TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

OMG I love it

Discussion in 'Australia' started by EcoCloudIT, Dec 12, 2015.

1. WhiteStar

WhiteStar Member

361 km typical at 90% on a P85D with 1700 km on the ODO.

349 km doesn't sound unreasonable on a ~1 year old S85...depending on how many total Supercharges & Range charges.

2. TesAus

TesAus Member

I also get 349km typical range at 90% charge at a little over 20,000kms.

3. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Active Member

At 2,500 km on my P85D, my 90% ("Typical" rather than ideal) is 364 km.
    Was 365 at first, now 364. On Tuesday, it said 363, but seems to have recovered:)

4. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

My 85 at 20,000 was 360 new - now 357+-1.

5. mhh

mhh Member

Dborn, I've lost count of posts where you have said you are glad you don't have a P85D and are totally satisfied with your current car. Methinks you doth protest too much. I think you are a closet D lover. I predict that you'll upgrade to the fastest Model S going when you next change cars. :p

6. cdfleischmann

cdfleischmann Member

What do peoplpe actually think about range charging and/or typical charges? I have my P85D car set at 80% for my charging, and in the 7+ weeks only done one range charge thus far.

I also typically charge up to 80% and don't typically disconnect the car until it sys "charging complete"...

What are peoples thoughts on;

1. Range Charging, how often is ok, how often is bad? I plan to keep the car for 3 years, but trade in at 37 months.
    2. Disrupting over night charging from the home wall-mount.
    3. Disconnecting from the Superchargers before charging is completed.

Any thoughts of wisdom greatly appreciated.

Chris

7. paulp

paulp Active Member

I'm with you on all that, and the great part is that aston's head designer now works for tesla, hopefully designing a 2 door.

- - - Updated - - -

I have an 85 and an 85D. Both near identical other than the D. I drive them both almost equally.
    The D is noticably better handling, even in the city. Indeed it makes it feel like a smaller sportier car. There is an additional motor note up front, which I like. Havnt used the frunk in either yet. Having said that, the non D is also manificent and you couldn't be disappointed, its just that the D is magnificent plus a bit more. Around the city, the 70 is ample range. Never use the range of the 85's. Never use the full acceleration of either....so for me the P would be a waste.
    With a choice of keys on the hanger, I always go with the D.

8. WhiteStar

WhiteStar Member

I think you’re absolutely right to limit range charges to only when necessary and also to charge to 80% as standard. Cells generally operate best for long term durability between 80% & 20% SOC. Operating in that band will maximise typical range during the lifetime of the pack.

The other consideration when proactively attempting to maintain typical range over the long term is to charge using the lowest current that is convenient i.e. limit current if a fast charge time is not a priority and limit Supercharger use as much as is conveniently possible.

As far as I can tell, there are no negative consequences to disconnecting either Supercharger or HPWC prior to completing a planned maximum charge level.

9. Daemon

Daemon Member

I leave my car at 70% for daily use, but my theory on worrying about high or low charge states is that if it's costing you time to charge more often now instead of a potential need to do the same thing in 5 years or so then you might as well make use of the range you have now. For example I just drove from Sydney to Canberra starting on about 93% and finished on 8%. I could have charged to 80% and supercharged in Goulburn but that would add 20-30 minutes to the journey.

10. alpal

alpal Member

The Tesla grin - yes. Hard to describe but well done ECIT. Congrats!

Here is mine at our annual street Xmas get together. Star attraction. I'm out of sight but wearing my grin.

Enjoy. image.jpeg

11. oystero

oystero Member

You are not alone :)

12. cdfleischmann

cdfleischmann Member

Thanks WhiteStar... good to gather other peoples thoughts. Cheers!

13. paulp

paulp Active Member

I work to tesla's recommendation, that is I charge between 50 and 90%, and plug it in every night. I only range charge to 100% when needed, which seems to be never.
    Essentially I'm relying on the people at tesla knowing whats best for my battery rather than anyone else.
    your comment about stopping a charge before complete, its no issue. Think about it a different way. If you reduce the charge setting before you unplug, it will say 'charge complete' and you will happily unplug.

14. Nickdp

Nickdp Member

not wishing to hijack this thread I have started new thread here

15. One Gear

One Gear Member

The typical range in my S85 at 90% has been steady on 354km for a few weeks now (442/443km rated). But that is with range mode 'on'. When specifying your range, you need to know whether range mode is on or off. Displayed range is higher (by a few kms) with range mode on. My car is at about 23,000kms and probably about three quarters of that is road trips. I usually have the car charged to 60% to 70% while at home.

Maybe there should be a separate thread on battery health in Australian conditions?

16. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Hmmm. I need to turn range mode on and see what I get, then. Turned it off a while back because my significant other needs it freezing in there instantly!

17. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

Since 7.0 even with range mode the freezing is pretty instant.