Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Old order coming off hold: sell or cancel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I am planning to cancel my order b/c it no longer makes sense for me at this time as they said I must take delivery in December or face cancellation (VIN assigned already). I have an old order with favorable pricing (white on white 51k base, 5k FSD), is there a way to sell it to someone else (or transfer it to my friend in a different state) while taking delivery so it's basically new? Or should I just give up and cancel? Would Carvana give a good deal for a "new" car? I tried to put 2022 Model Y and/or the VIN in their site but it doesn't exist. I also don't understand if it makes sense to leave the FSD on if I'm planning to immediately sell it as it's unclear to me if that would transfer to be valued 1:1 in a sale.

Also, I didn't see anyone selling a new car on Carvana so I don't even know if it makes sense to incur the sales tax/fees and try to sell it. Especially if BBB passes and everything drops by 8k. Currently I'm just planning to cancel it.

Thanks for your help.

I'm in a similar situation where I expect to be kicked off of Hold soon myself but at $52.5k base, MSM paint that is now free, and no hefty FSD discount like you. With your current config currently going for $70k with a July, 2022 delivery date, I think you should take delivery.

Even with our high WA sales tax and registration fees, I think that you can take delivery, drive to Carmax and make a few $k's immediately. I would take delivery at that price.

Upvote 0
Seems like I would need to do a private sale for it to be worth it? A 3P like carmax wouldn't be able to sell for 70k since they have to charge sales tax and whatnot. My price is ~65k so if I could sell to a private individual for 68-70k then maybe that could work out, then again if it gets delayed at all then BBB (or the supposed refresh) could ruin my bargaining position. Am I not valuing the immediacy vs waiting until July+ properly?

How fast can I sell to a private individual? Would I be able to bring one to the delivery appointment and just immediately turn around and sell it to them so they are buying a new car instead of used? Has anyone ever done something like this?

Upvote 0
How fast can I sell to a private individual? Would I be able to bring one to the delivery appointment and just immediately turn around and sell it to them so they are buying a new car instead of used? Has anyone ever done something like this?
The question is why would a private individual do that? You can pick up a demo MYLR or MYP for $58K or $66K via free inventory by scanning Discord channels.

Selling to Carvana or CarMax would be much easier. I recall getting $60-$62K on a new Oct 2021 MYLR with 20" inductions when I last looked on Carvana/Vroom... you might get a tad more. It wasn't worth it for me because that was my break even price after taxes and registration and fees.

Personally, I'd try to transfer your reservation and ask for some % of the price difference if it completes (Tesla doesn't approve of this officially). There are two methods 1) forfeit your Tesla account (easiest) 2) change the registration info to buyer (not officially supported by Tesla and makes trade in and financing more complicated). Since you have your VIN... it's probably arriving in WA state and best find somebody in that area. Post to the For Sale area.

I'm actually going through the process now. PM me if you have more questions.

Upvote 0
Well the reason would be if you have this configuration in WA it would cost ~77k after sales tax/destination fee, so they would be getting a 7k discounted new car immediately. But I see your point and that's why I'm leaning toward just canceling since everything else seems too complicated and risky.

Upvote 0
5CC2D8DB-FA0F-4A68-B9A5-F980A8C19CB7.jpeg
Sell it. Here is what dealers are paying. Go to givemethevin or vroom or carvana. They’ll give you $62-65k.

Upvote 0
Hey all,

I am planning to cancel my order b/c it no longer makes sense for me at this time as they said I must take delivery in December or face cancellation (VIN assigned already). I have an old order with favorable pricing (white on white 51k base, 5k FSD), is there a way to sell it to someone else (or transfer it to my friend in a different state) while taking delivery so it's basically new? Or should I just give up and cancel? Would Carvana give a good deal for a "new" car? I tried to put 2022 Model Y and/or the VIN in their site but it doesn't exist. I also don't understand if it makes sense to leave the FSD on if I'm planning to immediately sell it as it's unclear to me if that would transfer to be valued 1:1 in a sale.

Also, I didn't see anyone selling a new car on Carvana so I don't even know if it makes sense to incur the sales tax/fees and try to sell it. Especially if BBB passes and everything drops by 8k. Currently I'm just planning to cancel it.

Thanks for your help.
Hey did you take vehicle delivery or cancelled. I am interested in your vehicle if you are in Midwest or east coast . please do let me know if the vehicle is available. my MY order got canceled because it was on hold after dec 2

Upvote 0
I'm in a similar situation where I expect to be kicked off of Hold soon myself but at $52.5k base, MSM paint that is now free, and no hefty FSD discount like you. With your current config currently going for $70k with a July, 2022 delivery date, I think you should take delivery.

Even with our high WA sales tax and registration fees, I think that you can take delivery, drive to Carmax and make a few $k's immediately. I would take delivery at that price.
If you plan on doing that then for sure drop the FSD for $5k. You will not get the $5k back if you sell to Carvana Vroom or Carmax. If you sell privately then the FSD will be more valuable. Used car dealers will give you next to nothing for FSD

Upvote 0
Hey did you take vehicle delivery or cancelled. I am interested in your vehicle if you are in Midwest or east coast . please do let me know if the vehicle is available. my MY order got canceled because it was on hold after dec 2
I didn't take delivery. The order was back on hold for awhile (date went back to Jan 1) but seems to have been canceled without any notification (or at least it completely disappeared from the app/website). I'm trying to figure out where my deposit ($2500) went.

Upvote 0
Protip: Don't talk to online chat. They kept telling me there was no refundable deposit.

I called the Tesla local store number: They have no idea when the order was canceled, but claim I should receive the deposit in the mail 4 weeks after whenever it was canceled (which they don't know when that was). I need to follow up after this vague timeframe if I haven't received it at which point they will escalate it.

They really need to get their act together as more competition starts to hit the market, this was one of the overall worst experiences I've had with any purchase. I went from a hyped day 0 order to completely churning out. Hoping to revisit in another year or two.

Good luck to everyone else!

Reactions: rishid and kithytom
Upvote 0
Protip: Don't talk to online chat. They kept telling me there was no refundable deposit.

I called the Tesla local store number: They have no idea when the order was canceled, but claim I should receive the deposit in the mail 4 weeks after whenever it was canceled (which they don't know when that was). I need to follow up after this vague timeframe if I haven't received it at which point they will escalate it.

They really need to get their act together as more competition starts to hit the market, this was one of the overall worst experiences I've had with any purchase. I went from a hyped day 0 order to completely churning out. Hoping to revisit in another year or two.

Good luck to everyone else!
My cousin got estimated delivery of Jan 8 - Jan 29.
On Dec 26, all of a sudden, delivery is ready and schedule delivery page shows up in the App for either Dec 29 or 30.
Then on Dec 27, it is AUTOMATICALLY scheduled for Dec 29 delivery.
And then on Dec 28 (as of today), the order became on hold until Jan 8.

My cousin didn't request any of these actions but it's hilarious to watch how his order being modified among two teams’ civil war - sales and delivery operations. My guess is that delivery operations' next move will be cancelling his order and the sales advisor will say there is nothing they can do lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

My Ford (Mach-E) and VW (ID.4) orders aren't better than my Tesla orders. I have no clue if Ford or the dealer will honor 2021 prices when I get the delivery in mid-2022 and no idea if the dealer will change their policy and add markup ($5K?). My 2021 VW order got bump to 2022 with a price increase... and no idea about dealer markup ($5K?) also and forced add-ons (tints, mats, extended warranties) I experienced with my first ID.4. I've heard the Hyundai/Ioniq 5 reservation is meaningless. EV6 is worse. No idea about that ETA and dealers will markup $5K/$10K. My Rivian R1S is scheduled for a mid-2023 delivery!!! Meanwhile they hold onto my $1K deposit.

Tesla needs competent competition.

Upvote 0