even the 15kHz power supplies from the CRT TV days disappeared with analog TV. Since the iron mass is the inverse of frequency, and transistors are cheaper than iron, most modern power supplies operate around 1MHz or more. So the new figure of merit is no longer weight, but temperature. The cooler the better. All Tesla on board chargers are liquid cooled.

Since the on board chargers seem to be working, some people might predict that Tesla will use the same charger, but I don't think so. The technology has changed -- yet again.

The insulated gate bipolar transistor, IGBT, was king a few years ago. All modern Tesla cars use IGBTs in all power supplies. That should change. Thanks to Elon Musk and his friend Larry Page, "The Little Box Challenge" is partly responsible for making ultra efficient power supplies a commodity.
The Little Box Challenge

My guess is none of the power systems in the Model 3 will use insulated gate bipolar transistors. The new technologies will shrink the size and weight and raise the efficiency of all power supplies, inverters, converters, regulators. I also predict that two of the suppliers of Model 3 power systems will be CE+T Power and Schneider Electric, the winner(s) of "The Little Box Challenge."

I say that 36A is enough for the Model 3. What do you think?

Last edited:
My guess is none of the power systems in the Model 3 will use insulated gate bipolar transistors. The new technologies will shrink the size and weight and raise the efficiency of all power supplies, inverters, converters, regulators. I also predict that two of the suppliers of Model 3 power systems will be CE+T Power and Schneider Electric, the winner(s) of "The Little Box Challenge."

I say that 36A is enough for the Model 3. What do you think?

More amps of charging capacity, even if not needed or utilized, is always better because.... 'Merica!!! :)

Attachments

• 'Merica.png
    'Merica.png
    226.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Funny
Reactions: LoL Rick