TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Old Habits / New Habits

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by NigelM, Nov 6, 2012.

1. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Having lived with Model S for a week now I've realized that I learned some new habits and still have to rid myself of some old ones. Here's my list:

New habits:

• Walking away from the car without locking it. Did this with my Roadster twice already and had to go back and lock it.
    • Turn off the windscreen wipers before exiting the car. If they're left on when you approach the car and tap the handle you get a nice spray of water as the wipers swipe the wet windscreen (don't ask! :redface:)

Old habits:
    • My wife came running towards the passenger door when it was raining, door was locked, and I'm searching around for the unlock button by my left elbow. She got a little wet before I remembered to use the "driver controls" on the touchscreen.
    • Reaching for the key under the steering wheel when getting out of the car. I must have done this 20 times already and I feel stupider every time I do it.
    • Looking for buttons (a la Roadster) rather than the PDNR stalk.

I'm sure there's plenty more...add to the list.

2. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

The must have an AI in it and it is training you by squirting water at you.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I drove the Roadster for the first time in a week and got out leaving my car keys still in the 'ignition' I guess you'd call it. It's funny how quickly you get used to keeping your car keys in your pocket. I love that.

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Haha. Doesn't the S have auto wipers? If so, and they're on, odd that they wipe immediately. In all the cars I've owned with auto-wipers they only begin wiping when you're above, say, 10 mph (which can sometimes be annoying if you're creeping out of a parking space with water all over -- I think it should do a quick wipe as soon as you enter Drive or Reverse).

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Feel free to test it yourself Marcus. :tongue:

Although with a wet windscreen I recommend that you approach the car from the passenger side to see what happens when the car powers up.

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Probably can be fixed with a firmware update, i.e. upon unlock from outside the car, don't swipe the wipers until the driver's door has been opened and closed.

7. Laumb

Laumb smrtass.

Not the best solution. Our old Cee'd did that, and it broke the wipers, as it always did it. Even at sub zero temperatures and frost/rock ice on the windshield.

_____
    Tapatalkin' from iTalatut.

8. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Haha, nah ill take your word and experience for it :)

Hmm, good point. Never had my windows iced over, so not sure how it would handle that scenario. I bet it sees the ice as something on the windshield and tries to wipe. Though, wouldn't you scrape the ice off the windshield before driving off anyway?

9. slindell

slindell Model S Sig #353

Every time I park I still lift my left foot to set the parking brake.

10. Laumb

Laumb smrtass.

Well, it was a stick, so it did a wipe on engine start. Might be different if it was an auto. Don't know...

But then, i just leave the ice on if im say, backing the car 20 feet In to my Garage. Would be inconvenient to scrape of for a small reverse drive. Roll down the side windows and reverse. Gets you all the viewing one needs...

_____
    Tapatalkin' from iTalatut.

11. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

On the M5, it has auto-wipers, but once the car is off, you must re-activate the auto-wipe function (a little green light glows on the wiper stalk) by pressing the button once again. I have never found this to be inconvenient to use. It would be nice if Tesla simply programmed that functionality into the wiper system.

12. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

I can tell you what happens. I got water all over me, the door, and the inside of the car.

I urged ownership @ Tesla to change it so auto wipers don't come on until later ...

13. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Ditto. Is this the real ROTEC?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's another new habit (although this is one that will hopefully wear off):

• Last thing before going to bed, going to check the Model S is actually charging. (With the Roadster I can just peek through the rear window or I can just hear it charging. The Model S is so incredibly silent, I've found myself wondering if it was actually charging).

14. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Are you in the app beta? I thought the app had the ability to check charging status (if you are, I know you can't tell).

15. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

No. But checking the app is another new habit waiting to happen.

16. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

I love auto-headlights. Auto-wipers on the other hand, meh. I keep the wipers turned off in my Mercedes until it rains and then I turn them on auto until the rain is finished.

17. mdh

mdh VIN 2747 P4679

can you turn off the auto-wiper feature on the S or is it always on?

18. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

You can turn it off.

19. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Same here with our Mini. The auto wipers are indeed over eager at times. Like spatters said above, BMWs/Minis turn off the auto wipe automatically when the car's turned off and one must reactivate it manually; Tesla should do the same.

20. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Unfortunately, with the Mercedes controls, the switch is a physical one, so Tesla will not be able to modify it in software.