TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

OMG! My roof window has a crack!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by xpitxbullx, Jun 28, 2018.

1. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

2FED03C1-6A3A-4ADE-90E7-59B000FADA1A.jpeg I heard something strike the roof of my car while driving on the freeway. I didn’t notice anything until the crack appeared dead center! :mad: It’s like a foot long! Wonder how much this will cost to fix? :( Maybe insurance will pay for it, I hope.

• Informative x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

Makes me wonder if my excess-free windscreen per year would cover this...I bet there's a watertight definition in my policy if I dig deep enough

3. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

check with service center to see if they cover it under warranty. I heard a while back that some glass they produced had some defects that would spontaneously crack. This could be one of them?

4. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

It was clearly struck by something. Tesla won’t cover this.

5. adaptabl

adaptabl Member

This one is on you to pay for. I bet it won't be cheap.

6. RunPDX80

RunPDX80 Member

What a bummer. Mile 86 and day 4 I got a crack in the windshield. Well over two decades behind the wheel and NEVER had a rock chip let alone a crack! In any event, insurance involved... price is ~$1500 parts and labor. :eek:

Will be following your progress on this thread. Good luck and sorry to hear!

7. smak

smak Member

My roof cracked, but in the way that it's a defect. The pattern is pretty distinctive.

8. AZatul

AZatul Member

This thread has got me worried. Live in AZ and seem to have a lot of rocks in the road. Had to replace our windshield a couple of times in our ICE car.

If any rock hits the roof, is it going to crack the glass just like the windshield? This could be annoying ongoing concern.

• Like x 1
  9. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

I also experienced a crack on my front windshield, probably caused by a tiny rock. It's a pretty large crack, too. I called Tesla a few minutes ago and was quoted at $959.96 for a replacement.

I could probably go through my insurance for this (GEICO), but then I'd still have to pay a $500 deductible and worry about my insurance cost going up... :(

10. BioSehnsucht

BioSehnsucht Model 3 LR

I wonder if some kind of Xpel or similar protective film on the roof would make a difference.

11. davedavedave

davedavedave Member

IMHO, I doubt it.

12. davedavedave

davedavedave Member

Note to self: keep duct tape in frunk. ;)

Seriously - that sucks - sorry for your grief. It makes me think I might want to go back to a $500 deductible after having bumped up to $2k

• Like x 2
  13. BioSehnsucht

BioSehnsucht Model 3 LR

It works for headlights against rock strikes - why not glass roof?

14. JeffnReno

JeffnReno Member

I carry $50 deductible for comprehensive on all 3 of my vehicles for this very reason.

15. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

The OP's glass roof is clearly not a defect in glass or manufacturing but a strike by something that hit it. You can tell where the rock hit it and chipped it resulting in the spreading crack. The stress cracks that were seen in some cars early on have a different pattern.

This was one of the reasons I'm not a fan of glass roofs as nice as they may be from the inside looking out. I was actually hoping for a pano roof on the Model 3 which would give me the open sunroof I wanted and also minimize size of the the glass thinking it would be less expensive to replace from road stones. But decided I couldn't wait any longer and at least waited long enough for the AWD. Fingers crossed the road debris out here isn't attracted to my new car :rolleyes:. Had one windshield replaced and another one with a crack that was repaired but still visible. I don't believe there is anything on the market right now that will effectively protect your glass from chips.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. croman

croman Active Member

My S all glass roof has taken several strikes without issue or chipping. Knock on wood... Might've just been bad luck unless 3 roof glass is somehow thinner.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  17. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

Probably depends on what hits it and the shape of it more than anything.

• Like x 2
  18. xav-

xav- Active Member

I got a chip hit the windshield as well. I got it repaired for $50.. but was told by tesla that the windshield was $530 for the part so a little surprised by your figure.

I am very suspicious on the quality of the windshield by the way.

On a separate note I had the spontaneous crack on the pano roof which was replaced for free.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  19. xav-

xav- Active Member

OP.. a piece of advice.. I would avoid giving too much detail to tesla as to the conditions that were in place when this happened.

Bottom line there is a known defect with the pano roof and I am personally not 100 % convinced that the defect has nothing to do with what happened to you.

I would assume the extra tension on the pano roof could make it more vulnerable.

20. xav-

xav- Active Member

This is a vague recollection but as discussed.. I had a small crack on my windshield which was repaired (rock chip) and I had the spontaneous crack on my pano roof (while parked)..

I vaguely recollect that I was told by the windshield repair guy that the windshield was pretty thin. It’s a vague recollection though.