Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older seats vs Next Gen seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Either I suck at the search button or I missed the threads as I am positive you guys posted this prior.

What is your opinion on which is better and why. I do not care about folding flat in the back.

I have only driven a car with Next Gen seats

Definitely discussed in prior threads but search is hit or miss. I recall because Next Gen was fairly new when I was getting ready to order my car.

IMHO - Next Gens are far better and it's not even close. Better support, more stable driving position, and look better. The old seats were very basic.

Reactions: Indpowr
Most people seem to like the Next Gens better. Of course, what most people like doesn't matter when you are the one that's going to sit in them.

We have one car with each. I like Next Gens better for around-town driving, but prefer the old seats for long trips.

My wife hates the Next Gens.

As you might imagine, seat comfort will vary from person to person. The best thing would be to take a long trip with each type of seat, but alas, that is logistically troublesome for most.

• Informative
Keep in mind there are actually 4 versions of seats, with 2 variations for 2 versions.

Gen 1 - original seats, basic seats with little cushioning and small unsupported headrests.
Gen 1 - founders original w/ perforations.
Gen 2 - An iteration on the original seats with enhanced cushioning and bigger headrest. Same as original but better overall support than the original, but doesn't hold you on curves and not built for long distance trips.
Gen 3 - known as Next Gen Seats, new design much bigger bolsters for a sporty fit that hugs the ribs. Built for supporting you in the curves.
Gen 4 - known as Tesla seats, originally seen in the model X with perforations. Not as much of a sporty fit so doesn't hug the waste as much as next gen. Built for comfort on long drives.
Gen 4 - Tesla seats w/o perforations. Now the standard, same as original Gen 4 but no perforations for increased longevity.

With that said I like Gen 3 and 4 the most, I have next gen and my wife has tesla seats in the X I like both as a variation to the other, but hers for long drives.

Comfort is subjective, it all depends on your body type and style. My wife loves the next gen seats, I do too...if it were a sports car. They're supportive and hug really well.

We both thought the regular/older seats were a bit of a let down. They just looked cheaper and didn't swam to wear well.

The new seats (premium/premium style) are a great compromise. They look and feel great. Doesn't hug you like the next gens, but they swam more appropriate for the car. Luxury/comfort. They're also easier to get in and out of without rubbing against the side bolsters.

I prefer the Next Gen seats, on my 2016 MS--they seem to be made more tightly & more solidly; definitely more body-hugging, almost a cocooning effect for those who like that. Just did a 2,000-mile trip in 3 days over the holidays and felt quite comfortable throughout the trip.

Love the next gens. Would have them in both cars, except for the kids. The textile seats are completely indestructible and kid proof.

True. We have the textile and they show zero wear; truly amazing seat material. Also, as of a few weeks ago, the base seats appear to have switched to the Next Gen or Tesla Premium seat base as well, at least according to the pictures. Best of both worlds!

(Now if we can just get ventilation back anyone living in a hot climate would be set!)

Reactions: davidc18
Keep in mind there are actually 4 versions of seats, with 2 variations for 2 versions.

Gen 1 - original seats, basic seats with little cushioning and small unsupported headrests.
Gen 1 - founders original w/ perforations.
Gen 2 - An iteration on the original seats with enhanced cushioning and bigger headrest. Same as original but better overall support than the original, but doesn't hold you on curves and not built for long distance trips.
Gen 3 - known as Next Gen Seats, new design much bigger bolsters for a sporty fit that hugs the ribs. Built for supporting you in the curves.
Gen 4 - known as Tesla seats, originally seen in the model X with perforations. Not as much of a sporty fit so doesn't hug the waste as much as next gen. Built for comfort on long drives.
Gen 4 - Tesla seats w/o perforations. Now the standard, same as original Gen 4 but no perforations for increased longevity.

With that said I like Gen 3 and 4 the most, I have next gen and my wife has tesla seats in the X I like both as a variation to the other, but hers for long drives.

That is actually very helpful!
Can we all agree to call seats by generation number from now on?

P.S. Not to Hijack the thread, but my Model S should have Gen 4 white perforated seats. Will the back seats fold (really) flat?

Reactions: ICUDoc
That is actually very helpful!
Can we all agree to call seats by generation number from now on?

P.S. Not to Hijack the thread, but my Model S should have Gen 4 white perforated seats. Will the back seats fold (really) flat?

The back seats will fold mostly flat. There's about a 1.5" rise. It won't be comfortable if you plan on sleeping on it l unless you have some sort of foam to even it out. But it's not enough to be an issue when transporting large items such as a door or a pice of furniture.

I bought my car with the multipattern seats because I don't like leather. However, we both found them terribly uncomfortable. The headrests lean forward and it caused a lot of neck pain. From how the headrest would have hit me in an accident, I might have been badly hurt. My SO also thought they were too firm. They were a little too firm for me, but not a deal breaker. The neck pain was the problem.

I replaced them with next gen seats and we're both much more comfortable. Some people haven't had problems with the old seats, a lot depends on your build. I'm taller than my SO, but all my height is in my legs so she and I are close to the same height when sitting down.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18 and ModelX
I have a 2014 so I think they are the original seats and found way more confortable then the P85D loaner I had (think it was a 2015). The next Gen that where in the 2015 had me squeezed in the seat and we're uncomfortable and I'm not a big guy (6'2" with 160lbs). I do agree however that the original seats lack side support but they are much more confortable in my mind than the first next gen seats. Maybe we get used to the car we're driving over time...

My wife and I tried both Next Gen and textile for test rides before ordering . She hated the former so we went with textile and are happy . The bigger problem for me is lack of neck bolstering in either . I have a squishy neck pillow which works perfectly for long drives . Otherwise, the textiles are very nice and don't wear at all despite so much use, including repeatedly setting up the baby car seat (with a base fastened using LATCH though) and general use.

The back seats will fold mostly flat. There's about a 1.5" rise. It won't be comfortable if you plan on sleeping on it l unless you have some sort of foam to even it out. But it's not enough to be an issue when transporting large items such as a door or a pice of furniture.

It wouldn't let me edit my original post.
But here's a picture of the back with a 60" hallway table. I had to pull out a car seat to fold it.

You'll notice where the all weather may ends and the seat backs begin there's a lip. It's basically the same height as the mat height. There's plenty of storage in the S...I went to Costco after this too...

Attachments

• IMG_2932.JPG
    IMG_2932.JPG
    452.1 KB · Views: 180
  • Informative