Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG! My roof window has a crack!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anybody have their glass broken from rocks flying from under regular cars? I've had my windshield replaced twice during my driving history and both times rocks came out from under semis. I try to avoid driving behind trucks/semis since then. I've heard rocks hitting windshild multiple times when I was behind cars, but it never resulted in cracks. Not sure if it's luck or has more to do with the weight of the car that launches the rock.
I think it is more the size of the rocks. Semis usually have wide deep thread that pickup larger rocks than the small rocks in the tighter narrower thread that most sedans have. Big 4x4 trucks with their lifted off-road mud tires are a problem too. I hate being behind cement or gravel trucks the most. Once had a gravel truck that didn't have the gate closed properly and was layering gravel all down the freeway at 70+mph. It was a real nightmare because the choice was either slow way down to give extreme distance or speed way up to try and get past him as quick as possible.

I have this same issue. Been shopping around and so far, ameriprise is the best. Unless you are with USAA.
What is your deduct? $250 or $500?
100/300?
Adding the Model 3 increase my total yearly cost from 3.2K to ~ 5K.
Perfect driving record and no accident. Just one young driver in the house.
What is your best quote for you currently?
Didn't I answer that? Around $1390 for full coverage on all 3 vehicles for 6 months so my yearly cost is double that for all 3. I actually got an updated quote on thaesame policy due to renew 1st of Aug. and it went down to $1247 for all 3 for 6 months. I'm pretty happy with what I have...YMMV.

What a bummer. Mile 86 and day 4 I got a crack in the windshield. Well over two decades behind the wheel and NEVER had a rock chip let alone a crack! In any event, insurance involved... price is ~$1500 parts and labor. :eek:

Will be following your progress on this thread. Good luck and sorry to hear!
$1500 for just the front windshield!? That’s outrageous. Just got an OEM replacement on my Mustang and that’s was $457 out the door.

FWIW when I asked USAA about getting a $0 deductible for comprehensive (glass/fire/theft) instead of $500 years ago it added like $8 every 6 months to my policy. Seemed pretty worthwhile given it'd come out cheaper that way with only 1 windshield replacement every 30 years, and most people end up needing to replace them more often than that...

Reactions: JeffnReno