Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG that truck is fugly!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I watched a couple test videos. Those people in the videos are not 'truck' owners. Whatever the 'size' is... it's 232 inches long. It is basically the exact same height, width and length of an F150 supercrew with the 6.5 bed. A Chevy Suburban is 225 inches long. I hope these current non-truck owners understand what they are getting into.

for reference:

190516_009_764A0802_FordF150-tesla-2-2-640x236.jpg

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: brianman and Reeler
Once the koolaide hangover clears, I bet most will be cancelling their reservations. Same thing happened with prior reveals. Tesla touted the number of orders, but stopped that after the cancellations started mounting.

Today, Tesla is nearly buy-off-the-lot. Put in a reservation and they quickly upsell you to something on the lot. Early fanboi's will end up with the overpriced versions that are full of bugs.

Save your $100 and buy one after a wait of only a few days is my prediction once the fanbois suffer the early deliveries. I was a day one reservation for the Model 3 with a California delivery who found folks could buy at the factory before me without tying up funds for years. Never got my extra prize for line waiters either--the scale model.

Fool me once . . . .

I do believe I’m knowledgeable... as much as anyone with respect to Apple and Netflix. I’ve been using Apple products since 1977 beginning with the Apple 2+ and most of their other products since. That doesn’t automatically make me a marketing expert, but I can assure you none of their products were ever introduced with so many people saying “WTF”. A huge number of people literally assumed Elon was trolling everyone and was going to say “just kidding” and roll out the real truck after a few minutes. Nobody ever thought anything remotely like that with AirPods, Netflix, etc., even if they had nitpicks and criticisms.

I am rooting for Tesla and I hope they sell a lot of these trucks. But I think this was a missed opportunity. Im sure they’ll sell many, but something even just slightly less weird looking would sell orders of magnitude more. I can understand the cold rolled steal, the exoskeleton design, and the design language in general. I give them credit for pushing the boundaries and not just making a normal looking truck. But I think the triangle shape is fugly.

I mean, one of the main things Tesla always had going for it versus the Leaf, Bolt, BMW i3, Prius, etc, was that they made good looking cars that just happened to be electric. They were the first company making EVs that weren’t “weird mobiles”. This truck has great technology, great specs, and maybe even a neat design language for a truck, with its hardcore brutalist style. But it’s shaped like a weird-mobile, unfortunately.

You were clearly unaware of all the AirPod memes and initial reaction.

You are also underestimating/lack understanding of the concept of change in thought, or the start of a new thought process.

You’re putting too much value in your own opinion of the truck.

Your philosophical foundation of thought is flawed and can be found in people who simply don’t understand change, and don’t understand how catalysts work in relation to change.

Once the koolaide hangover clears, I bet most will be cancelling their reservations. Same thing happened with prior reveals. Tesla touted the number of orders, but stopped that after the cancellations started mounting.

Today, Tesla is nearly buy-off-the-lot. Put in a reservation and they quickly upsell you to something on the lot. Early fanboi's will end up with the overpriced versions that are full of bugs.

Save your $100 and buy one after a wait of only a few days is my prediction once the fanbois suffer the early deliveries. I was a day one reservation for the Model 3 with a California delivery who found folks could buy at the factory before me without tying up funds for years. Never got my extra prize for line waiters either--the scale model.

Fool me once . . . .

Fool me once . . . .

At $100 I don’t think the rate of cancel will be high as you’re pitching but I also believe the rate of actual purchase would be lower than a $1000.

Didn’t model 3 cancellations mount due to the missed timeline of delivery?

At $100 I don’t think the rate of cancel will be high as you’re pitching but I also believe the rate of actual purchase would be lower than a $1000.

Didn’t model 3 cancellations mount due to the missed timeline of delivery?

They lost a model 3 sale from me cause I bought a model X instead. Base on the historical model 3 reservations, Elon can think Cybertruck number would be come an actual sale number.

But yes, people who put reservations for Cybertruck are totally different from model 3 reservations. At least for my friends. Cybertruck is more about fun right now, so my friends who put their money down for it, they are wealthy and can buy exotic cars easily.

Reservations will evaporate with Rivian, Ford and Chevy having more practical and conventional designs actually available (with some of those brands and off the lot) prior to the timeline (likely to delay) of Tesla.

Other than pricing that will hurt the other brands, the stark design of the Cybertruck will drive sales of the other brands. I particularly don't like to get noticed for what I drive so will be a hard pass. Tesla, not having a conventional design, was foolish to make their first offering so galvanizing. It should have been their second offering to capture that segment wanting Blade Runner attention grabbing.

Reservations will evaporate with Rivian, Ford and Chevy having more practical and conventional designs actually available (with some of those brands and off the lot) prior to the timeline (likely to delay) of Tesla.

Other than pricing that will hurt the other brands, the stark design of the Cybertruck will drive sales of the other brands. I particularly don't like to get noticed for what I drive so will be a hard pass. Tesla, not having a conventional design, was foolish to make their first offering so galvanizing. It should have been their second offering to capture that segment wanting Blade Runner attention grabbing.

it’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out. A lot of us also think Tesla nailed it and won’t be able to build these things fast enough.

I personally hope for the health of Tesla’s financials they sell enough, but I also am more than happy if I’m one of the few that actually go through with their purchase. I’d rather have something unique, than something you see everywhere. Always wanted an H1 Hummer and enjoyed seeing them in the “wild” when I was a little guy. Hope some little kid gets the same joy when they see my CT drive by!