Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Okay, speculators, what amperage charger will the 3 come with?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No it is not.

It's no longer an option in the design studio since it's standard on the 100's and not an option on the 75s but when it was optional it could be upgraded via software... the dual chargers were hardware but I'm pretty sure the 48A and 72A are the same.

screen-shot-2016-08-30-at-8-31-12-pm-png.192219

However... it appears this has since changed and the current fleet is limited to 48A physically and they CANNOT be upgraded to 72A...

Last edited:
It's no longer an option in the design studio since it's standard on the 100's and not an option on the 75s but when it was optional it could be upgraded via software... the dual chargers were hardware but I'm pretty sure the 48A and 72A are the same.

screen-shot-2016-08-30-at-8-31-12-pm-png.192219

However... it appears this has since changed and the current fleet is limited to 48A physically and they CANNOT be upgraded to 72A...
Already mentioned up thread. Some of the early cars got a software limited 72A, but now they are physically different.

Already mentioned up thread. Some of the early cars got a software limited 72A, but now they are physically different.

That's interesting... I always thought it was a single 48A unit but it's 2 or 3 (for 72A) 24A units. I suppose it's possible that 24A could be the standard for a ~55kWh 3 :eek:

Which realistically isn't terrible. I usually keep my charge rate set to 20A.... but 32A would be nice since that's the most common L2 public charger rate.

Reactions: FlatSix911
That's interesting... I always thought it was a single 48A unit but it's 2 or 3 (for 72A) 24A units. I suppose it's possible that 24A could be the standard for a ~55kWh 3 :eek:

Which realistically isn't terrible. I usually keep my charge rate set to 20A.... but 32A would be nice since that's the most common L2 public charger rate.
Yeah, if they keep the same architecture (and assuming it really is a 2-3x 24A), I agree it seems likely that 24A might be the standard.

Even the newer Leaf does ~27A. 24A seems too slow for an otherwise highly advanced car.

Depends on which paradigm you're looking at this from. It it's L2 at home/work 24A is about right. Most people will be fully charged when they leave work or home. Supercharger speed isn't effected. It you're looking to pick up some juice while running errands at public L2 then 24A would be irritating. As superchargers become more common there less and less advantage to high power on board chargers... the one big exception IMO would be demand response. If there's cheap or free energy available from 2-4am then you're gonna want to take as much as you can.

Even the newer Leaf does ~27A. 24A seems too slow for an otherwise highly advanced car.
I was just about to add this. My leaf does 6.6KW charging at ~30 amps. I don't think they will go with 24A since that would take about 15 hours to charge a 75kwh pack. 48 amps is what they already have on the shelf, well tested, charges is roughly 8 hours, seems perfect to me.
-Jim

I was just about to add this. My leaf does 6.6KW charging at ~30 amps. I don't think they will go with 24A since that would take about 15 hours to charge a 75kwh pack. 48 amps is what they already have on the shelf, well tested, charges is roughly 8 hours, seems perfect to me.
-Jim

It looks like the 48A unit is 2 24A units. It's possible that a 'bare-bones' ~55kWh 3 could have 1 of these 24A units. 48A and even 72A chargers would probably be available too...

I don't understand why some people in this thread are trying to rationalize a reason for a 24 amp charger. There is no good reason for a weaker, slower charger! These cars need to be able to charge FAST!!! More! Bigger! Better! FASTER!!! 48 amps! 72! 80! MOAR!!!

In a few years, when EV chargers are much more commonplace, people will expect to be able to slam 30 or 40 miles into their battery while they are in the supermarket picking up a few things.

I want that now, and I won't even have my 3 until the end of the year or so!

Last edited:
I don't understand why some people in this thread are trying to rationalize a reason for a 24 amp charger. There is no good reason for a weaker, slower charger! These cars need to be able to charge FAST!!! More! Bigger! Better! FASTER!!! 48 amps! 72! 80! MOAR!!!

Cost.

If 24A is all you need for daily charging why pay more for 48A? I usually charge at ~20A and that's more than enough.

In a few years, when EV chargers are much more commonplace, people will expect to be able to slam 30 or 40 miles into their battery while they are in the supermarket picking up a few things.

That's what Superchargers are for. Completely separate from the on-board charger.

In a few years, when EV chargers are much more commonplace, people will expect to be able to slam 30 or 40 miles into their battery while they are in the supermarket picking up a few things. I want that now, and I won't even have my 3 until the end of the year or so!

Dream on ... want and need are very different things. :cool:
I doubt the Model 3 will have the 72A or 80A charger available on the base car ... cost is king.

Reactions: nwdiver