Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG - Supercharging standard in all Model 3's - wowsers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He's on stage making incredible promises. There's no way. There's just no way he can do this! He can't do this. It's impossible:

$35K base price gives you 215 miles range, 5 star ratings in all crash categories, standard supercharging for everyone, 0-60 less than 6 seconds. OMFG. Autopilot hardware standard.

Doubling number of superchargers by end of next year.

My jaw is on the floor.

He's gonna break the internet. He's gonna break the world.

I'm gonna fall out of my chair.

His mouth is writing REALLY BIG CHECKS tonight.

God damn Elon - lead us forward!!!!!!!

• Funny
Reactions: HookBill
He was careful to say "autopilot hardware" standard - meaning of course they will charge to activate autopilot.

But he said - if I recall correctly (somebody find the video link if one is already recorded online, I don't have it) that supercharging is standard. He went on and on about how long distance travel is what Tesla's philosophy is based on, how they are doubling the number of superchargers soon, etc. etc. etc

I interpreted his words to mean supercharging is included for $35K base price, but autopilot will require an additional activation fee.

I could be wrong of course.

Having looked at other EVs for my d, I believe he means that the cars are capable of SC, which means "fast-charging." I doubt they will have free supercharging for life as with the early models. But who knows? He was making a lot of bold promises up there, but then kind of smirking at the same time...:p

Reactions: Xpress
Somehow I think that, given that Superchargers are the key to Elon's stated goal of "removing the barriers of long-distance travel" in order to spur EV adoption, I rather suspect this is one area that Tesla is going to draw a line in the sand on and keep free fur usage.

While there could be an activation fee for Supercharging in the Model 3, as there was for the 60KWh packs in the S, I don't see them moving to a pay-for-use model in the foreseeable future.

I got the distinct impression full auto pilot would be an option, but if you only wanted the safety functions, that was included.

As far as the supercharging statements go, he was less exact with his wording, but I got the impression there would be no charge to activate the supercharger hardware like the 60. He noteably did not say the word "free" at all, just that all Model 3's would come with supercharging in the base model. I think its still possible they might offer some sort of paid or susbcription "plan" for supercharging vs the free for life we have now.

I also heard free supercharging on all Model 3 (implied all)

AP optional, harware included so it's only a software upgrade if you need to activate full AP. Safety features out the gate at no cost.

superchargers-7200-by-2017-us-png.170008

Big woop, if they continue growing the supercharger networks fast, it shouldn't be that big of a problem.

Supply and demand.

The problem is it will take twice as long to add 200 miles of range to the 3 as it does the 90D.

The 90D is 69% of SOC to add 200 miles. Model 3 is 93% of SOC o add 200 miles. That 69 to 93 takes as long as from 0 to 69.

So every model 3 released out in the wild will have double the impact as a 90D on the superchargers.

Reactions: Ben W and Eclectic
Well... I hope we all appreciate what it was like to go to superchargers without waiting... I hope we all appreciate what it was like to only wait a few minutes, except for semi-rare occasions... I say that because offering supercharging as standard on the Model 3 will be a major headache for ALL owners given the current status of superchargers. Yeah I saw he plans to double them but permit issues and such will likely make a huge dent in the ambition...

This makes me all the more concerned about local abuse of superchargers...

Jeff

The problem is it will take twice as long to add 200 miles of range to the 3 as it does the 90D.

The 90D is 69% of SOC to add 200 miles. Model 3 is 93% of SOC o add 200 miles. That 69 to 93 takes as long as from 0 to 69.

So every model 3 released out in the wild will have double the impact as a 90D on the superchargers.
1. And I'm sure the engineers at Tesla are fully aware of this.

B. I don't think EM revealed the battery size in kw, so your numbers are assumptions that the two cars will have the same efficiency. They wont. But I will give that it'll take significantly longer to charge a Model 3 to 200 miles than it would a Model S. I don't think it'll be double though.

III. Also by your logic no one should own a 60kw or 70kw or 85kw model, because they're all slower to charge than a 90kw model.

And yes, I know someone will bring up the lines in CA. Those suck, and I hope Tesla is working to address it. There was 1 clogged SpC on the east coast, Newark, DE. Tesla recently upgraded it from 4 stalls to 12. I'm sure they have plans to upgrade all the congested SpCs elsewhere.

Regarding double the number of superchargers. That's why the installation of supercharger stations slowed down dramatically this year.
Elon is holding them back until this event.

I overlooked something the first time I heard EM's comments about the Supercharger doubling. At first, I interpreted it to mean double the number of Supercharging facilities. When I listened again, however, to the numbers he quoted, he quoted the number of charging bays. This means that some percentage of the promised "doubling" could actually be Tesla adding more charging bays at existing facilities.* Accordingly, it may be a mistake for us to interpret his comment by mentally doubling the number of dots that are currently showing on supercharge.info.

*I'm not arguing against the value of such a build-out, only that we're probably not going to see twice as many charging facilities.

Elon specifically stated that the autopilot safety features would be included. By calling out the safety features specifically it implies that the autosteering capabilities will cost extra.

Same thing for Supercharging, he said all of the cars would be supercharger capable, not that it would be free to charge. If they were planning on making it free he would have said so. That would be a huge selling point that he would clearly want to tout. By not saying it would be free it should be understood that it will cost extra.

1. And I'm sure the engineers at Tesla are fully aware of this.

B. I don't think EM revealed the battery size in kw, so your numbers are assumptions that the two cars will have the same efficiency. They wont. But I will give that it'll take significantly longer to charge a Model 3 to 200 miles than it would a Model S. I don't think it'll be double though.

III. Also by your logic no one should own a 60kw or 70kw or 85kw model, because they're all slower to charge than a 90kw model.

And yes, I know someone will bring up the lines in CA. Those suck, and I hope Tesla is working to address it. There was 1 clogged SpC on the east coast, Newark, DE. Tesla recently upgraded it from 4 stalls to 12. I'm sure they have plans to upgrade all the congested SpCs elsewhere.

Well, the 70s do take longer to charge and there were so few 60s that ever became supercharger enabled so they don't count. The 85's actually charge faster because the silicon added to the anodes of the 90s slow charging rate even if they temporarily increase capacity before they degrade due to anode fracturing.