Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Tesla curious

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m interested in buying an older Tesla model S, may be a 2015-17. I’m really concerned about the battery warranty. Part of me wonders if I’m worrying too much. I don’t like risk. I don’t gamble.

So why would anybody buy an older Tesla? I'm watching these vids, but I wonder how common is battery failure on older Teslas really?
You don’t hear about the ones that are great. I don’t want a 45k paperweight. I have some questions that I have not gotten a satisfactory answer.

Does failure happen more or less often than ICE engines?

Are there any telltale signs or can they fail without warning?

Can it fail regardless of how you treat it over its lifespan?

Will insurance cover the vehicle or battery cost, should the engine fail?

Is there separate insurance I can buy for the battery?

On the other hand, if the battery fails is there a strong market for parts? Can I recoup my loss?

What has your experience been with older Teslas? Are you selling before the battery warranty runs out?

Older Tesla owners does it feel like gambling to you? What calms your nerves.

Are new buyers also concerned?

I know this is a lot, but I cannot afford a new one. I want to be talked into it not out of it, so I'm looking for hope.

Be aware that the battery chemistry has changed over the years and I don't know of any timeline that Tesla has published.

That said I have a late December 2016 S75D that I have had TeslaFi log every activity since new. With 70,000 miles my total battery degradation has been 5.73% with the typical rapid degradation the first 30,000 miles, then significantly less. In fact between 35,000 and 70,000 miles my new range loss has been a paltry 3.25 miles.

Personally I don't see any reason to worry.

Upvote 0
I’m interested in buying an older Tesla model S, may be a 2015-17. I’m really concerned about the battery warranty. Part of me wonders if I’m worrying too much. I don’t like risk. I don’t gamble.

So why would anybody buy an older Tesla? I'm watching these vids, but I wonder how common is battery failure on older Teslas really?
You don’t hear about the ones that are great. I don’t want a 45k paperweight. I have some questions that I have not gotten a satisfactory answer.

Does failure happen more or less often than ICE engines?

Are there any telltale signs or can they fail without warning?

Can it fail regardless of how you treat it over its lifespan?

Will insurance cover the vehicle or battery cost, should the engine fail?

Is there separate insurance I can buy for the battery?

On the other hand, if the battery fails is there a strong market for parts? Can I recoup my loss?

What has your experience been with older Teslas? Are you selling before the battery warranty runs out?

Older Tesla owners does it feel like gambling to you? What calms your nerves.

Are new buyers also concerned?

I know this is a lot, but I cannot afford a new one. I want to be talked into it not out of it, so I'm looking for hope.
The battery probably isn’t the primary concern, as there are a couple of vendors here that do battery replacement pretty reasonably on the S. Im
Not saying cheap, but…5-7k or so, as opposed to Tesla’s 13k or so (just ballparking numbers). Considering the costs for a rebuilt ICE engine or transmission not too bad.

The two real concerns probably are final drive units on the S, and overall maintenance, tires, etc on an S. Remember it is a 100K car, and service and maintenance on anything in that range as it ages is still expensive.

All that said, they are still amazingly durable and relatively low maintenance vehicles overall.

I am sure you will get better answers from guys here, but just to start you thinking.

Reactions: goingplaid
Upvote 0
I am quite happy with my mid 2016 90D. It has over 150,000 miles. I had a 2017 100D for a short time but sold it as I wasn't as happy with it as I was with the 2016. Personal preference as I had driven the 2016 for such a long time. A comfortable old sweater. I replaced the MCU (big center screen) for about $2500 as I recall. Drive units are fine. Due to a couple cooling problems (one caused by Tesla, another after someone hit me) I think I am on the high end of battery degradation at about 8%. I don't give battery failure a second thought. Brakes are still like new and the car is quiet and comfortable.

Upvote 0
so ciaopec,can you express further why you prefer the 2016? or is it indescribable? is it unrelated to the battery/drive?
thanks for all the answers folks
Semi educated gut feel. I think they had ironed out some of the previous battery issues and they were using MobilEye for the driver assist function and AP1 worked fine for what I wanted (it was all I knew). The 2017 MS had a bit more comfortable seats (your results could vary) and had a full array of cameras around the car with some nice new features. Part of the reason we sold the 2017 was we already had a large sedan and the M3 didn't have a hatch like the S so we ordered a MY and are happy with that.

Having said all that I would focus on 2016-2019. There are probably others who would argue otherwise. JMHO

Upvote 0
I'll happily talk you into it :D

IMHO the last of the 'nosecone' cars represent fantastic value, even at today's prices. My previous S, a 2015 85D, was I suppose what one would call an 'older' Model S. It was a really really great car and very well specced - I sought out one with air suspension, sub-zero package, hifi sound etc and as a result it was a pleasure to drive. As Ciaopec points out, AP1 was and is great. And I loved the sunroof, and miss having one on my LR+. The only real downside, and the primary driver for upgrading, was the sloooow supercharging - that may or may not be important to you depending on how you plan on using the car.

With the xCare warranty, I had no concerns at all about reliability. Ultimately I chose to sell it while it still had a year of battery / drivetrain warranty, although the battery appeared in great shape; barely 1.5% degradation after 90,000 miles, and I get the sense that the later 85kWh packs are pretty robust. Had the 057tech battery warranty program existed at the time, I might have kept it.

Good luck in your search!

Upvote 0
thanks.
the 057 warranty gives me confidence. ill look for late 2016 at the earliest.
does the supercharging get any quicker in the facelift 2016s?
Mine was among the first 2016 facelifts built. Door frame says it was built in May; I took delivery in mid Jun. Supercharging speed has never been an issue for me. It was supposedly capable of 120kW but I don't think I ever saw it quite that high. It still peaks around 109kW and then steadily tapers. I think this is true of the '17-'19 models. The 2020 Raven models were the first to accept 250kW (though I think that started at 225 then 235 then 250. All new models can benefit from the 250kW chargers.

Reactions: goingplaid
Upvote 0
I'd suggest you just buy used directly off of the Tesla website. Tesla cars retain their value for a significant amount of time which is good for people buying new but if you're buying used, not so much. Plus I'd say invest 12k in fsd because it's value keeps on growing as new features roll out. When you ultimately sell your car, you can list it for a higher price. Plus some insurance will cover most- if not all of the things that you said were concerns. Also, ebay pricing is just crazy

Upvote 0
I had all the features I wanted on my 2016 which was enhanced autopilot (TACC, auto lane change, auto park, and summon). It came that way in the price. I (stupidly) purchased FSD with my 2021 MY because I use summon and I like the auto lane change. But I spent a week driving my daughter's 2021 MY without FSD and I realize my purchase was REALLY stupid; life goes on without FSD and I managed this first world problem just fine. I won't get into specific problems but sometimes it's just unusable due to phantom braking, etc. If I buy another Tesla it WILL NOT have FSD. Do some heavy research on that item. I couldn't disagree more with "its value keeps on growing..."

Upvote 0
I had all the features I wanted on my 2016 which was enhanced autopilot (TACC, auto lane change, auto park, and summon). It came that way in the price. I (stupidly) purchased FSD with my 2021 MY because I use summon and I like the auto lane change.
AP itself is nice on the highway and I believe EAP would be very nice on longer trips, with minimal traffic. However, FSD is, at this point an expensive toy, that actually appears to take more effort and concentration from the driver during this phase. Oh, I think it is neat and fun, but there is no way I could tell someone that they should pay for it with a straight face.

As far as value, I doubt the average used car buyer it is going to make much difference in what they are willing to pay, just like most other options change the value of the used car minimally after a few years. It would be interesting to see data on it. It just isn't a mature product yet. Once it is mature, the willingness to pay for it could change.

Upvote 0