TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Older Teslas limited to 90kW Supercharging

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by ckessel, Dec 5, 2013.

1. dcopperfield

dcopperfield Member

If this is true, I'm certain Tesla will replace/ fix whatever is needed. Seems silly to punish those of us early adopters with no higher- speed charging.

2. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

I'll be hitting nearly all the I5 chargers next week so I'll know what a 60kWh can do with 5.8.

3. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

Vin just above 10,000, P85+, 5.6, Newark DE, hit 112kW today. Started with ~80 rated miles.

4. wts13

wts13 Member

How do you see the kW rate? All I've seen is miles per hour.

I remember seeing in the low to mid 200's on my 60. What does that sound like?

5. pgiralt

pgiralt Supporting Member

Multiply Volts * Amps and that gives you the kW. 120kW should be in the mid 300's for mph.

6. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

You can change the settings in the car to show range vs. energy -- it's in the settings area (I forget which tab).

7. wts13

wts13 Member

Ah I see. Perhaps Tejon Ranch, Harris Ranch, and Gilroy weren't yet upgraded to 120kW when I used them in October?

Thanks, will try that next time

8. mark

mark Member

9. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

BTW, someone asked my software version (I'm the OP). I have version 5.8.

Tesla called me in response to my email to [email protected]. He said they'd looked at the logs and verified nothing was wrong with my car and that was I getting 90kwh because that's all my car's hardware supported. He spun it as "You're not losing anything, you still get the same 90kwh you got before the new superchargers came out".

At the end of the conversation, he said he was going to go talk to more sources to get info, but I think that was more to my questions about knowing which cars had new support and upgrading the support. Given I'm on the latest software, I expect it's truly a hardware limitation.

As I said, I'm VIN 2310. I know another 23XX here in Portland, OR also has capped out at 90kwh.

I'd like to know where the breakpoint was, why those before the breakpoint weren't told, if there's an upgrade, what's the cost and is it impacted by the "hardware upgrades" in the prepaid service contract. Just a bunch of questions at this point as Tesla has touted 120kwh pretty heavily and I feel a bit hosed. I hope Tesla gets back with some more info at some point.

10. walla2

walla2 Member

More Sig Tax / early adopter "benefits" I'm afraid. I love my car, I love Tesla, but don't buy a Sig.

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

If true...
    This, my friends, is a real tragedy. Talk about ruining a brand. :(

I hope someone from Tesla with the power to do something about it, is paying attention to the destruction of the Sig branding.

Based on the past though, I won't hold my breath.

12. wts13

wts13 Member

This makes me wonder which if any existing cars will be compatible with 135kw if and when it is rolled out in the US...

13. Fedderman

Fedderman Model S 85kWh (VIN 1732)

I have traveled the 101 corridor multiple times over the past few months, using the SC's in Gilroy, Atascadero, and Buellton. Even at low SOC (20-40 miles remaining) I have maxed out at just under 90 kW. Most recent trip was Thanksgiving week. I have an early VIN (1732) 85 kWh, and FW 5.8. Seems this is a hardware limit, and hoping (but not optimistic) that an upgrade will be included in my annual service this month.

14. David_Cary

David_Cary Member

While I understand sig owners complaints, upgrades happen all the time. If they made a switch in some wiring at VIN 3000, are they really supposed to tell people who are pending delivery of VIN 2999 that they made an improvement and you can forfeit your deposit and wait for 3000.

Communication as the 120KW rolled out - sure.

But complaining that they made an upgrade - that doesn't make sense.

15. Martini

Martini Member

Everyone with a low VIN was happy to buy their car before they knew supercharging even existed. Complaining about something that by any measure is a bonus to your original purchase is just odd.

16. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think that 135kw would come to the US at all. I think its a matter of the different in types of power and simple math. They have 3 phase power which added up equals 135kw, but we don't and under a similar config add it up and it reaches 120kw. I'm in my car now so can't lookup the details ATM but again I think its a difference of their 3phase vs ours... Not an expert on this though

17. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

While this doesn't impact me, does anyone know what the charge time difference would be given the power taper that takes place? For example, if it tapers to 90kW after a 30kWh charge then the differential is approx 5 minutes in charge time (depending on the taper curve--that assumes a linear decline which I'm pretty sure it's not).

Not saying it is 5 minutes, just an example.

18. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

All

FYI - Vin #3449 and I can charge at 120Kw.

Aaron

19. Chris

Chris Member

If this is all really true I think it would be a great opportunity for TM to make good on their 'hardware upgrades included' promise with paid service visits.

20. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Power folding mirrors, parking sensors, 120kw charging ... eh ... just add it to the list.