Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Model S Single or Dual Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have dual chargers on mine but wasn't specifically looking for the option when I was car shopping. I only charge at 32a at home from a NEMA 14-50 and it's never been a problem for me.

The only time so far that I've used the 80a potential is this past weekend when I took a trip where supercharging wasn't an option at my destination and had to use destination chargers. In this case, the 80a was a very welcome feature and saved me a bit of time, but how often would I do this or similar trips? Once a year? Twice a year?

Reactions: BrokerDon
I have dual chargers on mine but wasn't specifically looking for the option when I was car shopping. I only charge at 32a at home from a NEMA 14-50 and it's never been a problem for me.

The only time so far that I've used the 80a potential is this past weekend when I took a trip where supercharging wasn't an option at my destination and had to use destination chargers. In this case, the 80a was a very welcome feature and saved me a bit of time, but how often would I do this or similar trips? Once a year? Twice a year?

Exactly my experience. Dual 40A chargers (80A charging) in our inventory 2015 P85D has been nice.... but honestly now that we've had our P85D for 4 years I rarely actually found it to be an advantage over 40A and wouldn't have paid for the upgrade to dual 40A chargers.

The current 48A chargers should be fine for 99% of Tesla's customers... which is why they standardized on it.

how do I do that at my house?
even possible?
thanks!
You can't get 277 at a normal single family residence, however a 240 volt 100 amp circuit will deliver 19 to 20kw which is nothing to sneeze at. 277 volts is one of the possible outcomes when connecting to 3 phase power.

I have twin chargers and the 100A circuit needed to utilize them. Don't need it every day, but it comes in handy! I also have installed a 100A circuit at one of my favorite destinations that is over 100 miles away from home. This allows me to do short visits there, and then return back home without a charging stop.

I'm not heavily worried about it. My estimates will likely average what you and your wife do. I'll probably only have to charge once or twice a week. I do however plan to Uber to help pay for my new car so this is where the concern comes in. I know that it's frowned upon to always use the superchargers. I haven't yet figured out if overuse is prohibited for my local supercharger.

Here has been MY expierience with UBER / LYFTING, keep in mind this is in Portland OR. where people generally don't like cars and has anti-car culture...

I have been driving uber / lyft about 4-5 years now part time... off/ on
I would ONLY drive the premium versions Lyft-LUX and UBER Select). Demand for these is VERY low here, and I do not drive much between rides to save milage and range. I would get about 1.50 to $2.00 per mile at about 75 miles average per night.

Tips tend to be better and more frequent as well!!
not to mention the routine "speeches" I would get on a VERY frequent basis about the car, how it drives, financials.. ect ect. even given out several referral codes.

I have used other "premium" vehicles (Mercedes CLS 63 AMGs, Audi S4) as well as a minivan for XL as it pays the same as premium BUT with many more ride requests! and more comfortable to "relax between rides (except the tesla of course because your not burming gas and putting wear on your motor sitting still to keep warm or cool)

AAaaaaannnyyy wayyy.. I always had enough charge to do a full 10 hrs w/o trying to save power and passengers always loved the car ( better car = higher tips) many would want me to "demo" its quickness.. kinda fun!
all that was when I was LEASING a 17 Model S 90D. I was able to easily keep under my milage limit, got the EV tax credits at the time, as well as write-off the car, insurance, small supplies (gum, candy, water, car washes, tires, ect ect.)
I did this with each car I used for ride share.

As you know the no.1 cost of ride share is depreciation (if new car) and GAS!!! then oil changes ect.
My apologies I kind of went off on a tangent or two there.. I just get excited when I see other using tesla to rideshare!
there are super chargers all over around here and I have a home wall charger. never had a problem as far as charging / overuse,

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
You can't get 277 at a normal single family residence, however a 240 volt 100 amp circuit will deliver 19 to 20 kw which is nothing to sneeze at. 277 volts is one of the possible outcomes when connecting to 3 phase power.

I have twin chargers and the 100A circuit needed to utilize them. Don't need it every day, but it comes in handy! I also have installed a 100A circuit at one of my favorite destinations that is over 100 miles away from home. This allows me to do short visits there, and then return back home without a charging stop.

Very cool!
my last Tesla had the 72 higher power charger, but my current one only has the single 40. But I charge it at my self-installed HPWC ran the wires from the 200A box and everything! quite proud of my self! heh But yea I only top out at 40 where I used to get 72 i think on my last Tesla.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to upgrade to on-board charger/s 72/80 ($1300) OR if I should get the 600$ ish Chademo adapter.. and have far more places to plug should the need arise..??

Very cool!
my last Tesla had the 72 higher power charger, but my current one only has the single 40. But I charge it at my self-installed HPWC ran the wires from the 200A box and everything! quite proud of my self! heh But yea I only top out at 40 where I used to get 72 i think on my last Tesla.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to upgrade to on-board charger/s 72/80 ($1300) OR if I should get the 600$ ish Chademo adapter.. and have far more places to plug should the need arise..??
I have used the Chademo adapter once and that was to make sure it worked. I bought it because I had a trip planned where it would be convenient to use it, but I didn't go. Check out Plugshare and see if there are places you might use the Chademo. It is pretty rare to find Chademo charging that is cheaper than Supercharging but it happens sometimes. Also check Tesla destination chargers you might use on the Tesla website and see if any of those are 16 to 20 kw where you could really benefit from it.

I use the 80 amp charging on my car for when I visit places that are more than 100 miles away but I only want to be there 2 hours. Having that capability keeps me from having to stop and Supercharge on the way home. Obviously the station there has to support it, but if you are there often enough it can usually be sorted out so long as you are willing to put up some cash / hardware. My efforts to set up charging at various places has allowed to me to avoid stopping to charge many times now. Well worth it especially if you travel to and from those places on holiday weekends when SC spots are at a premium. In summary I use the 80A capability to make the car more useful for me. I also use it at home in cases where I come back from far away and need to leave again in an hour or so for a night on the town. It can charge a substantial amount of kwh in an hour, further reducing my need to rely on other charging sources that are usually more expensive.

To put this in context my car also has free unlimited supercharging. My time is worth something, and I also assume some future car won't have that. (I am not married to Tesla, my future car could be something else! but I will miss the 20kw charging)

To me 72-80A charging is far more useful than a Chademo adapter under my usage, but I have invested time and money in infrastructure to cause that to be the case, both at home and other places.