Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Old Model S + Original Drive Unit = Good Buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I’ve seen this question a few times but I couldn’t find a direct answer with it at all. I have a newer model 3 but my brother is looking at a used 2013 Model S 60 for about $24k. New HV battery in 2019 but original drive unit with 109k miles. The current owner has had the car 5 years with no issues or noises, my brother has the service records with nothing about the drive unit being noted. I know the older model s’s had bad drive units but if this one has lasted 109k miles is it one of the few good ones or pass? Thanks!

Hello,

I’ve seen this question a few times but I couldn’t find a direct answer with it at all. I have a newer model 3 but my brother is looking at a used 2013 Model S 60 for about $24k. New HV battery in 2019 but original drive unit with 109k miles. The current owner has had the car 5 years with no issues or noises, my brother has the service records with nothing about the drive unit being noted. I know the older model s’s had bad drive units but if this one has lasted 109k miles is it one of the few good ones or pass? Thanks!
Would not touch an out of warranty S60 with a 10 foot pole.

Does the replacement HV battery have a warranty?

Reactions: mswlogo
Upvote 0
Not to my knowledge. The car itself does appear to be well taken care of. Battery replacement in 2019, MCU 2 replacement, new charger, etc. is it mostly the big things that can go wrong with these older ones or death by a thousand cuts kinda thing?
HV battery is biggest cost. So that being replaced in 2019 most likely gives it several years more HV battery life. A refurb drive unit purchased and installed by Tesla is like, $4500 I THINK. Thats IF you need it. There are drive units that have gone into 150k mile plus range, with no issues.

Also, as an FYI there is a company that now offers a service plan on battery packs if interested

Reactions: wk057
Upvote 0
I had not seen that extended warranty before. Might be worth it just in case for him. I think he was mostly worried about the drive unit since that’s still original with the battery THEORETICALLY being ok since it’s only 3 years old. If he gets too scared of a used Tesla he might go to a Bolt haha.

Upvote 0
Hello,

It was probably a refurb battery.

Upvote 0