Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Okay, speculators, what amperage charger will the 3 come with?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree but a talking point and perceived barrier of entry is when people ask "how fast does it charge?"

Tell them ~30 minutes. :)

tesla-supercharger-speed-graph.jpg

If you're worried about 'fast charging' 5 hours isn't much better than 10. And 10 is more than sufficient for daily use.

Reactions: boofagle
Tesla would be committing suicide if they put a 24 amp charger in the 3. That is just not the place to save money. Besides, I doubt that 24 amp module costs THEM more than $100, it is just their price to us that would be $500 or so.

It's one thing if the car never needs to charge at more than 24 amps, but if it CAN'T, you know all the Chevy Bolt fanbois will jump on that as a reason not to get a 3.

Besides, whenever there is a Tesla HPWC available at a destination charging site, you know it could be pumping out 80 amps, and to know your car can only take 24 of it would suck.

And there is no physical reason why the Model S 75 cannot use the 72 amp charger, and why it is only limited to the 100 KW models. Tesla just chose, for some inexplicable reason, to not sell 72 amp chargers to S 75 owners. I think they want to coerce people into buying the more expensive version. Saying it is simply "not available" isn't a good enough reason for me.

The upgrade from 48A to 72A was $1500 before 48A became standard on 75s and 72 standard on 100s. Based on that it's likely that a 24A charging module is at least $500.... $500 is A LOT to add to a $35k car for a feature that will 'hardly EVER' be used.

We'll know the answer in a few weeks... I can see ~55kWh cars coming with 1 24A module, 75s with 2(48A) and 100s with 3(72A).

If the objective is to reduce the cost of the 'bare-bones' 3 as much as possible going with a 24A charger vs 48A seems like pretty low hanging fruit. If you need faster L2 charging you're probably gonna need a bigger battery too.

There is no 100 kWh Model 3 ... just a Model S for comparison? :cool:

Last edited:
Looks like there's a good chance it's 32A:
cr473i6u445z.jpg
That picture looks like it was taken while the car was supercharging (nice pic BTW!) and while I'm not an owner I know from using it the AC charging on the Model S is selectable so I would assume (hope) the Model 3 will be the same. That 32A could very likely be adjustable, going by earlier posts it would seem to exceed the ability of a single 24A charger which is a good thing! Anybody with more familiarity with the Model S charging interface want to chime in?

That picture looks like it was taken while the car was supercharging (nice pic BTW!) and while I'm not an owner I know from using it the AC charging on the Model S is selectable so I would assume (hope) the Model 3 will be the same. That 32A could very likely be adjustable, going by earlier posts it would seem to exceed the ability of a single 24A charger which is a good thing!

Anybody with more familiarity with the Model S charging interface want to chime in?

The charging amperage is user selectable on the Model S interface ... 3A to 80A based on the supply side connection.
The Supercharging amperage is not user selectable and bypasses the onboard charger completely ... DC input only :cool:

Tesla Supercharger - Wikipedia

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Tesla Model 3 design is “pretty much final,” plus new insights from a batch of high quality photos

The charging screen doesn’t show us much we haven’t seen before. The car is charging at 70kW here, but Xue said he was charging from the next supercharger over at 110kW. Superchargers sometimes split amperage between adjacent stalls, giving more juice to one car than another, so this may not be a full reflection of the top charging speed of the Model 3. The car looks to be charging at a rate of 169 miles of range per hour, which is still plenty respectable compared to every other EV out there, but not as good as Tesla’s top 145kW rate can deliver.

upload_2017-6-22_1-21-23.png

Tesla Model 3 design is “pretty much final,” plus new insights from a batch of high quality photos

The charging screen doesn’t show us much we haven’t seen before. The car is charging at 70kW here, but Xue said he was charging from the next supercharger over at 110kW. Superchargers sometimes split amperage between adjacent stalls, giving more juice to one car than another, so this may not be a full reflection of the top charging speed of the Model 3. The car looks to be charging at a rate of 169 miles of range per hour, which is still plenty respectable compared to every other EV out there, but not as good as Tesla’s top 145kW rate can deliver.

View attachment 232299
Folks are doing napkin math in the comments and are thinking something between 236 miles and 308 miles of range based on this image...

I don't think you can utilize a 72A charger at a J1772 station, but I may be wrong about that. I think you have to find a Tesla Destination charger. It would be better for you to buy the Chademo (or CCS) adapter I would think.
Yes you can but the charger must also support 72 amps to charge at the full rate. If you go to a standard 30 amp station you will charge at 30 amps. But if you find a Tesla destination station then you would get the full 72 amps. Fortunately Tesla is doing a marvelous job of building out the destination chargers.

I would hope the Model 3 comes with a minimum of a 48 amp charger. I really hate it that my Volt is crippled with a puny 3.3KW one.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and SW2Fiddler
That picture looks like it was taken while the car was supercharging (nice pic BTW!) and while I'm not an owner I know from using it the AC charging on the Model S is selectable so I would assume (hope) the Model 3 will be the same. That 32A could very likely be adjustable, going by earlier posts it would seem to exceed the ability of a single 24A charger which is a good thing! Anybody with more familiarity with the Model S charging interface want to chime in?

It is selectable, but when supercharging like this it is probably showing the default value, based on my experience with the S. RC car, beta software, yadda yadda yadda, but this strongly suggests 32A is standard to me.

• Disagree
It is selectable, but when supercharging like this it is probably showing the default value, based on my experience with the S. RC car, beta software, yadda yadda yadda, but this strongly suggests 32A is standard to me.
That is better than 24A. If you change the rate in your car does the SC show that rate or the default max rate? I understand that it has no bearing on DC charging, I am just curious to know if the display shows the last value, or if it shows the max capable value when DC charging.

Yes you can but the charger must also support 72 amps to charge at the full rate. If you go to a standard 30 amp station you will charge at 30 amps. But if you find a Tesla destination station then you would get the full 72 amps. Fortunately Tesla is doing a marvelous job of building out the destination chargers.

I would hope the Model 3 comes with a minimum of a 48 amp charger. I really hate it that my Volt is crippled with a puny 3.3KW one.
Not all destination chargers are set up to run the full 72A though unfortunately. It can be configured multiple ways and depends on what power is fed to the charger. To charge at 72A, the charger would need to be on a 100A circuit. That is pretty expensive to install that compared to a 50A for some of the types of businesses that have the destination charges. I've seen destination chargers only on 50A circuits, therefore limiting charge rate to only 40A.

• Informative
You guys are chasing down one path... An added cost path where the charger is a separate module in the car, with a cost.

I'd like to propose a second path, one which Renault uses with the Zoe: There is no charger.

That is, the AC charging functionality may be integrated into the motor's drive inverter as software. Apply one, two (or even three) phases of 50 or 60Hz AC to the motor side of the motor's drive inverter, and DC is sent to the battery the same as when regen is occurring. No additional charger cost aside from software development and a couple relays (and possibly a couple patent license fees). Lower part count, less wiring, fewer assembly steps, high current capacity...

• Informative
Reactions: ikjadoon
You guys are chasing down one path... An added cost path where the charger is a separate module in the car, with a cost.

I'd like to propose a second path, one which Renault uses with the Zoe: There is no charger.

That is, the AC charging functionality may be integrated into the motor's drive inverter as software. Apply one, two (or even three) phases of 50 or 60Hz AC to the motor side of the motor's drive inverter, and DC is sent to the battery the same as when regen is occurring. No additional charger cost aside from software development and a couple relays (and possibly a couple patent license fees). Lower part count, less wiring, fewer assembly steps, high current capacity...

Now that is VERY interesting. Elon did say during the reveal that it would be able to take "any" electricity source for power. An inverter based on the drive system could theoretically do that.

Having 32A charger makes perfect sence for Europe where the 32A 400V 3 phase type 2 charging stations are common. This gives us same charging speed, 22kw, as in the good old S with a double charger.

This was all we could hope for as a onboard charger :)

Now that is VERY interesting. Elon did say during the reveal that it would be able to take "any" electricity source for power. An inverter based on the drive system could theoretically do that.

They used to do that with the original Roadster 1.5
They intentionally switched to a standalone charger later to avoid having to pay the patent royalties.
ACP "Reductive Charging" ...

Dual charger 22 kW - yesterday's tech | Tesla

Reliability and efficiency issues with what Renault did? :
An open letter to Renault

Also, using the motor windings as part of the charging circuit presents some grounding challenges.
Original Roadster motor had to have some insulative materials in the driveline to isolate parts of the motor.

I am not so sure that Tesla would want to try that again.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Not all destination chargers are set up to run the full 72A though unfortunately. It can be configured multiple ways and depends on what power is fed to the charger. To charge at 72A, the charger would need to be on a 100A circuit. That is pretty expensive to install that compared to a 50A for some of the types of businesses that have the destination charges. I've seen destination chargers only on 50A circuits, therefore limiting charge rate to only 40A.

Just a little nitpick: for 72A charging, you only need a 90A breaker. You will need 100A breaker for 80A charging.