Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Old farts reminiscing about computers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny, but it's not "3dOg", it's "3d0g"

There is no "O" in hex. :)

You're right, but I do remember some people (not me) pronouncing that command as "three dog" instead of "three dee zero gee".

Anybody else remember looking through a dump and seeing 'deadbeef'?

Yep. More recently, those of us who work with IPv6 literal addresses get things like this:

facebook.com has IPv6 address 2a03:2880:f100:83:face:b00c:0:25de

("face:b00c"...no "k" in hex either.)

Bruce.

Is the "g" a command? It's not a hex value.

Yep. In the Apple ][ machine language monitor it means to start executing code at the address in hexadecimal that was just before the command. $3d0 was a vector to get back to the BASIC CLI prompt.

Wow....using tech trivia from when I was a kid in the 80s on an electric car Web forum. :)

Bruce.

Yep. In the Apple ][ machine language monitor it means to start executing code at the address in hexadecimal that was just before the command. $3d0 was a vector to get back to the BASIC CLI prompt.

Wow....using tech trivia from when I was a kid in the 80s on an electric car Web forum. :)

Bruce.
And if you're still feeling nostolgic...

Apple ][js

Yes, I believe it was "g" for "go".

thinking back it was G for GO on the Commodore as well, though the syntax was different - g<space>address

And deadc0de, feedface, and others that escape me at the moment...

The Harmony Cart for the Atari 2600 is a flash cartridge which utilizes an ARM chip with a number of drivers to support for the various cartridge schemes such as bankswitching (for games containing more than the 4K the Atari could address), extra RAM, coprocessors, etc. Put your games on an SD card, pop it into the Harmony and it displays a list of files. When you select a game it auto detects which driver to use.

We use 0x10adab1e (LOADABLE) to define a BIN that includes a built-in custom bankswitching driver. We're currently working on a new driver, which utilizes Bus Stuffing, to allow us to create 2600 games like this:
IMG_7740.jpg

Standalone games that can be created using the Melody board, which is the Harmony without the daughterboard containing the USB and SD slot.

Anybody else remember looking through a dump and seeing 'deadbeef'?

I remember seeing AXE and 101 in a 10x6bit memory word on the console of a Control Data Cyber 720 mainframe. Something like this:

170_console_122-2211_img.jpg

Turned out to be the magic word and magic number for ADVENTUR that got me into the room of giving. It was a happy xmas for everyone in the lab that year.

Cool! At Upenn in the early 80's, that's all we had as freshman CS students. I remember it fondly. I also got into a bit of trouble with that machine on several occasions, which I can't really talk about here. :)
Statute of limitations has expired... tell us yours and I might tell you mine (IBM 360/50 and CDC Cyber 72 and one of the first 10 Unix PDP-11s).

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Statute of limitations has expired
I'll start but it was not me, I just observed it.

A group of programmers were doing some debug work and put a whole bunch of error traps in their code with various 'off color' to say the least, messages. They went to dinner while a job was running. The system crashed all over the place and began to print out all of these dumps. A cleaning lady came upon them and just about cardiac-ed. Called her boss and the programmers were barred from the building and the project. This was way before remote access was available and cell phones were rare then too. The programmers were critical to the project and could not be replaced. You can imagine the creative ways that were tried/deployed to complete the very critical and large project..

When the IBM PC came out you had two choices: Basic interpreter or assembler. Anything serious had to be done with the assembler.

Don't forget UCSD p-System Pascal! The original IBM PC OS choices were PC-DOS or UCSD p-system.

Also the Lattice C compiler came out less than a year after the PC arrived, so C was what I used to write "serious" stuff. (Actually, Basic was quite up to the "serious" task once they added a compiler so it needn't be interpreted.)

I remember Turbo Pascal being pretty awesome on the IBM PC in the mid 80s.

And then a few years later Microsoft QuickC took over for quick and dirty apps and nice IDE.

Oh, I almost forgot! We were using IBM PCs to program in APL in the early 80s. Still my favorite language of all time. Because nothing else was available at the time at the computer center, I wrote a word processor in APL.

I remember Turbo Pascal being pretty awesome on the IBM PC in the mid 80s.

And then a few years later Microsoft QuickC took over for quick and dirty apps and nice IDE.

Oh, I almost forgot! We were using IBM PCs to program in APL in the early 80s. Still my favorite language of all time. Because nothing else was available at the time at the computer center, I wrote a word processor in APL.

I really liked Turbo C back in the late 80s. I thought it was a much better development environment than Microsoft's. Though MS buried them like everyone else. I use MS Visual Studio now like most people developing C/C++ for Windows.

Around 1989 I was working at Boeing and they were between aircraft projects so many of us were sitting around without much to do. For the 747-400 program someone in my group had designed an ISA board that interfaced with one of the data buses on the aircraft for one particular data gathering project. Three of us took a look at that card and figured out how to make a data analysis tool for anything using that bus. The guy who was supposed to be in charge of that card's future was telling everyone a completely new design was needed.

We made it work, even with the heaviest data loads. It became a huge hit and the guy who had been telling everyone a new card was needed was very embarrassed. He later championed a project for the 777program that was single handedly responsible for 10% of the $1 billion cost overrun. They looked into firing him, but couldn't quite figure out how to do it, so they demoted him and gave him scut work hoping he'd quit.

A couple of years later a lead position opened up in the software group and only two people applied for it. This guy who had experience developing software and a friend of mine who had an EE degree with the ink still wet on the diploma and no software experience at all. They gave the job to my friend.