Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Omaha Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for responding, and all of the thoughts you put into this.
I think I have given up.
I'm more inclined to believe it will be in Council Bluffs because of renewable energy sources.
But, with FaceBook going down south of Omaha and demanding 100% renewable energy, that wild thought of mine may not hold any water at all (if it ever did).
At least there is now a Ranger in Omaha. When I purchased my car four years ago, there wasn't even that.

Reactions: wcfinvader
At least there is now a Ranger in Omaha. When I purchased my car four years ago, there wasn't even that.

To no fault of his own there is a lot that he cannot do. More often than not our car has to go to Kansas City for repairs. Windshield replacement, Drive Unit, Battery, and Annual all had to be done in Kansas City. The only thing he's been able to do for us is the door handles.

A sevice center is greatly needed. I think we have waited long enough for one

There is more than one ranger in Omaha and I think it is actually three.
They can do the one and three year service here I believe; second and fourth year are flatbedded to KC.
I have been pleased with the service, though not perfect, things have gone well for me with the little the MS has needed.
I believe we will continue to see stretching of Tesla--I hope we see Model 3s by the end of the year in Omaha, Tesla Semis here before then, and pickup trucks within two years. What happens when there are ETs? (electric trucks)??? in the Midwest???

There is more than one ranger in Omaha and I think it is actually three.
They can do the one and three year service here I believe; second and fourth year are flatbedded to KC.
I have been pleased with the service, though not perfect, things have gone well for me with the little the MS has needed.
I believe we will continue to see stretching of Tesla--I hope we see Model 3s by the end of the year in Omaha, Tesla Semis here before then, and pickup trucks within two years. What happens when there are ETs? (electric trucks)??? in the Midwest???

They told us they'd gladly flatbed ours down to Kansas City at a cost to us. We have to have a 4 year annual every year due to our high yearly mileage. They do need to put a Service Center in soon. It's rather dumb that they've had it listed as coming soon for soo long.

As an experiment, I tried mapping a route in Google Maps to just "Omaha, NE" with no other information, and the destination push pin was put at, you guessed it, 55th and Leavenworth. So this must just be Google Map's idea of where the center of Omaha is.
@tmueller64 - It seems your critical thinking has trumped my giddy, impromptu field visit. Kudos to logic! What's the old saying..."work smarter, not harder"? :)

You guys got my hopes up. I check the building permits every couple days and there has been nothing except for Tesla Systems, an electrical company.

I would think Aksarben Village would be the top choice because of Dodge, 72nd and I-80. After that I would say Westroads next to Top Golf.

It's Coming soon.....how soon? Only Elon knows. It's been coming soon for a very long time. Since before 2014. They have rangers but they are pretty useless in my opinion (unless you live in Omaha). It's not the ranger´s fault but we've taken our car there a fair number of times just to be told we needed to take it to a service center. I've lost hope in the reality of a service center truly coming soon.

This will be in the Transportation and Telecommunications Committee tomorrow at 1:30. Tesla is represented by a lobbyist named Nebraska Strategies. They also represent Facebook but I'm not sure what that for. Here is how the whole process will go.

Committee – Committee will vote if they want to send to General File
General File – Full Legislature vote needs 25 votes to go to Enrollment & Review/Select File
Select File – Full Legislature has a chance to indefinitely postpone or advance to Final Reading
Final Reading – Option to send it back to Select File. Needs 25 votes to go to Governor
Governor – Option to sign into law or veto the bill. Legislature can override a veto with 30 votes.
Law – Most billed passed become law three calendar months after the legislature adjourns.

Transportation and Telecommunication Committee
Sen. Curt Friesen, Chairperson Republican Henderson 2015

Sen. Bruce Bostelman Republican Wahoo 2017

Sen. Tom Briese Republican Cedar Rapids 2017

Sen. Suzanne Geist Republican Lincoln 2017

Sen. Mike Hilgers Republican Malcolm 2017

Sen. Dan Hughes Republican Venango 2015

Sen. John Murante Republican Gretna 2013

Sen. Jim Smith Republican Papillion 2011

I listened to the hearing on LB 830 and it sounds like Tesla might be in for a legal fight. Here are some of the very general notes that I took to the best of my ability. I did miss the first part of it and am not close on the spelling of some names.

Senator Vargas
1. Missed all of his speech, he is the one that introduced the bill.

Missed this part.

Tesla Rep:
1. They see 2 to 5 locations in Nebraska starting with a service center in Omaha.
2. They will go to Council Bluffs if not approved.
3. Currently 170 current owners in Nebraska
4. See 4 to 5x growth in the next few years
5. Talked about wait list of two years for Model 3

Board Member: Statement “So we are not inhabiting your growth at this point in time”

Owner of Five Nines Technology Group in Lincoln & Omaha
1. Told the story about how he bought 2 Tesla’s in California and did not pay Nebraska taxes
2. Told how he could not lease a Tesla in Nebraska

Elton Olson(sp)
1. Support for Tesla

Matt Wegener, founder of Turbine Flats in Lincoln
1. Said something about his or someone’s son from Kearney being the head of Tesla Global Sales so Tesla is local. (I could not hear it all)
2. Gave a long speech with general support

??? Coffisner (sp) from Central City
1. Talked about EV options locally and why he had to purchase his Tesla in Colorado.
2. Wife said why do they only have 1 EV and so they got another.
3. Talked about public power incentives for light bulbs, energy star appliances and how public power is supportive of EV’s as that will be part of their business.
4. His business will be installing Public Tesla chargers at their location. He did not say what type of charger.

Opposition

Loyd Cogg (sp) Nebraska Auto Dealers Association
1. Franchise System, 170 dealers and 8,000 employees
2. Competition reduces vehicle costs $500
3. Story about Ford selling direct and that scared local dealer and that is why the franchise system is in place.
4. Warranty work is a profit center for dealerships and they want to keep that.
5. Vehicles bought outside of the state should still pay state sales tax.
6. Tesla says they will deliver your car if over 160 miles so let them do that. We don’t want to lose 8,000 jobs.

Board Member: Asked historically why there are franchise locations
a. At the time no automaker had enough money to set up dealerships around the country

I missed a couple of questions (Damn job)

Board Member: Asked about warranty work
a. All manufactures will want to sell direct

John Lindsay – Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers (This is the group that include BMW, Fiat, and about 12 others)
1. In opposition, the bill is much larger than just Tesla. It would limit existing dealers but open doors to tech companies and overseas companies that do not currently sell here.
2. There are 70+ EV’s coming so why have separate rules, Tesla could follow the existing rules if they wanted.

Board Member: Asked if motorcycle and trailers were included in this.
a. He only represents Auto Dealers

Mickey Anderson – Owner of Baxter Auto Group
1. 1,500 employees for 10 different manufacturers.
2. Franchises help manufactures reinvest in the local communities.
3. It’s not about sales as Baxter sells as much as Tesla.
4. Tesla is not the tech leader as other manufactures spend a lot more on tech than they do.
5. It’s about service as that is where the expenses are. They are training young people to be able to repair and service ICE vehicles for a long to come.

Board Member: Speak about how these rules affect your decision to invest?
a. We are investing for the future, when the auto dealers went bankrupt they cut small down franchises.

Thomas McCaslin – Broken Bow
1. When GM when bankrupt they cut their dealer agreement.

John Dunst – Columbus NE, Ernst Auto
1. When GM when bankrupt they cut their Cadillac dealer agreement.
2. Franchise Laws protect them

Ron Sedlochek (sp)– NE Chamber of Commerce
1. Dealers provide trust and competition in car buying.
2. Dealers support local communities where out of state companies (Tesla) may not.
3. Dealers provide support that out of state companies can’t. They can provide warranty and recall fixes where (Tesla) can’t.

Senator Vargas
1. This is not to change the existing rules. It will just allow for Tesla’s new business model.
2. If ICE manufacturers wanted to sell direct, why are they not here?
3. Tesla has the highest rated recall service and they want to fix these recalls.
4. Tesla's model is the best for price, service and knowledge
5. Tesla is going out of its way to service vehicles

Board Question: Why has Ford not asked to sell direct?
a1. They have not asked and we have not seen this in other states.
a2. There has been no evidence in areas that Tesla operates of changes to how auto manufacturers are doing business.

Thanks @Trips for sharing your notes from the meeting! I'm curious, did the vote already happen? When we'll we get to hear if this goes through?

I was fortunate enough to do a test drive with Tesla last week and they mentioned that McNeil was going to be there to try to help push the support for it.

Seth Meranda @smeranda
A few years ago the Tesla map showed Omaha, Neb. as a future service center location. Is that still an [sic] in the works?

Elon Musk @elonmusk
Yes, aiming for next few months

- Twitter - Wednesday October 17th, 2018 1:52pm

Reactions: crmatson
Whoever this @smeranda guy is, I want to shake his hand. Excited that it will hopefully be happening. Also, curious how Dingman's feels about this?

Now, the question is what element of "Elon Time" are we dealing with here? (e.g. "next few months" = Late 2019?)

Reactions: Omaha
Whoever this @smeranda guy is, I want to shake his hand. Excited that it will hopefully be happening. Also, curious how Dingman's feels about this?

Now, the question is what element of "Elon Time" are we dealing with here? (e.g. "next few months" = Late 2019?)

Hopefully this is one of the new service/body shops that they have. My car goes into Dingman's Monday after a three week wait for a five day paint job on two small parts.