Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG - Supercharging standard in all Model 3's - wowsers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is it will take twice as long to add 200 miles of range to the 3 as it does the 90D.

The 90D is 69% of SOC to add 200 miles. Model 3 is 93% of SOC o add 200 miles. That 69 to 93 takes as long as from 0 to 69.

So every model 3 released out in the wild will have double the impact as a 90D on the superchargers.

That's assuming the max charge rate doesn't improve and then only true for the base model. The 215 mile EPA was a hedge about the minimum range they'd live with on the smallest pack. There will be larger packs that will do more range and charge faster.

It makes sense that supercharging will come on all m3s, included in the sale price. This is great news for the supercharger network. By the end of 2018 there will be a charger every 30-50 miles on all but the most remote major thruways.

The 60s are getting supercharger enabled as they pass through the CPO system. They very well will count.

I've had my MS for a year and have driven 19K miles on it. I supercharge an average of once a week and have gone on multiple long trips to other states ranging from 1600 to 2000 mile round trips. I've NEVER EVER once seen an S60 at a supercharger. Not once. In fact, of the thousands of Tesla's I've seen on the road, not one of those has ever been an S60 except for the loaner I had from Tesla. And I do look every time I stop to supercharge to take note of what other models are there.

You'd better hope there aren't a ton out there hiding that will eventually start using superchargers. Why? It takes 57% longer to charge an S60 to 140 miles than an 85D. For 200 miles, it's 84% longer.

I've had my MS for a year and have driven 19K miles on it. I supercharge an average of once a week and have gone on multiple long trips to other states ranging from 1600 to 2000 mile round trips. I've NEVER EVER once seen an S60 at a supercharger. Not once. In fact, of the thousands of Tesla's I've seen on the road, not one of those has ever been an S60 except for the loaner I had from Tesla. And I do look every time I stop to supercharge to take note of what other models are there.

You'd better hope there aren't a ton out there hiding that will eventually start using superchargers. Why? It takes 57% longer to charge an S60 to 140 miles than an 85D. For 200 miles, it's 84% longer.

With twice as many supercharger locations you won't have to charge to 200 miles. Yes it will take time to build more superchargers.

As to your personal observations I think that's like saying there are no supermodels in the world because every time i go to the bar I don't see any.

The reality is they exist, they just aren't in your vicinity.

Reactions: Darren F

What does that equate to in charge times for an S60?

I believe that Tesla is still determining what the supercharger access will be.

The vehicle will be supercharger capable, but if that will be included also for free is yet to be determined.

Will probably depend on final costing on the Model 3. If they are struggling to be profitable at $35,000 base, I would imaging they will make a charge for access.

With twice as many supercharger locations you won't have to charge to 200 miles. Yes it will take time to build more superchargers.

As to your personal observations I think that's like saying there are no supermodels in the world because every time i go to the bar I don't see any.

The reality is they exist, they just aren't in your vicinity.

Since the S60 can only supercharge at a supercharger, it's nothing like not seeing supermodels in a bar...which by the way I have ;)

Actually I don't think he did, he said all Model 3's would have supercharging included. He only used the term hardware for autopilot.

Right. What Elon said was ambiguous.

Separately, I agree with others. The cells used in the M3 will need to be capable of charging at greater rates. Otherwise M3s are really going to slow down the experience for the rest just as the S60s did.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I heard the word STANDARD a lot but not the word INCLUDED.

Why would anyone buy an “S” for 80K to 100K when he can buy a 3 with the same options for 35K.

Their has to be a major difference between the S and 3 or Elon will just kill the up side of the market.

I heard the word STANDARD a lot but not the word INCLUDED.

Why would anyone buy an “S” for 80K to 100K when he can buy a 3 with the same options for 35K.

Their has to be a major difference between the S and 3 or Elon will just kill the up side of the market.

Did you see how small the 3 is?? Even the rear wheel only s85 is 1 second faster from 0-60.

Since the S60 can only supercharge at a supercharger, it's nothing like not seeing supermodels in a bar...which by the way I have ;)

In both cases I've seen them on the internet but I've never put my hands on one. :)

If you follow the CPO threads you'll see hundreds of S60 that were or are listed. Long discussion about how they started to enable supercharging on every one that was CPO certified.

I personally want AP so the 2012-early 2014 CPOs don't interest me unless the price drops more than I'd expect and a S60 with AP is probably more rare than a S70 without the dual motors.

Last edited:
I bet that not only will supercharging (actual charging of the car) be not free on Model ≡, it will also not be a pay once for life thing. Model ≡ owners will be have to make recurring payments to keep supercharging.

(I am not talking about the supercharging hardware or the software that makes the car supercharging capable here. Those may very well be included in every single Model ≡. Just talking about actual charging of the car.)

Meh. 60's aren't a blip on the radar.
  • I'd bet that at least half of them are already supercharger enabled
  • 60s are less likely to skip chargers, so they're charging higher in the taper more often than the bigger batteries
  • If a 60 is getting clipped by a paired charger, the 60 is charging at the same rate as an 85 would anyway
  • If charging to your mileage + % reserve (like, getting app notifications at 7% that your car is ready), the 60 actually charges less total miles--at the top of the taper, no less, where charging takes the longest.
Not to mention that in the game of paired charger roulette, putting your money on pairing up with the 60 is your best bet.