Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Okay, we're going in...(to the San Rafael service center)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've had our X for just over 3 years and 37,000 miles, and usually problems are handled here at home by Tesla rangers dispatched from the Bay Area to our home about 300 miles north. This time a problem showed up on our last trip pulling the Airstream to Napa that cannot be fixed at home, so our X has made its way south to the San Rafael service center for repair.
The problem- we got a warning light and message that said there was a problem with the battery or A/C. This occurred (three times now) while we were supercharging (but not while using our 50 amp charger at home). Our over the phone contact was able to check on battery temp remotely the first time this occurred, and found the battery temp in proper limits. Today, when Illijana drove the X on its own to San Rafael, she got the same warning while supercharging in Ukiah. The A/C failed to function after that today.
The service center said they could give us a loaner X, and think they can fix the problem in a day. Here's hoping! I'll post more about the resolution. Jim

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus and P85_DA
A small update - service replaced a part for the cooling system, and updated our software, but the part was defective, so it was removed and another was ordered from Fremont. They put an expedite on the order, so hopefully it will be to San Rafael by tomorrow at 11 am. What this means practically is that Illijana is going to spend another night at the lodging in San Rafael. Sigh! I'm hoping the part shows up and is successfully replaced tomorrow.
I must say I was wowed today by the autonomous driving presentation. It was fun to watch, even though my X was manufactured too early in the lifecycle of the X to ever have complete self-driving features. I did ask Illijana to ask the techs if they would just slip in that new computer chip on the sly (joke!)

Resolution! The problem was a condenser fan for the A/C. They replaced it today, reported that the main battery was within parameters, updated the vehicle and replaced the car fob batteries. Yahoo, and all in all, a decent repair experience. Illijana is taking the advice of our service advisor Daniel and eating out at a Guatemalan restaurant. She will be home tomorrow, happily driving our X. I will be taking it to an Earth Day week EV display at Eureka Natural Foods on Saturday, glad that it is fixed, and ready to pull our trailer again in the upcoming months. So glad it wasn't serious. Jim