Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG I love it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have to say, since ver 7 my consumption seems to have gone up a by a bit rather than down, if torque sleep is having an effect. I do drive mostly for range rather than performance, so I find that fact a bit frustrating.
Also, what are people getting typical range when charging to 90%? My figure is 349 km which, judging from the US web site seems low.

I also get 349km typical range at 90% charge at a little over 20,000kms.

Dborn, I've lost count of posts where you have said you are glad you don't have a P85D and are totally satisfied with your current car. Methinks you doth protest too much. I think you are a closet D lover. I predict that you'll upgrade to the fastest Model S going when you next change cars. :p

What do peoplpe actually think about range charging and/or typical charges? I have my P85D car set at 80% for my charging, and in the 7+ weeks only done one range charge thus far.

I also typically charge up to 80% and don't typically disconnect the car until it sys "charging complete"...

What are peoples thoughts on;

1. Range Charging, how often is ok, how often is bad? I plan to keep the car for 3 years, but trade in at 37 months.
2. Disrupting over night charging from the home wall-mount.
3. Disconnecting from the Superchargers before charging is completed.

Any thoughts of wisdom greatly appreciated.

Chris

My dream car was always an Aston. These days, when I see one, I still love the style and design, BUT it runs on petrol!! A bit like a really pretty girl, who then goes and ruins it by pulling out a cigarette!! Or showing her tatts.
So, no real interest anymore. Love the sheer smoothness and barely contained power in my car. Absolutely no desire for dual motor and probably would not specify it if ordering again now!
I'm with you on all that, and the great part is that aston's head designer now works for tesla, hopefully designing a 2 door.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks Dborn, an interesting comment... If you would like to share, what would be your reason(s) for not wanting dual motors?
interested in your thoughts (I have ordered a 70 but I still have time before it goes into production to add dual).
I have an 85 and an 85D. Both near identical other than the D. I drive them both almost equally.
The D is noticably better handling, even in the city. Indeed it makes it feel like a smaller sportier car. There is an additional motor note up front, which I like. Havnt used the frunk in either yet. Having said that, the non D is also manificent and you couldn't be disappointed, its just that the D is magnificent plus a bit more. Around the city, the 70 is ample range. Never use the range of the 85's. Never use the full acceleration of either....so for me the P would be a waste.
With a choice of keys on the hanger, I always go with the D.

What do peoplpe actually think about range charging and/or typical charges? I have my P85D car set at 80% for my charging, and in the 7+ weeks only done one range charge thus far.

I also typically charge up to 80% and don't typically disconnect the car until it sys "charging complete"...

What are peoples thoughts on;

1. Range Charging, how often is ok, how often is bad? I plan to keep the car for 3 years, but trade in at 37 months.
2. Disrupting over night charging from the home wall-mount.
3. Disconnecting from the Superchargers before charging is completed.

Any thoughts of wisdom greatly appreciated.

Chris

I think you’re absolutely right to limit range charges to only when necessary and also to charge to 80% as standard. Cells generally operate best for long term durability between 80% & 20% SOC. Operating in that band will maximise typical range during the lifetime of the pack.

The other consideration when proactively attempting to maintain typical range over the long term is to charge using the lowest current that is convenient i.e. limit current if a fast charge time is not a priority and limit Supercharger use as much as is conveniently possible.

As far as I can tell, there are no negative consequences to disconnecting either Supercharger or HPWC prior to completing a planned maximum charge level.

I leave my car at 70% for daily use, but my theory on worrying about high or low charge states is that if it's costing you time to charge more often now instead of a potential need to do the same thing in 5 years or so then you might as well make use of the range you have now. For example I just drove from Sydney to Canberra starting on about 93% and finished on 8%. I could have charged to 80% and supercharged in Goulburn but that would add 20-30 minutes to the journey.

I've owned Porsches, plenty of BMWs and my new Tesla replaced my Merc SLK....I cannot get rid of the Tesla grin...I am incapable of putting words to describe my feeling, just incredible.

-ECIT

The Tesla grin - yes. Hard to describe but well done ECIT. Congrats!

Here is mine at our annual street Xmas get together. Star attraction. I'm out of sight but wearing my grin.

Enjoy.
image.jpeg

I think you’re absolutely right to limit range charges to only when necessary and also to charge to 80% as standard. Cells generally operate best for long term durability between 80% & 20% SOC. Operating in that band will maximise typical range during the lifetime of the pack.

The other consideration when proactively attempting to maintain typical range over the long term is to charge using the lowest current that is convenient i.e. limit current if a fast charge time is not a priority and limit Supercharger use as much as is conveniently possible.

As far as I can tell, there are no negative consequences to disconnecting either Supercharger or HPWC prior to completing a planned maximum charge level.

Thanks WhiteStar... good to gather other peoples thoughts. Cheers!

Thanks WhiteStar... good to gather other peoples thoughts. Cheers!
I work to tesla's recommendation, that is I charge between 50 and 90%, and plug it in every night. I only range charge to 100% when needed, which seems to be never.
Essentially I'm relying on the people at tesla knowing whats best for my battery rather than anyone else.
your comment about stopping a charge before complete, its no issue. Think about it a different way. If you reduce the charge setting before you unplug, it will say 'charge complete' and you will happily unplug.

The typical range in my S85 at 90% has been steady on 354km for a few weeks now (442/443km rated). But that is with range mode 'on'. When specifying your range, you need to know whether range mode is on or off. Displayed range is higher (by a few kms) with range mode on. My car is at about 23,000kms and probably about three quarters of that is road trips. I usually have the car charged to 60% to 70% while at home.

Maybe there should be a separate thread on battery health in Australian conditions?