Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older cell phones not working due to software update to Bluetooth 2.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until mid September, 2020 I was able to use my older style LG-B450 flip phone via Bluetooth in my 2013 Model S. Sometime after that it stopped working. Even though my phone could both receive and send calls through the Bluetooth connection, and the driver's display would show the call as active and begin the timer, I could not hear the person on the other end of the call and that person could not hear me. In other words - no sound in either direction. After disconnecting and reconnecting the phone on multiple occasions the problem persisted. I reported the problem to Tesla and received a mobile service appointment. However, after examining the problem remotely they terminated the appointment and closed out the ticket, BUT did not tell me why.

HERE'S what I learned from the Tesla Service Center I visited today: a recent software update has deleted the ability of phones not having Bluetooth 2.1 capability of using Bluetooth, which includes the phone I had been using successfully up to that time. I am disappointed that Tesla did not tell me that this is what was causing my failure to communicate through the car's Bluetooth when they cancelled my service ticket on this issue, forcing me to go in to the Service Center to find out. At this point if I want to have a Bluetooth cell phone connection in my car I need to replace my current older phone with a "smart" phone with 2.1 Bluetooth connection.

Whilst it is frustrating, I had the opposite problem and my 06 Audi BT connection did not support the address book for my Samsung S10. Overall I would say it is better that Tesla keeps the BT updated in the car which will have a longer lifespan than most mobile phones.