Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Old 3 prong 40 amp Kiln outlet and circuit for Tesla charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When we bought our house over 10 years ago, the prior own had a kiln in the garage. This kiln was on a 40 amp separate outlet with a leviton 3 prong outlet.

Now, coming to today.... I am seriously looking at a Tesla and wonder for my house charger, can I just use this circuit and plug? Or should I re-wire and put a bigger plug. The outlet and panel are about 24 inches apart.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Cheers
Stuart

Is it a 10-50 or 6-50? Tesla sells a 6-50 adapter, so you're good to go with that one. If it's 10-50, you can get 3rd party adapters, but honestly it would make more sense to replace the outlet with a 6-50 (and re-configure the neutral as ground, per code compliance).

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yes, if you are not 100% comfortable with that kind of work, have an electrician replace it and inspect the wiring, connections, etc. I suggest that if your wiring can accommodate an upgrade, that you have them replace the 40A circuit breaker with a 50A, but it won't make any difference with the UMC that comes with the car -- it's just better future proofing and more "standard" usage for a 6-50.

one final question.... would I use the home charger with the adapter or a mobile charger with the adapter?
Here are the adapters you can plug into the current gen 2 Tesla Mobile Connector:

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

upload_2020-8-6_12-50-1.png

Similar adapters are also available for the older gen 1 Mobile Connector.

Either will work. You can add the 6-50 adapter to your mobile charger (UMC) for $35.
A home wall charger (HPWC) is $500, but provides a little more convenience, as well as boosting your charging speed if you are able to upgrade that 40A circuit to 50A (or 60A, for that matter, but it's rather unlikely you would be able to do so without replacing the wiring) (also - this part would not apply if you got an SR/SR+ Model 3, since the car itself can't draw more than what a 40A circuit provides in the first place).

When we bought our house over 10 years ago, the prior own had a kiln in the garage. This kiln was on a 40 amp separate outlet with a leviton 3 prong outlet.

Now, coming to today.... I am seriously looking at a Tesla and wonder for my house charger, can I just use this circuit and plug? Or should I re-wire and put a bigger plug. The outlet and panel are about 24 inches apart.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Cheers
Stuart
The important factor is the wire gauge. What size wire do you have and how many conductors?

Modern wire is labeled. If it is not, I would replace it because it is a short run. You can measure it with a caliper and look up the gauge.

Rocky - I just go for accuracy and truth so people are not mislead. Many think that electricity is magic and so they might believe that the charger is really somehow inside that little box in the cord. The UMC is an extension cord with several adapters available and some electronics intended to prevent electrocution and fires.

Quick update.... The current outlet is a 6-50. In the wires, it has a red, black and white connected to the outlet. the copper ground is just wrapped up sitting in the box. Running this outlet on the 40 amp circuit.

So new question - do I need to do anything now except get the 6-50 adapter for the mobile charger which comes with the car?
Thanks for all the comments, it's great to be part of a group of people who want to help out fellow Tesla owners (future owner).

Quick update.... The current outlet is a 6-50. In the wires, it has a red, black and white connected to the outlet. the copper ground is just wrapped up sitting in the box. Running this outlet on the 40 amp circuit.

So new question - do I need to do anything now except get the 6-50 adapter for the mobile charger which comes with the car?
Thanks for all the comments, it's great to be part of a group of people who want to help out fellow Tesla owners (future owner).

It is mis-wired. The white (neutral) wire should NOT be connected on a 6-50. The green safety ground should be used instead. Since you have all four wires, I'd recommend replacing the 6-50 with a 14-50.

FWIW, the previous owners of my house also had a kiln in the garage. I use the circuit for EV charging, but for various reasons I downgraded it to a 6-30. (Dodgy sub-panel, other loads, etc.)