TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Older S60 to 75 (90 or 100) Battery Upgrade

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Buddyroe, Jun 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Buddyroe

Buddyroe Member

I thought I heard a while back that Elon said an upgrade would be made available to upgrade the older 60s to a 75. This is interesting to me because I have found a super good deal on a 60 - almost no miles on it, and loaded otherwise. But, in the long term, I need the extra range. Has anyone heard if this upgrade has been made available, and if so, how much?

And I wonder why, if they can upgrade it to a 75, why can't they upgrade to a 90 or 100? I guess possibly size limitations.

2. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

The 100 has significantly more cells, thus more weight. Could have an impact on suspension tuning.

3. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

That turned out to be a misstatement. Elon was referring to the software-locked 60 to 75 upgrade, and replied to the wrong context. He eventually set the record straight.

And as far as battery pack swapping, Elon did say earlier that the packs are modular, but never actually offered the option to upgrade to larger battery packs. It seems like there’s not a cost-justifiable way of doing that. Tesla’s CPO value is so strong that trading in the car is almost always a cheaper option for you than the labor and parts for such an upgrade, not to mention Tesla is making a fairly decent profit out of flipping CPO’s and could easily tune that number to work better in your favor if the market demands.

4. Hixson

Hixson Member

I believe the old 60s came with a software locked battery that was possible of unlocking to 75 if you paid tesla to do it. I think its around $2000 to do it now?

5. Qbenjamin

Qbenjamin Ballin On A Budget

Depends on how you define older..? I believe that only the 2016 S60's are able to be upgraded to the 75kw battery packs. I know for a fact that my 2014 S60 isn't upgradeable.

6. whitex

whitex Active Member

Actually, only software locked 60's which already came with the 75KWh packs are upgradable to 75. There have also been a few software locked 60's produced that came with 70KWh batteries - those are upgradable to 70. The original 60 battery is not upgradable. Any 60D's would be upgradable to 70 or 75 as the dual motor was never offered with the original 60 (ok, it was "offered" to order for a couple of weeks, but then cancelled before any were produced).