Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Teslas limited to 90kW Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leaving A pack owners the only ones who can consistently charge at 90kW peak? And then all those thousands of B+ pack owners who thought the 90kW limit no big deal were suddenly stewing about the injustice of an occasional 30kW charge deficiency? Of course, I would not wish this on anyone... but it's interesting to see how others react to charge limitations when they are among the affected!!!! Many of the same who said we were over-reacting.

I don't see how not getting the advertised charge rate when the car was purchased is in anyway the same as not getting a higher charge rate introduced after the car was purchased.

I don't see how not getting the advertised charge rate when the car was purchased is in anyway the same as not getting a higher charge rate introduced after the car was purchased.
You edited out my word FANTASY. Twice. So you quoted me out of context. In my fantasy, I can feel however I want, and I feel it is analagous and unveils hypocracy. In real life, of course 60kW limit would be much more grievous. No proof yet that it exists, though. Random reports with many counter reports.

Problem is, for some (like me) there is an inconsistency. My March 2013 car came with an A-pack after quite a few people I know got cars as early as late December 2012 with B-packs.

Understood, and I'm not suggesting that you don't have a valid complaint, just that it's not equivalent to cutting the advertized charge rate in half, a charge rate that had already been available in the vehicle. Your situation seems more similar to some cars coming with autopilot features while others did not during the transition phase. Part of the downside of being an early adopter in a tech startup company IMO.

Your situation seems more similar to some cars coming with autopilot features while others did not during the transition phase. Part of the downside of being an early adopter in a tech startup company IMO.

Once again, I have to chime in to debunk this because this doesn't apply to every A battery car. Many of us have cars that were built in April/May of 2013 that had A batteries, and the B batteries were already in cars in Late December 2012 and in every car from there on out except for a batch of cars in the April/May time-frame.

I bought an early car, I got an A battery, no big deal. They said 90kW charging before I bought the car, and that's what I got, so I have no complaints. They increased the charging rate for new customers, that was a good thing. (Of course Elon's quotes on the topic - while understandable in hindsight - were not clear and had EVERYBODY thinking that EVERYBODY would get 120kW charging, even those of us looking for a catch for pre-existing cars. Funny seeing current threads where people are carefully dissecting his words to figure out exactly what he's promising next. Elon is not good at promising exactly what he will deliver).

The really funny thing, though, is that my battery was replaced a couple of months ago. While they were examining it to see if it had the contactor issue...well, I don't know what happened, but they ended up giving me a brand new - well, at least an unused - battery. But guess what? It was still an A battery! They apparently still have some sitting around, and if you got one originally, they want you to stick with it. (I'm not complaining - I got a new battery after more than 40k miles; again, that's a good thing, and I still have everything I expected when I bought the car. I just think it's funny that they still have new A packs sitting around).

Your situation seems more similar to some cars coming with autopilot features while others did not during the transition phase.

First off, I'll just say that I'm not that worried about it, but it certainly does seem like a much longer "transition period" than with autopilot. I don't think I've heard of someone getting a car 3 or 4 months past autopilot general availability and not having the hardware on their car.

Last edited:
ChadS said:
The really funny thing, though, is that my battery was replaced a couple of months ago. While they were examining it to see if it had the contactor issue...well, I don't know what happened, but they ended up giving me a brand new - well, at least an unused - battery. But guess what? It was still an A battery! They apparently still have some sitting around, and if you got one originally, they want you to stick with it. (I'm not complaining - I got a new battery after more than 40k miles; again, that's a good thing, and I still have everything I expected when I bought the car. I just think it's funny that they still have new A packs sitting around).

Before many of the service centers knew the difference between A packs and their successors and any policies were in place, many service centers had a combination of new batteries and refurbished batteries. When my contactors failed, my local service center techs didn't know of the difference between battery packs and what an A pack meant vs. a B/D. They had 2 packs on hand - a brand new D pack and a refurb D pack; the refurb D went into my car to put me back on the road. I'm guessing there had to be an occasional - rare, perhaps - case where a B pack was replaced with an A pack that was in a service center and the owner didn't know to be concerned about the difference.

Shortly after this thread exploded and everyone and his grandmother e-mailed Jerome and Elon, reports here in this thread indicated that policies were put in place and Tesla became more structured about handling battery pack changes. This would mean that rev A battery stock was now limited to replacements for cars that had rev A packs, or perhaps as "loaner packs" while theirs was being worked on or a later rev was being shipped. A few months ago, as service centers gained the ability to change contactors, the policy adoption of "your pack is your pack" came about, where the service centers will install a loaner pack while existing packs that can't be field-repaired are shipped to Fremont to be repaired, returned, and reinstalled. I speculate it also helps with managing the growing refurb stock of batteries, which can't be installed in new cars. This means that existing stock in service centers is pretty much left only for loaners and cars that originally had "A" packs and will only be used up slowly. It's probably based upon whether your particular service center had an A pack in its spare stocks - I got lucky in the my service center had only D's at the time when mine needed replacement and couldn't be repaired.

In other news - tangentially related, just this week I have been bitten by the "old car features" problem. I'm pretty partial to my first-generation door handles (I think the old handle behavior is more elegant and I don't like the small amount of travel the new handles have). However, my front passenger handle has failed (it extends but no LED and no door release when pulled). My service center called a handful of other centers as well as the parts depot, and cannot find one. As a result, all four handles must be replaced with the newer style. It was fun while it lasted. :)

A few months ago, as service centers gained the ability to change contactors, the policy adoption of "your pack is your pack" came about, where the service centers will install a loaner pack while existing packs that can't be field-repaired are shipped to Fremont to be repaired, returned, and reinstalled.

And in my case, my car's battery was removed, repaired and replaced on-site at the Service Center while I drove a loaner P85. (My new contactors have a noticeably "softer" sound when they operate... not the harsh "click" of the old ones).

First off, I'll just say that I'm not that worried about it, but it certainly does seem like a much longer "transition period" than with autopilot. I don't think I've heard of someone getting a car 3 or 4 months past autopilot general availability and not having the hardware on their car.

Sure, I'm not saying they are exactly equivalent, and the long "transition" was unfortunate, to say the least.

Sure, I'm not saying they are exactly equivalent, and the long "transition" was unfortunate, to say the least.

It wasn't a long transition because between early January to early April, there were only B-battery cars, so the transition was all done in a couple of weeks in December. And then in April/May, there was a batch of cars with A-batteries, and that was it. This one batch of cars is the one that got "screwed".

It wasn't a long transition because between early January to early April, there were only B-battery cars, so the transition was all done in a couple of weeks in December. And then in April/May, there was a batch of cars with A-batteries, and that was it. This one batch of cars is the one that got "screwed".

Well, hopefully there won't be a batch of cars in the next couple of months that come out with no Autopilot hardware... :wink:

Interesting to ponder how the upcoming v6.2 firmware knows which battery you have. If the "older" batteries are not factored into the calculations then the results (e.g. you need to charge for xx minutes) will be wrong, not by much but still wrong.
And if it is factored in, it will be interesting to see if the difference synchs with the diminutive amount Jerome stated when tesla was trying to reassure us.

That is not correct. I have a March 2013 P85 and an A battery. I also know of many others between Dec and April 2013 who also got an A battery.