Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Okay to run the AC at all times while driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course not. Modern cars are able to handle AC driving over the mountains with any other loads going. I live at 1500 feet elevation, drive up and down daily with AC or heat, and have driven to Canada and never even thought of it, going over numerous mountains and crossing deserts in process.

Perfectly fine. I have waited hours in my cars with AC on. There are reports of people camping in their Teslas too.

I have too. Waited in the car for like an hour. But wasn’t sure but since there’s no alternator or anything that requires the car to be at speed to run the AC. It feels like it should work fine when parked. The battery is operating the same whether the car is moving or not.

The car uses the AC in many situations, sometimes just to dry up the air a little which is generally more comfortable. Humidity plays a big role in how comfortable it if the temperature is the same.
As for reliability. If the Model 3 AC is as good as the one in the Model S/X it will last very long. My Model S has 178k miles on it. For an average driver that's the equivalent of driving for 11 years. No issues with the AC yet.

Reactions: xkwizit
I have too. Waited in the car for like an hour. But wasn’t sure but since there’s no alternator or anything that requires the car to be at speed to run the AC. It feels like it should work fine when parked. The battery is operating the same whether the car is moving or not.

The AC in an electric car is more like a window AC in a house than one in an ICE. As long as the battery pack has enough charge, running the AC when parked is no harder on the system than running one in the window of the house.

The AC in an ICE is designed to run off the belts in the engine. When the engine isn't turning, the compressor can't run and all you're doing is blowing air across the pipes that may still be cold from running the AC when the car was running. EVs don't have belts and the compressor runs directly off the electrical system in the car so the compressor can run anytime without any issues.

An EV could be designed so the compressor won't run unless the car is "running", but Tesla did camper mode so you could run the heat or AC when parked for long periods if you wanted to.

Yea, call me old school but I don’t like electronic turning on and off in a short time. For example When I wash my car, I open and close the doors quite a bit, I don’t like it turns on and off every time I do that

When I wash the car I listen to music on the car's infotainment system. You can "start" the car by putting the key inside the car, pushing the brake pedal and closing the door. The car will stay on for about 20 minutes and you can listen to music. The wipers are active, so the car will swipe at you while you while cleaning the windshield, but it's a game to stay out of the wiper's swipe. Also other things don't turn on and off when opening and closing doors, everything just stays on. After 20 minutes when the car shuts off, turn it back on by opening the door and hitting the brake again.

• Helpful
Reactions: spurs10
Would be better if the system also kept the fans and A/C off until somebody sat down.

How would that be better? When it's 105F in July if I haven't remembered to precool via the app I surely don't need the car waiting any longer to get the AC going. And certainly if my kids are getting into their car seat I want the AC already running the instant the car is opened.

The car is simply not anywhere near as fragile as some people seem to think ;)

Related question: what is the 12V in the Model 3 used for? It’s not powering radio or AC so...?

The MCU runs minimally all the time. The radio is probably on a 12V system. The interior lights are 12V too.

What runs on 12V and off the inverter is so seamless it's hard to be sure what's running off which system without a wiring diagram. Fortunately someone just posted that:
Tesla Model S Service Manual -- FREE

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

The MCU runs minimally all the time. The radio is probably on a 12V system. The interior lights are 12V too.

What runs on 12V and off the inverter is so seamless it's hard to be sure what's running off which system without a wiring diagram. Fortunately someone just posted that:
Tesla Model S Service Manual -- FREE

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.
I guess I’m wondering if you just sat in the car for hours if it would run the radio etc until 12V depleted or if it uses HV battery to recharge 12V