Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Teslas limited to 90kW Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going to wait to email ownership with a more detailed request/complaint for those of us with earlier VINS, but I realized most of my concerns really weren't dependent on the answers to the questions I'd asked the representative on the phone on Thursday.

The core of my concern was a lack of information about SC support when I was asked to confirm. My confirmation time was right around the end of 2012 and there was a push at that point to have people choose 2012 or 2013 since many had a preference due to when they wanted the tax write off. I didn't care from a tax perspective, so lacking any reason to defer I chose 2012. But if Tesla had given me the information on SC support, that would have impacted my decision. I didn't have the information I feel I should have had to be an informed buyer. And while changes are always ongoing, supercharging capability is a cornerstone item and I feel that should have been communicated.

I fully understand others here don't share that view and I respect that. I'll let folks know what Tesla chooses to do as it'll be of interest to many of us.

Last edited:
A similar discussion was conducted on the NW Tesla group on Facebook. I too thought the early vins were rate limited. My wife spoke to a Tualatin tech who seemed to confirm this. However, an owner with vin26xx, almost as same as me, reported charging at 116kW when starting at 75 rated miles. However, she did not provide photographic proof.

If this is all really true I think it would be a great opportunity for TM to make good on their 'hardware upgrades included' promise with paid service visits.

This. The "service plan" costs a lot and I was convinced it was worth it partly by the dangled promise of "hardware upgrades included". (In the end, what did it for me was that it was the only way to get unlimited Ranger service, but for that, boy it's pricey.)

Now, I understand that they can't afford to include *very expensive* hardware upgrades, and that anything which is actually a new *option* is going to cost extra to retrofit, but small changes which don't cost that much (like the new fog lights) really ought to be included. Odds are that enabling faster Supercharging involves the replacement of some wires or terminals or something simple. If it requires a complete inverter replacement (due to a change buried deep in the supply line and glued into the middle of the car) then I can see why they wouldn't be able to retrofit for free, but even so it should be available for a charge.

I am also thanking my lucky stars that I had the sense to not get a Signature.

Someone mentioned computers. I generally buy desktop computers, keep my computers for 10 years +, and replace components as needed to keep them up to date (new monitor, new video card, new memory, new hard drive, new audio card, etc.) Only when the motherboard & main chip becomes obsolete do I need to get a new computer. Cars are much more capital-intensive and a similar approach makes even more sense.

Anyway, Tesla has had a really bad communications program verging on the deceitful. I warned them over the phone a bit less than a year ago that they were developing a reputation as untrustworthy "car dealer" types. By which I mean, they advertise all kinds of things, try to push you to buy quickly at what turns out to be an inflated price, and then retract the advertised things in the fine print. This is a *bad reputation to get*, but they've been continuing to do stuff which creates this reputation. It's bad brand management. I don't know why it's happening. Obviously, it's no worse than any other car dealer -- which means it won't impact directly on sales in the near term -- but it isn't any better than any other car dealer either, which means that Tesla's throwing away an advantage which they could have had, and which Tesla claimed they wanted to have.

+1 dennis. It amazes me how often we have to rely on TMC to "break the news" when Tesla ought to be communciating better with its loyal customer base.

To those who don't think Sigs have a right to complain, let me just add 2 more points to this discussion.

1. A Telsa Service advisor once described to me what makes Tesla service so great. I remember exactly what he said because I thought it was so awesome:

"If we know there's a part that works better in your car, we will give it to you."

It has now been confirmed that this was an outright lie. I have the first-generation fog lights. Elon Musk claimed in public that these were unacceptable quality to him, and that the second-generation fog lights were better. I requested an upgrade from Gen1 fog lights to Gen2 fog lights and was refused.

So now you know. It's the same puffery and lies you get from *any* car dealer.

It has now been confirmed that this was an outright lie. I have the first-generation fog lights. Elon Musk claimed in public that these were unacceptable quality to him, and that the second-generation fog lights were better. I requested an upgrade from Gen1 fog lights to Gen2 fog lights and was refused.

I'm not as upset about the fog lights since I got what I paid for, but I am a bit upset about pre-paying for 4 + 4 years of Service on the promise that it was the ONLY way to get whatever hardware (and they even stated software) updates that they would make available. Oh, and at the time, it was REQUIRED to maintain your warranty. What upsets me is that I know numerous people who did not buy the Plan or pay the $600 a shot for the Service, but still get everything that I do when they take their car in for regular old warranty adjustments. Great for those people, but what am I getting for my money?

I'm not as upset about the fog lights since I got what I paid for, but I am a bit upset about pre-paying for 4 + 4 years of Service on the promise that it was the ONLY way to get whatever hardware (and they even stated software) updates that they would make available. Oh, and at the time, it was REQUIRED to maintain your warranty.
Mr. Blankenship's worst action as a Tesla employee was to make that public statement claiming that the service was required to maintain warranty. The statement was known to be false at the time, because it was *illegal* (Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act), but it certainly confused a lot of people.

They rotated my tires for free and I don't have the prepaid service plan. Wasn't in for a service visit either. I just asked them for it when they were sticking on my P85 emblem and CF spoiler and they did it for free.

They have in the past given me that offer as well. And last time I was there (Friday before Thanksgiving, to get a 10-30 Adapter for my UMC) they asked about it. And sort of offered to rotate them, before asking about if I had the service plan or not.

I think before when they weren't busy they were doing things for goodwill. But as they get busier I expect the gratis service will die off.

They rotated my tires for free and I don't have the prepaid service plan. Wasn't in for a service visit either. I just asked them for it when they were sticking on my P85 emblem and CF spoiler and they did it for free.

They weren't supposed to do it for free. I think a lot of this comes from the service centers having no idea what they are supposed to charge for and what they aren't.

Discounted service price, roughly 25% off. And free tire rotations. Free wiper blades.

I am sort of wishing I had gotten the service plan right now. I am not bringing in my car every 12k miles, but am going to do it once a year for the first 4 years.

I took mine in for "Service" and a list of warranty issues at about 13,000 miles. The only "above and beyond" I got were new batteries in my keyfobs and wiper blades. They did not rotate my tires and declined to check my alignment when I specifically asked (said car was "driving normally").

- - - Updated - - -

They rotated my tires for free and I don't have the prepaid service plan.

See what I mean?

Mr. Blankenship's worst action as a Tesla employee was to make that public statement claiming that the service was required to maintain warranty. The statement was known to be false at the time, because it was *illegal* (Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act), but it certainly confused a lot of people.

I agree. I cancelled my reservation largely because of this statement. If he has not made that statement, I would be driving a 40 kWh Model S instead of a Volt. By the time it was revealed that the service plan was not mandatory, the 40 has been discontinued, and the base price of the 60 had been raised, pushing the vehicle even further out of my reach (it was a moot point by then, however, as I was already tied into a 3 year Volt lease at that point).

Service has given me more than they needed to, but almost blown a few things off.

My real question is where was an official statement that the service prepayment plan of 1900 got you anything more than paying annually. Everything I've read and been told (and i asked and searched a bit) was there was no difference other than price. It was prepay and get a discount. Official communication is more than just "one employee told me....", because as with any size able company the bottom level employees can misinterpret and misunderstand things like this easily. And we've already seen how commonplace this is.

I took mine in for "Service" and a list of warranty issues at about 13,000 miles. The only "above and beyond" I got were new batteries in my keyfobs and wiper blades. They did not rotate my tires and declined to check my alignment when I specifically asked (said car was "driving normally")

I'm not sure what "service" is, exactly, but are people getting the annual service done without contract and without paying $600? I understand that everyone gets warranty service free of charge, but there's supposed to be some sort of recommended annual service, which is cheaper if you buy the contract.

there's a whole thread on the annual service and contracts. the real world experience is that there is almost no real work required annually, and Tesla has had a number of VERY minor hardware updates to do.. when they bring in a car for the minor hardware updates, it sure seems like the same thing as when someone with a contract calls up and brings the car in for "service" and gets the updated hardware also. As for tire rotation and alignment, my guess is that they are supposed to charge, but they also try to do everything to make the customer happy.. so it comes off as an inconsistent practice.

I'm not as upset about the fog lights since I got what I paid for, but I am a bit upset about pre-paying for 4 + 4 years of Service on the promise that it was the ONLY way to get whatever hardware (and they even stated software) updates that they would make available.

This is exactly what I was told when I was deciding which plan to purchase. I went with the 4+4 because it was described to me as the best way keep my car current and up to date.

Therefore, TM is obligated to support service plan patrons and provide a supercharging upgrade free of cost. It's really quite straightforward.

At any rate, has anyone heard back from Tesla?

This is exactly what I was told when I was deciding which plan to purchase. I went with the 4+4 because it was described to me as the best way keep my car current and up to date.

Therefore, TM is obligated to support service plan patrons and provide a supercharging upgrade free of cost. It's really quite straightforward.

At any rate, has anyone heard back from Tesla?

Not really obligated for service plan patrons. All you did was pay for a discount. Those of us who have decided to just pay the $600 at our annual service get exactly what you prepaid for. No difference except price.

I'm not sure what "service" is, exactly, but are people getting the annual service done without contract and without paying $600?

Service is essentially nothing: New wiper blades, batteries for your fob and an "inspection". Brakes if you need them. (I went 80,000 miles with my Cadillac CTS on the original brakes, and it didn't have regenerative braking). The big thing was supposedly it was the ONLY WAY to get hardware and software updates. That is why I bought it (and the warranty strong-arming). It seems people without the plan and without paying the $600/visit are getting all of the same hardware and software updates that I am.

So to bring this back on topic, yes it would be nice if Tesla actully DID offer some upgrades beyond what everyone else is getting such as a refit to the Supercharging hardware if that is what's going on here.

Tire rotations are included in the pre-paid service plan - it says so in my documents. I don't know of a document in existence describing the benefits received under the "pay at the door" $600 service, but from what people have reported, they seem equivalent to the pre-paid.

New maintenance intervals noted from the 12/6/13 revision of the owner's manual:
  • Tire rotations every 5,000 miles
  • Brake fluid change every 24,000 miles
  • Air filter every 24,000 miles
  • Battery coolant change every 48,000 miles
Any damage caused to vehicle by non-Tesla service is not covered under the warranty.

This is where Tesla can't win. They IMPROVE the product, and then people complain that they can't access the new and improved product. It's insanity,

I think some of us are getting spoiled. Everyone has "I want that" syndrome. GUARANTEED people will be asking for AWD retrofits in a few months. Newsflash, the newer cars cost more, and they get more... that's just the way it works guys.