TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Old-gen Seats Comfort Problem

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ChooseAnother, May 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ChooseAnother

ChooseAnother Member

Hello,

I really dislike the comfort of the old-gen seats! (2013) Is there any DIY or another advice which makes them more Next-gen'ish?

2. RobertF

RobertF Member

I agree, my problem (2014 S with leather seats) is the seats are too hard. I solved this problem with a cushion. Tried a pillow first to see if it helped and transferred to a comparable cushion for aesthetics.

3. ChooseAnother

ChooseAnother Member

I have problem mostly with the side bolsters. I need them much more narrower like Next-gens.

4. Yinn

Yinn Member

Scour eBay and replace them with newer ones. Those are expensive but I've seen a pair go for $1000 before.

5. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

About a year or more ago, people were reporting that service centers could "modify" first-gen seats to make them a little more comfortable. I believe people were saying that Tesla would clip a couple of the springs in the seats to make them a little less compliant. So I'd suggest asking your service center if there's a TSB about this. I never did it in my P85+, so I can't give you any more details.

You can swap out for the next-gen seats, but there's a safety retaining strap that needs to be installed inside each door panel, as well as the airbag computers needing re-programming. Tesla will install the next-gen seats and do the modifications for $6k+labor.

• Informative x 1
  6. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I remember reading that there is a change in the seat bottom just before the Next Gen seats came out to make them a bit softer. I wonder if that could be retrofitted?

7. Adam W

Adam W Member

I just scheduled a visit to the San Rafael SC to fix some other issues and look into making the front seats more comfortable. Tesla rep said she had never heard of the TSB for the fix but she is going to confirm when I go in on Wednesday. My wife hates the feel of the seats so fingers crossed they have a fix!

8. ChooseAnother

ChooseAnother Member

Any feedback?

9. Adam W

Adam W Member

They are still working on my car but the advisor did confirm there is a TSB for 1st Gen seats but only a certain vin range. Hopefully my car is in that range. The fix is removing some springs under the seat so there is more give to them.

10. demundus

demundus Member

The original seats from 2012 and 2013 generally suck. Kind of like sitting on boards. As more 2016+ cars become wrecked, the cost of Next gens will come down and you can snipe a set off there

11. David29

David29 Member

I have a long history of back problems and have always been fussy about car seats. When I first test drove a Model S in mid-2014, i did not really like the seats. As part of my process to decide whether to buy a Tesla, I rented a Model S for a day, from Hertz at SFO. I got a 2012 P85. Ironically, the seats in that car did not bother me, even though I was in them for many hours. The car did not have very high mileage (less than 20K miles, as I recall), so the seats should not have been worn out or anything, but I have always wondered what, if anything, was different about that car such that I was comfortable. (Or maybe I wasn't, and just put it out of my mind because I was so focused on enjoying the car for 24 hours!).

i tried one test drive in a Model S with "next generation seats", but did not really care for them -- too confining. But I did not drive with them for very long. Nor have I driven with the latest Model S seat design.

What I used in previous cars, and use in my own Model S, is an after-market seat cushion from SacroEase, like this one:
    Amazon.com: Sacro-Ease Back and Lumbar Support Car Cushion with Extra Padding - Light Brown Color: Home & Kitchen

12. demundus

demundus Member

I've heard anecdotally that people with back problems or chronic back pain love the 2012-2013s, i can only postulate its due to their stiffness and wide bolsters.

13. bakerboy

bakerboy Member

What about a head "pillow" or something nice looking to attach for head comfortableness?

14. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I did not know the seats where that bad until we got our X, the seats are much more comfortable. Maybe some day we will up grade to a 2018 S.

15. ChooseAnother

ChooseAnother Member

What you mean by "TBS" ? And what is the VIN range of yours please?

16. tomas

tomas Only partially psycho

Technical service bulletin. There is one. As others have noted, they clip some springs. Had it done on my 2012. If your service advisor says no, keep pressing.

• Like x 1
  17. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

The only issue I've had with our late 2012 S P85 seats is that the cushion for the driver's seat can be a little uncomfortable at times - and shifting position helps. This could indicate the seat cushion has deteriorated some - and either needs adjustment or replacement.

Hopefully they've fixed that in the new seats - so far we still love the Ultra White seats in our new S 100D...

18. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

Hard as Benz seats, I got nice soft seat pad at bed, bath, beyond.

19. Mike K

Mike K Member

Go sit in next gens and make sure those are your cup of tea as well. You might be trading one problem for another. The next gens are very aggressive sporty seats with intrusive side bolsters. I love them but a lot of people don't and wish they had the older seats. All in all, compared to say BMW multi-contour seats, both the next gens and original seats leave a lot to be desired.

20. Adam W

Adam W Member

Update: Picked up my car on Friday and Tesla Service did the TSB on my seats (they would not tell me what VIN range the TSB is but I suspect it is 2012-2013 seats). Much more give to them overall. Still not comparable to next gen seats but it is definitely an improvement.

• Informative x 1