Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Old Tesla App No Longer Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife & I had not updated our iPhones to the new Tesla app, just our iPads because we don't like the new UI. It is significantly worse than the old UI. For example, you can't adjust the charge limit if the car isn't plugged in. On the screen where you see where the car is on a map you can no longer see vehicle speed, that's now on a different screen. And there are more issues. But as of today the old mobile app no longer works... This is very frustrating!!

Unless I'm not understanding you, you can adjust the charge limit if not plugged in. Just tap the charge icon and slide the dot to where you want it. No?
On our Model S I do not see the charging limit setting unless the charge port is open. If the car is driving I cannot adjust the charge limit. If the car is off & parked I cannot adjust the charge limit unless I open the charge port. Then when I close the charge port the charging window disappears in the app. Is it different for your car?

I uploaded a video. There's nothing anywhere to adjust the charge limit unless the charge port is open.
You’re looking in the wrong place. Touch the charge (lightning bolt) icon on the main screen and you’ll see this (version 4.7.1 of the app):

04F0254F-430D-4069-BF5E-359E6182CBB8.jpeg

You’re looking in the wrong place. Touch the charge (lightning bolt) icon on the main screen and you’ll see this (version 4.7.1 of the app):

View attachment 793190
That button opens the charge port. It is not a solution. I removed it from my favorite icons because I want other things quickly accessible. The problem is that you can't adjust the charge limit without opening the charge port. What do you do when the car is driving & can't open the charge port?

That button opens the charge port. It is not a solution. I removed it from my favorite icons because I want other things quickly accessible. The problem is that you can't adjust the charge limit without opening the charge port. What do you do when the car is driving & can't open the charge port?
I didn’t realize that opens the charge port, and the visualization of the car in the screenshot doesn’t show the charge port open. I tried it on a Model 3, and the visualization did show the charge port open there, so maybe it doesn’t open the port on a Model S? Either way, I assume the charge port wouldn’t open if the car is in drive, and if you’re in the car, you can use the touchscreen to change the charge limit.

Wait till I get to someplace that I am going to charge at, before attempting to change the charge limit? I noticed it opens the charge port but, my thought is.. so? You are obviously not going to be charging while you are driving, and when you get to someplace where you can charge, whether it opens the port or not is not really a hinderance to changing this setting.

I change mine all the time ( because I set the car to a different charging level at home when I am not driving into work for a few days, vs when I drive into work, vs when I decide I want to charge at the chargers at work). "I cant change the slider in the app while I am driving" impacts your ability to change this slider and charge, how?

Why would you need to change the charge limit remotely through the app when the car is driving and/or not plugged in?

I didn’t realize that opens the charge port, and the visualization of the car in the screenshot doesn’t show the charge port open. I tried it on a Model 3, and the visualization did show the charge port open there, so maybe it doesn’t open the port on a Model S? Either way, I assume the charge port wouldn’t open if the car is in drive, and if you’re in the car, you can use the touchscreen to change the charge limit.
The visualization is terrible in the new app compared to the old app. The lightning bolt button for sure opens the charge port. It opens & closes it on the S.
Wait till I get to someplace that I am going to charge at, before attempting to change the charge limit? I noticed it opens the charge port but, my thought is.. so? You are obviously not going to be charging while you are driving, and when you get to someplace where you can charge, whether it opens the port or not is not really a hinderance to changing this setting.

I change mine all the time ( because I set the car to a different charging level at home when I am not driving into work for a few days, vs when I drive into work, vs when I decide I want to charge at the chargers at work). "I cant change the slider in the app while I am driving" impacts your ability to change this slider and charge, how?
Like you we change our charge level daily. When I happen to think about what the charge level should be for the following day I would like to change it. I shouldn't have to wait for the car to be parked. In the car the UI is quite poor & is also now only accessible when the charge port is open with V11, so I can't change it while driving now. And now in the app I can't change it either. This means the only option is to use commands in TeslaFi. WIth the old app & V10 in the car I could change the charge level at any time either in the car or with the app. Now I cannot. Tesla continues to make their UI worse with every update.
Why would you need to change the charge limit remotely through the app when the car is driving and/or not plugged in?
Because I happen to think about a future need to have a different charge level. Why should Tesla place new limits on when I can adjust the charge limit with these UI changes. I should be able to change the charge limit whenever I want, not only when the car is parked & not only when the charge port is open. If I don't do it when I think about it I'll forget & then the car won't be properly charged for the following day.

Incorrect. You can simply tap the battery icon at the top and drag the slider that appears below the car visualization (See post #8 above) It does NOT open the charge port door. It CAN be done when the car is driving. Maybe there was a time in the early stages of the new app where you couldn't do this, but you CAN now.

I have been using the older version, better app than new one. However, I can no longer log in to the app on my Android phone.

Just last night logging in not possible.

Why? It downloads and installs, but when I try to log in message is Sign In Failed, unauthorized.

The older app is soooo much better for Power Wall, Solar users than the new one.

In the new one you can not over-lay usage charts, etc.

Anyone have any ideas on how to continue using the older application.

Thanks

Incorrect. You can simply tap the battery icon at the top and drag the slider that appears below the car visualization (See post #8 above) It does NOT open the charge port door. It CAN be done when the car is driving. Maybe there was a time in the early stages of the new app where you couldn't do this, but you CAN now.
Wow! That’s exactly the kind of solution I was looking for! Thank you so much!

Not sure the fact that the old app doesn't work anymore has been addressed properly so here's my (software developer) opinion: A new app was developed that, along with having a different UI and set of features, used a newer and more secure way to communicate and/or authenticate. They left the old cloud services online for a while to give enough time for people to migrate to the new version. After a while they shut down the old, less secure services. That means the old app doesn't work anymore.
Said another way: it's not "because they want to force a crappy app on everyone", don't see everything you dislike as evil. I believe there's a software security reason behind it. Yes, this comes bundled with other changes you might not like, but you cannot cherry-pick.

My old phone finally allowed me back in. Was throwing a Try Back Later message for the past week or so.
So now the old app is working for you? Darn! We already updated our devices. But I noticed yesterday morning that on my old Android tablet that I use for Scan My Tesla the old Tesla app was working yesterday morning. I hadn’t thought to check the Android tablet when the iOS version of the app first stopped working.

The old app continues to work even if you close the message saying it’s no longer supported. I agree the new app is a backward step as far as the human interface, graphics, readability and ease of use is concerned. Why Tesla have done this it’s hard to understand perhaps their app 3.0 software engineers have since left the company!

• Helpful
Reactions: hybridbear