TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Older Model S Reliability Improvement?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Brutaka, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Brutaka

Brutaka Member

Hi everyone,

So a quick question. Has the improvement on the older Model S's improved at all? I'm looking at a 2015 Model S 85D and wonder if it's worth looking into or wait for something that's late 2016 and up for when the refresh happened?

2. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

Here’s what’s broke in 3 years of owning a 2015 85D. In my opinion there isn’t much difference between ‘15 and ‘16 / ‘17 in terms of reliability.

• Like x 1
  3. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

U can’t go wrong with 15 85D

• Like x 1
  4. Brutaka

Brutaka Member

Well I'm debating between a new model 3 it an older model s. I prefer the looks and hatchback. Plus having two screens is a big plus. I'm just concerned about the door handles and all these small issues that seem to still arise for some owners.

• Like x 1
  5. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Have had 2 S’s with combined 95k miles never had handle issues ...or anything significant other than changing tires :oops:

• Like x 1
  6. DanCar

DanCar Member

#6 DanCar, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Do you need to worry about if you buy a CPO? Watch the CPO prices and you can get one for as low as $55K plus shipping with 4 year warranty.
    Inventory Search | Tesla
    Tesla Inventory Search
    EV-CPO.com - Tesla New, Used, and CPO Inventory Listings
    I bought a 2013 with 86K miles. Spent the first week in the shop, but was nice, because Tesla gave me a better Model S with panoramic roof. Major issue was battery coolant was leaking.

• Like x 1
  7. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

The driver door handle on my 2015 85D had to be changed a couple of years ago. No problems since then.

• Like x 1
  8. Lex

Lex Member

I have a May 2015-built 70D. Most serviced car I've ever owned but it's not been a big deal for me.
    - Pack went into limp mode, was replaced (before 1st year I think ?)
    - door handles, oh door handles.
    - misc. little stuff and wear and tear items.

But, if you ask me, some things are a bit better quality in this era:
    - Turn stalk and general steering controls have a bit more weighty feel vs. newer.
    - A big dead zone in the steering center was added later, these mid-2015 have more accurate steering response directly from center.

I think I remember a couple more things that got cheaper, not better but no big deal, and the newer cars of course get the USB and cup holders for back seat, center console (meh ?) new front end design, AP2, MCU2, etc. but as far as older tech goes, these cars seem to hold up. I still love mine that's for sure. And AP1 was actually better until... soon/now (? uh oh hope I don't start anything lol)