Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Tesla curious

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m interested in buying an older Tesla model S, may be a 2015-17. I’m really concerned about the battery warranty. Part of me wonders if I’m worrying too much. I don’t like risk. I don’t gamble.

So why would anybody buy an older Tesla? I'm watching these vids, but I wonder how common is battery failure on older Teslas really?
You don’t hear about the ones that are great. I don’t want a 45k paperweight. I have some questions that I have not gotten a satisfactory answer.

Does failure happen more or less often than ICE engines?

Are there any telltale signs or can they fail without warning?

Can it fail regardless of how you treat it over its lifespan?

Will insurance cover the vehicle or battery cost, should the engine fail?

Is there separate insurance I can buy for the battery?

On the other hand, if the battery fails is there a strong market for parts? Can I recoup my loss?

What has your experience been with older Teslas? Are you selling before the battery warranty runs out?

Older Tesla owners does it feel like gambling to you? What calms your nerves.

Are new buyers also concerned?

I know this is a lot, but I cannot afford a new one. I want to be talked into it not out of it, so I'm looking for hope.

My old 2015 and current 2020 start in exactly the same way, either with the fob or with my phone. No difference that I can see. Also don't understand the 'MP3 player' bit but I only really use Spotify or the radio.

The addition of the second DC-DC converter midway through 2015 was a relatively significant invisible change for those who want to upgrade to MCU2. IIRC this happened around the same time they went from 3G to LTE?

Upvote 0
I agree if you want FSD (on late 2016) buy it from a third party. It will be super cheap that way. Also you get transferable free supercharging on late 2016 cars from a third party if they’ve not been back in Tesla’s possession.

If you don’t care about FSD then search inventory on https://ev-tsla.com/

@wk057 sells a battery warranty. You might want to ask if he’d sell you their monitoring device while you are doing test drives to see how the car’s you are considering battery cells balance.

If I had room for an older car, I’d definitely get a color no longer offer: bright silver or green.

How do you feel about brown? /s

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My old 2015 and current 2020 start in exactly the same way, either with the fob or with my phone. No difference that I can see. Also don't understand the 'MP3 player' bit but I only really use Spotify or the radio.

The addition of the second DC-DC converter midway through 2015 was a relatively significant invisible change for those who want to upgrade to MCU2. IIRC this happened around the same time they went from 3G to LTE?
I have a 2015 Model S and I can't use my phone as a key? When I tried that, it said no keyfob present and I had to go get my key. Am I doing something wrong? I have a later 2015 as the warranty expires Nov 2023. Curious as to why yours works but mine doesn't... I did recently get an MCU2 upgrade so maybe it will work now?

Upvote 0
I have a 2015 Model S and I can't use my phone as a key? When I tried that, it said no keyfob present and I had to go get my key. Am I doing something wrong? I have a later 2015 as the warranty expires Nov 2023. Curious as to why yours works but mine doesn't... I did recently get an MCU2 upgrade so maybe it will work now?
Hey there, I also have a 2015 MS. You can't use your phone as a Bluetooth key like the current model years, but you can use the app to unlock and lock the car and to start the car remotely. So essentially you can use the Tesla app as a remote key fob.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Upvote 0
Hey there, I also have a 2015 MS. You can't use your phone as a Bluetooth key like the current model years, but you can use the app to unlock and lock the car and to start the car remotely. So essentially you can use the Tesla app as a remote key fob.
Oh I see! Thank you! I sometimes have a problem with using the app to open my car... It says it's open on the app but then the car doesn't open and most of the time this happens at my house. Not sure if it's because I'm close to my wifi but not quite on it but I'll try to start the car from the app and hope it works! :)

Upvote 0
Oh I see! Thank you! I sometimes have a problem with using the app to open my car... It says it's open on the app but then the car doesn't open and most of the time this happens at my house. Not sure if it's because I'm close to my wifi but not quite on it but I'll try to start the car from the app and hope it works! :)
For sure! Yeah if your phone has a weak signal it may not work. Also, third party apps like Tessie are much quicker at interfacing with the car for commands usually. I wouldn't recommend making a habit of going without the key fob, but it is handy for here and there.

Upvote 0

It is critical to remember that both the car and your phone have to have cell access. If you drive to the bottom of a parking garage, you'll probably never be able to start it with the phone.

I have a December 2014 rear wheel drive 85, that has over 270,000 miles on it, original battery. I also went with wk057 tech for their extended warranty. I didn't think anything except the battery was really worth getting an extended warranty for. It hasn't cost me all that much to bring the thing into service centers for the few minor things I needed. Maybe 6 Grand total the whole time I've owned the car.

Upvote 0
It is critical to remember that both the car and your phone have to have cell access. If you drive to the bottom of a parking garage, you'll probably never be able to start it with the phone.

I have a December 2014 rear wheel drive 85, that has over 270,000 miles on it, original battery. I also went with wk057 tech for their extended warranty. I didn't think anything except the battery was really worth getting an extended warranty for. It hasn't cost me all that much to bring the thing into service centers for the few minor things I needed. Maybe 6 Grand total the whole time I've owned the car.
Wow! That makes me feel better. Mine has high miles(138k) and the drive unit was replaced in Oct 2021 with ceramic bearings (I asked Tesla service because i was worried about that and the battery. I bought direct from a private seller to get FUSC and the owner didn’t know that transferring the car to me would take away his service records). Seems like my car has the original batttery as well. I talked to 057 and can get a warranty from them and I also reached out to Recell. I like the idea of Recell cause it’s not a warranty but they said bc I have a 70, they don’t have replacement options as of now but they will in the future when more of those batteries start coming out of warranty. I asked if I could just pay extra for an 85 and it seems like their answer is no?

Upvote 0
Wow! That makes me feel better. Mine has high miles(138k) and the drive unit was replaced in Oct 2021 with ceramic bearings (I asked Tesla service because i was worried about that and the battery. I bought direct from a private seller to get FUSC and the owner didn’t know that transferring the car to me would take away his service records). Seems like my car has the original batttery as well. I talked to 057 and can get a warranty from them and I also reached out to Recell. I like the idea of Recell cause it’s not a warranty but they said bc I have a 70, they don’t have replacement options as of now but they will in the future when more of those batteries start coming out of warranty. I asked if I could just pay extra for an 85 and it seems like their answer is no?

It was pretty sure Jason Hughes offered an upgrade path from 70 to 85. You'd have to look at the 057 tech site and see if that's true. Enjoy the car!

Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0
For me personally, I think the 2015 is the best value. It has almost entirely bottomed out on depreciation, has AP1 (which is more than sufficient imo), has the sunroof option which has been discontinued, and some units have the standard air suspension (which mine did). Also they used real leather for this model year which is plush.
Really sad seeing the prices 2015/2016 MS's are currently selling for 😭

Upvote 0