TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

OMG! Can’t belive what just happened

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Ali’sMax, Jul 20, 2018.

?

How many Tesla owners use auto park function when charging at supercharging stations

1. Yes auto park

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. No auto park

66 vote(s)
    97.1%
  1. Ali’sMax

Ali’sMax Member

I’m waiting in line behind a S for supercharging at a 80% empty station.
    The S basically backed up on the curb by a light post and scratched up his car along with a bad dent
    I honked my horn when he hit the curb but I just couldn’t believe it when he literally keep going and messed up his car.
    How can this possibly happen when you have a iPad size monitor with great camera plus parking guide?
    It hurts me to watch him but made me think could he possibly be using auto park?
    So just a random question, how many Tesla owners use auto park when trying to charge at supercharging stations?

• Funny x 1
  2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

That’s not auto park ...lol that sounds like bad driving ...I did use auto park once at supercharger but more as a novelty ...it’s takes too long and I wouldn’t want to hold anyone up :eek:

• Like x 1
  3. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

I’ve got auto park on my Nissan actually very good and 360cameras but essentially I could have parked myself twice in the time it takes so never use t and doubt I’ll use it on my Tesla more than once to see what it’s like. Lol

Some people “I guess” just cannot park!

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  4. Ali’sMax

Ali’sMax Member

I have another question if you don’t mind entertaining me, all the time when I’m waiting at a light and I see the P icon. Is the car trying to tell me that it can park between cars in lane next to me?
    I wouldn’t want to try it but most of the time the space is too small to fit my X

• Funny x 1
  5. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Yes that P icon when it shows up and u put in reverse ...the center screen will have a button to start auto park ..it’s just the sensors thinking it can park ...I never tried myself in traffic though :oops:....auto park does come in handy in parallel parking I have used more in that scenario over backing straight in

6. outie

outie Active Member

Probably distracted by a phone call. Just like my MIL who backed out our other car into our mailbox with my kids inside. There’s no way she could’ve done that under normal circumstances because the parking sensor would be beeping like crazy. When I asked my kid she said grandma was answering her phone.

• Funny x 2
  7. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.42.2

We could never use auto park because most of the times we supercharge there's only 0 to 2 other Teslas there.

Funny though, I saw someone use autopark at a Supercharger the other day which filled up after we got there...but she autoparked into the pull-in slot. Oops! :)

• Funny x 4
  8. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Yes, it *thinks* it can park. Either a parallel spot or a perpendicular spot. You can put it in reverse and get an idea what it is trying to do.

The reason it does this is the ultrasonic sensors get confused with the cars moving next to it. For example, if you have a car immediately next to you and one 6 ft behind it. All of you are traveling at the same speed. The sensors are simply going to see a gap next to you all the time... so it will think there is nothing next to you.

• Like x 1
  9. Sonic_78

Sonic_78 Member

That's funny because I can hardly get Auto Park to work when I need it in a busy lot. But driving home or to work it seem to pop up at most stop lights o_O

• Funny x 2
  10. kev1n

kev1n Member

you'd be surprised

11. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

Not me. I never ever use autopark in any of my cars, Telsa or not. I am so old that they spend days in driver ed teaching use to parallel park with a foot on each of the car. I actually learned enjoy the challenge and remember getting complements on it during my driver's licence test.

• Love x 1
  12. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

That's not the place to do it, and it is not ever offered I think. Too large a gap between cars maybe, and also it needs two cars to map the move.

13. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Probably the most surprising thing of my entire Tesla ownership is how bad Tesla drivers are at parking.

Now admittedly at first I struggled a bit, and I was a little embarrassed by it. I mean come on it has a backup camera, and even lowers the rear view mirrors so how hard could it be? But, it was funny how many times I wasn't where I thought I'd be.

Eventually I got used to it. It's like driving a flat pancake.

The only thing that annoys me now is how much beeping is going on when I'm trying to park in a tight space. Where I'm like "I know, I know, I know..."

One of these days I'll probably hit something because I'll be ignoring the beeps.

14. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

I don't think so, we who know our cars and equipment are kings of parking.

• Funny x 1
  15. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

people are idiots.

even the incessant beeping he still keeps going...

• Funny x 4
  16. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Who says "Oh, shoot"?

• Funny x 1
  17. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

That was clearly intentional.

18. Corsair

Corsair Member

An idiot who firstly whipped out his phone to capture the result of his incompetence and secondly actually posting it on YouTube :facepalm:

19. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Member

There's a post on this idiot with the white X. Seems fake to me. Like he did it on purpose.

20. NovaWood

NovaWood Member

Re auto park: I use it at superchargers and regular parking lots. It’s been good when I use it. I read through the forums before using it the first time to get an understanding of what not to do. For example, a few people wrote here that it failed when the empty space has a column on one side instead of another car. It’s great for me at the SCs, like the OP, I often see people not using it and getting cozy with the adjacent Tesla.

The only times I’ve taken over are when another car can’t wait and drives past me while auto park is working (90° backed in). I probably don’t need to, but I’m worried that since that other car wasn’t there a moment ago, maybe my car would move forward and impact it.

On occasion it’s very slow, creeping its way centimeter by centimeter. That could be a takeover too, if another car is waiting. Sometimes just “one more sec, please” out the window is enough for the other car to wave back while the auto park finishes.

I like the auto park feature a lot. :)