Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Cars Charger Priority?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California
The other day I went to the Hard Rock Hotel in South Lake Tahoe. It was packed with never more than 2 stalls free for more that a few minutes. I arrived with about 30% SoC and got around 50 kW rate as I was paired with another X. After about 20 minutes that X departed and my rate climbed to 110 kw for a good solid 10 minutes until a M3 pulled into the other paired slot. I was fully expecting my rate to stay at around 100 kW but instead it plunged to 36 kW and over 10 minutes climbed again to 50 kW. It then started to degrade again to around around 20 kW and then I reached my 80% target and ended the charging session.

I am confused why when the M3 set up next to me in the A slot of my paired charger (I was B) they curtailed my charging speed when I was there first. Any thoughts?

The other day I went to the Hard Rock Hotel in South Lake Tahoe. It was packed with never more than 2 stalls free for more that a few minutes. I arrived with about 30% SoC and got around 50 kW rate as I was paired with another X. After about 20 minutes that X departed and my rate climbed to 110 kw for a good solid 10 minutes until a M3 pulled into the other paired slot. I was fully expecting my rate to stay at around 100 kW but instead it plunged to 36 kW and over 10 minutes climbed again to 50 kW. It then started to degrade again to around around 20 kW and then I reached my 80% target and ended the charging session.

I am confused why when the M3 set up next to me in the A slot of my paired charger (I was B) they curtailed my charging speed when I was there first. Any thoughts?
It actually used to work that way. That meant the second person to arrive could only get what was left over from your session, perhaps less than what they could have gotten from charging at home. Especially with newer cars capable pulling higher rates for longer periods of time. Consider what it would be like if you pulled in and could only get 5-10 kw.

Tesla changed that a few years ago, so that any user could count on at least getting 72 kw. I was annoyed by that at first. But then I decided turning both stalls into at least 72 kw is probably more equitable, after all that at least equals what you get from an Urban Supercharger. I don't know why you dropped to 50 kw, I've only dropped to 72 kw when happening to me. Now I keep a look out for V3 and 250 kw, perhaps soon, 300 kw on my common routes.

Same here, I've dropped from 140kW to 72kW when someone connected on the paired stall. Was disappointed because I was there first and chose my stall to be alone, but it does sound fairer that way.
Note: your title doesn't suit your subject very well. At first I thought you were talking about older cars = 2015 and earlier, something like that. It's not at all what you were talking about :)

At first I thought you were talking about older cars = 2015
I think a 2016 is an older car since it has MCU1 and AP1. 🙂

Anyway thanks for the paired charging update. Not sure why I would only get 50kW (actually went down to 36k when the M3 first connected but that could be the pairing algo just rebounding at the start). 72 kW would have been acceptable. But as I got to 80%, 50k would be OK.