Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Old Options vs New on P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. I can't help but feel for you guys on the fence (new options announced but can't get them without significant cost increase). I'd probably be pissed off just as much if I was in your situation. And if I were a current owner having to worry about retrofit prices. I guess I'm just really hard to please. :redface:

Still, like you, I don't really understand Tesla not letting cars not-yet-in-production get the cheaper upgrade price without having to totally reconfigure. I've heard of people being allowed to change things like their paint colour and wheel options when the car is already in production, so you'd think adding parking sensors to the order wouldn't be much more difficult. They must already have the process worked out to offer the option. So, instead of your car stopping a points A, B, and D on the production line, it stops at A, B, C, and D. It must be more complicated than that though, otherwise they'd be accommodating people. Anyway, this has already been discussed to death on other threads and, AFAIK, Tesla has yet to budge.

Yeah. I can't help but feel for you guys on the fence (new options announced but can't get them without significant cost increase). I'd probably be pissed off just as much if I was in your situation. And if I were a current owner having to worry about retrofit prices. I guess I'm just really hard to please. :redface:

Still, like you, I don't really understand Tesla not letting cars not-yet-in-production get the cheaper upgrade price without having to totally reconfigure. I've heard of people being allowed to change things like their paint colour and wheel options when the car is already in production, so you'd think adding parking sensors to the order wouldn't be much more difficult. They must already have the process worked out to offer the option. So, instead of your car stopping a points A, B, and D on the production line, it stops at A, B, C, and D. It must be more complicated than that though, otherwise they'd be accommodating people. Anyway, this has already been discussed to death on other threads and, AFAIK, Tesla has yet to budge.

Most of the uproar was over parking sensors - a feature I don't want or need. What I really want is the fog lights because those can have a safety benefit in certain situations - parking sensors, not so much. My understanding is that all Model S w/ Performance package come with harnesses for fog lights, so that should be a very easy and relatively inexpensive add-on. I also believe the reason retrofitting parking sensors will be expensive is not the sensors or wiring - pretty sure current cars rolling off the line w/ performance package already have the harnesses in place. I think it's punching through the bumpers that is going to add cost.