Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oldest electric car?

Gynob001

Closed
Aug 1, 2013
Orlando
When I was Omaha, Nebraska last week, I came across a 1920 Rauh & Lang Electric car. On a single charge, it gave about 70 miles! Apparently the owner paid $4000 at that time and drove 1906 miles!

mrjedistud

Aug 3, 2015
New York
My understanding is that there was a car called the baker from 1909 that was an electric. Jay Leno has one and was talking about it on a Tesla review. You can see the video on youtube, look for jays garage or something like that.

HankLloydRight

No Roads
Jan 18, 2014
Connecticut
What's ironic is that you can tour Thomas Edison's house in New Jersey, including his garage where there are 3 or 4 electric cars AND CHARGING stations. I took a bunch of pics of the cars and storyboards -- I'll try to dig them up and post them later today.

Considering the Current Wars with Nikola Tesla and the advent of the Tesla EVs, it's all very surreal to think Edison had several EVs.

donv

Jul 15, 2013
Lake Jeanclia, OR
Henry Ford's wife had an EV! She preferred it for in-town driving because it was quiet, easy to operate, and didn't have smelly exhaust.

There is an episode of Chasing Classic Cars where they take one of those early EVs out for a drive.

CatB

Mar 2, 2013
Alexandria, VA
At the Kennett Square event this past weekend, the MDVolt group ended up with a few of our cars next to a 1916 EV. I got to sit in it as the docent showed me brake, throttle, ignition and ... Tiller :)

NigelM

Recovering Member
Apr 3, 2011
Northern Virginia
In June I snapped this pic at the Science Museum in London of an 1897 Bersey Taxi owned back then by the London Electrical Cab Company. At their peak there was a fleet of 75 of these driving around London.

11248959_887294084661778_5014208977961096494_n.jpg

Also found this video about it:

BTW, if you're ever in London almost all of the museums and art galleries are free of charge to enter; just leave a voluntary donation if you enjoy your visit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Larry Chanin

President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts
Aug 22, 2011
Sarasota, Florida

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC