Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Old door latch system what to do ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, the other day a ranger came over to fix a window alignment thing. He told me I had the first latch system on my X front doors and will probably have to change it eventually. I have a pretty long trip coming up in couple days and Im a bit paranoid about the latch now. It worked flawelessly and still does, 8k miles. What happens if it fails on a roadtrip ? Does the car become undrivable ?

I've had two door latches fail on my 10 month old X. The passenger side FW door latch failed several months ago and the FW door would not fully close. It would go down fully but there was maybe an inch gap at the bottom. Since the closest service center is an hour and a half away even though I could drive the X (with constant warning that a door was open) it was too dangerous to drive on a highway so they flat bedded and replaced the latch. A couple months ago the front driver door latch failed. The door closed, it just wouldn't latch. Since the replacement only takes less than an hour I drove it to Springfield service center and they fixed it right away. Driving on I-80 at 60MPH and holding the door handle was somewhat scary but the door stayed close the entire time and what was weird was that as long as the X was moving the alarm stopped and the door seemed latched so it wasn't as bad as I had thought. But when I stopped the door would make a sound and the warning audible alarm would start but it never swung open. I made it easily to the service center and they replaced the latch.

Reactions: electricity
Hi guys, the other day a ranger came over to fix a window alignment thing. He told me I had the first latch system on my X front doors and will probably have to change it eventually. I have a pretty long trip coming up in couple days and Im a bit paranoid about the latch now. It worked flawelessly and still does, 8k miles. What happens if it fails on a roadtrip ? Does the car become undrivable ?
I was in the exact same boat. Plus my trip included winter weather with snow so I was not going to be happy of being locked out of my car or having the door not be able to close for 1500 miles.

My latches had never failed in 7.5k before but they insisted on swapping them a few weeks ago with a new design. I suspect at this point they are solid. The SC told me it was a complete new design and all cars would get them. Mine was one of the first to be done. I went for it and have not had any problems to date.

I was in the exact same boat. Plus my trip included winter weather with snow so I was not going to be happy of being locked out of my car or having the door not be able to close for 1500 miles.

My latches had never failed in 7.5k before but they insisted on swapping them a few weeks ago with a new design. I suspect at this point they are solid. The SC told me it was a complete new design and all cars would get them. Mine was one of the first to be done. I went for it and have not had any problems to date.

Yes , the Tesla Ranger told me the new ones don't fail. Thanks!

Reactions: madodel
My driver's door V1 latch has finally failed. When open, it cycles repeatedly and makes lots of clicking noises. Sometimes it closes all the way, sometimes not. It generally will not open from outside the car but will from inside. I guess I'll get updated to the new latches at my service visit.

My driver's door V1 latch has finally failed. When open, it cycles repeatedly and makes lots of clicking noises. Sometimes it closes all the way, sometimes not. It generally will not open from outside the car but will from inside. I guess I'll get updated to the new latches at my service visit.
After only 3 months of use, my new MX developed "driver door opens only partially", with lots of winding noises. Got it serviced and it & passenger door latches were both replaced. I thought it was the motor that opens the door failing......., but so far it's good.

I had the same problem and did a door reset outlined here in this forum....open the door from inside and swing it all the way out than slowly manually close the door and having it latch lock. I did this a couple of times to make sure it was calibrated and now am able to open from the inside or outside without any issues whatsoever. :)

I had the same problem and did a door reset outlined here in this forum....open the door from inside and swing it all the way out than slowly manually close the door and having it latch lock. I did this a couple of times to make sure it was calibrated and now am able to open from the inside or outside without any issues whatsoever. :)
Follow-up:
It turns out just a temporary fix, I needed the latches replaced which they came out and repaired. The door closes solidly now. I had to reset the windows because they wouldn't go up automatically. I had to hold the up button approximately 10x so that it would cancel out the old setting and than proceeded to use the window reset directions already mentioned. All is fine.