Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Old 2016 Engineering car with new car warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
Did anyone procured engineering vehicle from Tesla? There is MS listing I received from Advisor and was told its a engineering car which was never registered but 2016 yr. Also If i take delivery will get all benefits as of new vehicle including warranty.

Reactions: rickyjb
Also, I know for a fact that buy-back cars (I.e. cars tesla doesn’t want to legally called “lemon” cars) are often sent to engineering teams (perhaps for really good and helpful reasons). Buying an engineering car could be a gamble. But if the price is right and the warranty is truly what you say it is (please verify it in writing) then you’ve got something unique indeed.

Upvote 0
IMO it's a gamble. Could be great, could be a nightmare. Interpret anything you get from Tesla in the worse (for you) possible interpretation. For example if Tesla says the car has X motor hp, they really do mean only the motors can theoretically do that, but the rest of the car may limit that by a very significant margin (I still own one previous Tesla flagship car which would require a 50% power boost to reach the advertised power - Tesla's excuse, we advertised "motor hp", we never said those motors can produce that power in the car we sold you). All Tesla cars are a dream to drive, a nightmare to own. The dream turns into a nightmare when you need repairs, so if you're going to buy one, I would minimize the chance of that, warranty or not it's a nightmare (and sometimes you find out they re-interpret the warranty, like they did not long ago with the main screen - Tesla now considers the screen a wearable item, like wipers or tires - not even a full year of warranty against the screen discoloring as long as you can still make out most of what's on the screen.

Reactions: InternetDude
Upvote 0
Thanks for your inputs. What are the key things to check?
First thing to check would be run a report on the VIN to see if it has ever been registered. Also, it if is going to be delivered to you as a "new" vehicle, untitiled, If it were a lemon law buy back, then there would still be evidence of the vehicle being titled. That is the sure way to know if it is truly as Tesla is advertising.
I'd also make sure I understood what warranty Tesla would be providing. Would they provide warranty as it existed at the time a 2016 car was originally to be sold, or the current new car warranty. One of the key differences there is that in 2016 the battery/drive unit warranty was 8 years/unlimited miles on the MS. Now there is a mileage limitation. That would be a key one that I'd want to confirm.
I'd also ask they to provide you details on what the current service status is on the car. Will they be delivering it to you as if it were a new car, meaning they are going to replace the oil in the drive unit (was required to be done a 12 mo/12,000 miles on a 2016 when sold), replace brake fluid so you know it is fresh (not just a test for moisture, but actually replace), and replace the battery coolant (2016s when originally sold had a 4 yr coolant change requirement).
You've said nothing about the miles on the car. Will Tesla be delivering it with current miles as shown on the odometer, or will they be resetting to zero? That's important to know what the starting miles is for your warranty.
I'd also press them to make sure all open safety recalls are performed on the vehicle. This would include the eMMC chip replacement if it's not already been performed.
If you can confirm all those items, not sure what they are offering you for it, but especially if it were to be a late 2016 with AP2, I'd think could be a really potential for a good deal and personally I'd be interested in it.

Reactions: croman and outdoors
Upvote 0
If the car is untitled, it should have new car warranty. Others have purchased 2+ year old new Teslas and received new car warranties. However, you'll want to confirm and get everything in writing.
How many miles are on the car?
I have a January 2016 model S.
I bought it as a "new" demonstrator car that had 711 miles on it when it was delivered.
At 920 miles the HVB had to be replaced because the maximum range had dropped to 100 miles.
They did not tell me what failed in the battery.

Upvote 0
You might also ask if the car comes with free unlimited Supercharging for life...
And that free supercharging might be transferable.

I assume it has the new refresh nose. Some 2016 don’t. Panoramic roof? Silver color? Leather seats? I am trying to think of what else has been discontinued.

Does it have MCU2?

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Upvote 0
And that free supercharging might be transferable.

I assume it has the new refresh nose. Some 2016 don’t. Panoramic roof? Silver color? Leather seats? I am trying to think of what else has been discontinued.

Does it have MCU2?
You just described my 2016 Tesla! Refreshed silver S90D with grey leather and panoramic roof and FUSC (transferrable) for life. 😲

Hopefully they would've upgraded it to MCU2. If not, he should definitely consider upgrading this one to MCU2 and AP3 (FSD) if he buys it.

Upvote 0
Will Tesla be delivering it with current miles as shown on the odometer, or will they be resetting to zero?
I don't think there's any case where it would be legal for the odometer to be reset.

To sum up most of the other good points that have been raised, I think the main thing to understand and seek clarification on is what warranty and other contractual terms will be in effect on the car. My assumption is that the CURRENT version of all such docs would apply - not the versions from 2016. That means a limited mileage battery warranty along with all other other less than consumer friendly language changes that have happened in the last 5 years. I'd also assume there's no way you're getting free supercharging for life, old versions of the autopilot package, or anything else of the sort.

But again, all things that would need to be thoroughly understood and documented prior to considering a sale.

Upvote 0
First thing to check would be run a report on the VIN to see if it has ever been registered. Also, it if is going to be delivered to you as a "new" vehicle, untitiled, If it were a lemon law buy back, then there would still be evidence of the vehicle being titled. That is the sure way to know if it is truly as Tesla is advertising.
I'd also make sure I understood what warranty Tesla would be providing. Would they provide warranty as it existed at the time a 2016 car was originally to be sold, or the current new car warranty. One of the key differences there is that in 2016 the battery/drive unit warranty was 8 years/unlimited miles on the MS. Now there is a mileage limitation. That would be a key one that I'd want to confirm.
I'd also ask they to provide you details on what the current service status is on the car. Will they be delivering it to you as if it were a new car, meaning they are going to replace the oil in the drive unit (was required to be done a 12 mo/12,000 miles on a 2016 when sold), replace brake fluid so you know it is fresh (not just a test for moisture, but actually replace), and replace the battery coolant (2016s when originally sold had a 4 yr coolant change requirement).
You've said nothing about the miles on the car. Will Tesla be delivering it with current miles as shown on the odometer, or will they be resetting to zero? That's important to know what the starting miles is for your warranty.
I'd also press them to make sure all open safety recalls are performed on the vehicle. This would include the eMMC chip replacement if it's not already been performed.
If you can confirm all those items, not sure what they are offering you for it, but especially if it were to be a late 2016 with AP2, I'd think could be a really potential for a good deal and personally I'd be interested in it.
Thanks. Appreciate if you can share more details on how can can I check if it was ever registered. I am told that it was never by Tesla advisor.
On the warranty it's 4 yrs/50k and 8yrs/120K miles battery.
The car has 29K already and dont think they will replace replace oil/fluid.
Also they will not be resetting the miles to zero.
I am offered 60k for this and it has AP1 HW/ MCU 1 and not sure if it can be upgraded to FSD

Upvote 0
I don't think there's any case where it would be legal for the odometer to be reset.

To sum up most of the other good points that have been raised, I think the main thing to understand and seek clarification on is what warranty and other contractual terms will be in effect on the car. My assumption is that the CURRENT version of all such docs would apply - not the versions from 2016. That means a limited mileage battery warranty along with all other other less than consumer friendly language changes that have happened in the last 5 years. I'd also assume there's no way you're getting free supercharging for life, old versions of the autopilot package, or anything else of the sort.

But again, all things that would need to be thoroughly understood and documented prior to considering a sale.
Yes they wont reset the odometer. I am trying to confirm on the warranty but not sure if all the goods points mentioned above will be documented somewhere from Tesla. All I am getting for now is the text messages/calls from the Advisors.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Appreciate if you can share more details on how can can I check if it was ever registered. I am told that it was never by Tesla advisor.
On the warranty it's 4 yrs/50k and 8yrs/120K miles battery.
The car has 29K already and dont think they will replace replace oil/fluid.
Also they will not be resetting the miles to zero.
I am offered 60k for this and it has AP1 HW/ MCU 1 and not sure if it can be upgraded to FSD
Take a pass on this car at that price. AP1/mcu1 isn’t worth it for that price.

Upvote 0