Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Old Habits / New Habits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having lived with Model S for a week now I've realized that I learned some new habits and still have to rid myself of some old ones. Here's my list:

New habits:

• Walking away from the car without locking it. Did this with my Roadster twice already and had to go back and lock it.
  • Turn off the windscreen wipers before exiting the car. If they're left on when you approach the car and tap the handle you get a nice spray of water as the wipers swipe the wet windscreen (don't ask! :redface:)

Old habits:
  • My wife came running towards the passenger door when it was raining, door was locked, and I'm searching around for the unlock button by my left elbow. She got a little wet before I remembered to use the "driver controls" on the touchscreen.
  • Reaching for the key under the steering wheel when getting out of the car. I must have done this 20 times already and I feel stupider every time I do it.
  • Looking for buttons (a la Roadster) rather than the PDNR stalk.

I'm sure there's plenty more...add to the list.

I drove the Roadster for the first time in a week and got out leaving my car keys still in the 'ignition' I guess you'd call it. It's funny how quickly you get used to keeping your car keys in your pocket. I love that.

The must have an AI in it and it is training you by squirting water at you.

Haha. Doesn't the S have auto wipers? If so, and they're on, odd that they wipe immediately. In all the cars I've owned with auto-wipers they only begin wiping when you're above, say, 10 mph (which can sometimes be annoying if you're creeping out of a parking space with water all over -- I think it should do a quick wipe as soon as you enter Drive or Reverse).

Feel free to test it yourself Marcus. :tongue:

Although with a wet windscreen I recommend that you approach the car from the passenger side to see what happens when the car powers up.

Haha, nah ill take your word and experience for it :)

Not the best solution. Our old Cee'd did that, and it broke the wipers, as it always did it. Even at sub zero temperatures and frost/rock ice on the windshield.

_____
Tapatalkin' from iTalatut.

Hmm, good point. Never had my windows iced over, so not sure how it would handle that scenario. I bet it sees the ice as something on the windshield and tries to wipe. Though, wouldn't you scrape the ice off the windshield before driving off anyway?

Well, it was a stick, so it did a wipe on engine start. Might be different if it was an auto. Don't know...

But then, i just leave the ice on if im say, backing the car 20 feet In to my Garage. Would be inconvenient to scrape of for a small reverse drive. Roll down the side windows and reverse. Gets you all the viewing one needs...

_____
Tapatalkin' from iTalatut.

On the M5, it has auto-wipers, but once the car is off, you must re-activate the auto-wipe function (a little green light glows on the wiper stalk) by pressing the button once again. I have never found this to be inconvenient to use. It would be nice if Tesla simply programmed that functionality into the wiper system.

Feel free to test it yourself Marcus. :tongue:

Although with a wet windscreen I recommend that you approach the car from the passenger side to see what happens when the car powers up.

I can tell you what happens. I got water all over me, the door, and the inside of the car.

I urged ownership @ Tesla to change it so auto wipers don't come on until later ...

I can tell you what happens. I got water all over me....

Ditto. Is this the real ROTEC?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's another new habit (although this is one that will hopefully wear off):

• Last thing before going to bed, going to check the Model S is actually charging. (With the Roadster I can just peek through the rear window or I can just hear it charging. The Model S is so incredibly silent, I've found myself wondering if it was actually charging).

Ditto. Is this the real ROTEC?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's another new habit (although this is one that will hopefully wear off):

• Last thing before going to bed, going to check the Model S is actually charging. (With the Roadster I can just peek through the rear window or I can just hear it charging. The Model S is so incredibly silent, I've found myself wondering if it was actually charging).

Are you in the app beta? I thought the app had the ability to check charging status (if you are, I know you can't tell).

I keep the wipers turned off in my Mercedes until it rains and then I turn them on auto until the rain is finished.

Same here with our Mini. The auto wipers are indeed over eager at times. Like spatters said above, BMWs/Minis turn off the auto wipe automatically when the car's turned off and one must reactivate it manually; Tesla should do the same.