Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Old charger connection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there. I hope someone can help me out with a quick question (and please let me know if this is in the wrong forum...)

We've just completed a roadtrip from SE England to Edinburgh for a week, which was great and had very few issues with queues at superchargers. The hotel we were staying in advertised an EV charger, so we were hoping to just be able to charge overnight. On arrival the staff informed us it was an "older Tesla type 1" connector and so it might not work in my new Model 3.

On investigation, I found this charging socket lying on the grass - it doesn't look like any type 1 picture I can find. We did see one Model S plugged in charging through the week, so it obviously works with some Teslas but not mine. It was connected to a charger with a Tesla logo etc, but not one of the current wall boxes.

After some googling it might be a Chademo socket, but I'm not sure. Anyone know what it might be and if an adaptor is available (as we're likely to return to the same hotel in future)?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• PXL_20230106_082647484.jpg
    PXL_20230106_082647484.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 145
Hi there. I hope someone can help me out with a quick question (and please let me know if this is in the wrong forum...)

We've just completed a roadtrip from SE England to Edinburgh for a week, which was great and had very few issues with queues at superchargers. The hotel we were staying in advertised an EV charger, so we were hoping to just be able to charge overnight. On arrival the staff informed us it was an "older Tesla type 1" connector and so it might not work in my new Model 3.

On investigation, I found this charging socket lying on the grass - it doesn't look like any type 1 picture I can find. We did see one Model S plugged in charging through the week, so it obviously works with some Teslas but not mine. It was connected to a charger with a Tesla logo etc, but not one of the current wall boxes.

After some googling it might be a Chademo socket, but I'm not sure. Anyone know what it might be and if an adaptor is available (as we're likely to return to the same hotel in future)?

Thanks in advance

Yes, it appears to be a Type 1 connector so you would need a Type 1 to Type 2 cable or an adapter ... but given the rarity of the Type 1 style it's not worth the cost ... you just don't see them around (well obviously you did!) But ... was this the end of a cable that could be removed from the wall unit? If so it may be that your own Type 2 cable would attach in its place.

This has nothing to do with Chademo which is a DC type of connection ... the equivalent of your CCS connection on your car. DC connectors are for rapid charging like at Superchargers or other brand rapids... not what hotels are offering ... they offer AC charging which would normally be a Type 2.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the confirmation. I was a bit confused because any pictures I can find online for type 1 sockets show 5 pins in a different configurations to the 4 in my photo?

This was lying on the grass and I'm 99% sure the other end was tethered to the charger. I think I'll lobby the hotel to invest in a type 2 charger, since I did see several model 3s in the carpark, so there would definitely be demand.

Upvote 0
Sorry @init6 - I didn't see your reply before I replied. Yes, I agree, that's the most likely looking connector. The wall box was branded Tesla, but I didn't take a photo. A bit annoyed with myself for not 100% checking what was connected to what, but being Scotland, it was freezing with horizontal rain 😂

Upvote 0