Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Tesla owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still in my 60s, finally got a MYLR in December. I still enjoy driving and the Tesla is fast and fun! The one-pedal driving really improves my ability to control speed. I always drove sporty sedans but we had a Subaru Forester for a while and I realized the higher seating position would be much more comfortable, for me and my friends. I really like the display and the sound system. And all the glass - it's a great car for site seeing.

I've tried the AP and FSDb a little. I'm a retired software developer so I wanted to see how the FSD works, and improves. I'm really surprised that each Tesla acts differently. My neighbor has no problems with FSD and uses it all the time. Mine seems to do the wrong thing at the worst time. It's like teaching the grandkids to drive all over again!

As the robot-driver gets more mature, I have my fingers crossed that it will help with night driving and allow me to relax and worry less about traffic. Currently, at pre-V11, I can't relax with it: I have to keep a tight grip on the steering wheel so it doesn't veer towards other traffic.

I feel like it's an argument each time.
FSDb: I'm not happy with this lane, I want the other lane (which has a car in it.)
Me: Oh no you don't!
FSDb: I give up. I just can't work under these conditions.
Me: Well if you'd stop doing stupid things then you'd get to drive longer.

Reactions: JHCCAZ and BitJam
In my early sixties, Model Y will be my first electric. My interest in EVs other than the green factor is the idea of instant torque. But I'm really buying because the tech keeps you aware of what is happening around you. I'm not getting the enhanced AP or FSD options. I don't drive enough to justify those. I do think the tech will be important as I grow older. My dad drove into his eighties, but had a heart attack at the wheel, both my parents passed. I tend to think if they had 1 foot driving, my mom would have survived, but it's just speculation.

Reactions: Nvbob and BitJam
I'm probably a bit younger than most of you, but getting closer to a retirement age. My background is also software like most of you, and always stayed near leading edge high tech gadgets. Went through Compaq iPaqs, Apple Newtons, Win CE1.0 devices, HTC DIamond, etc.

I also knew FSD wasn't ready and was expensive, but I liked the idea that some day, FSD will be ready for older people to use and this is my chance to contribute a little towards that, both financially and effort wise by reporting issues. I will probably benefit too, eventually.

Fast forward 18 months, and we are very happy with our purchase. No cars I purchased in my life (I believe 12 of them) have given me so much freedom and enjoyments. For us, having a camp mode and ability to carry a freezer under the floor is way more important than a luxury leather interior. We can now travel 1000km per day. With our previous car - a BMW X3, driving 500km used to be torture, even with all drive assist features.

Few complaints:
- I still find suspension hard. Tried even 32 psi tire pressure, but I didn't feel enough difference to risk tire wear.
- Font size is really small. Sucks to lift my eye glasses to read what's on the screen. Or a hard squint - still not great. The next FSD version should fix this. This is my next most anticipated feature! 😅
- I miss 360 degree top view. I sorta figured out how to use the car without it but still not as good.
- Auto-wiper sucks. Auto-headlight used to suck too but that was fixed, so I'm hopeful.

I realize I don't represent everyone, but there is at least one really happy Tesla owner here. 😁

I was North of 80 when I bought my first Tesla in January, 2015 (used 2014 MS 60k). I just turned 90 and still driving my 2019 MSLR Raven.

Are there any other Tesla owners / drivers out there that are North of 80 or North of 90? If so, which model Tesla do you have?
Looking forward to FSD being perfected soon before I am no longer able to drive. Hope to still be driving 10 more years and be North of 100 someday.

Tesla Time Machine

I’m old and slow, but not my MS,
It goes from zero to 60 pretty darn fast.
The 60 for me makes THIS old man smile,
I go from 90 to 30 in less then a mile

Handlebars