Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG that truck is fugly!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me this design has military contracts written all over it. Stealth design, quiet, no major heat signature, bullet proof...not the things your average F150 purchaser needs.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Man, I thought I bought a lot of accessories for my Model 3. If companies make cool stuff like this I'll be even more broke by the time I'm done outfitting my cybertruck:

these-are-some-of-the-best-memes-about-the-tesla-cybertruck-official-unveil.jpg

• Love
Reactions: jboy210
I noticed no side mirrors. Do you think they'll add them? Or is it all cameras?

I also wonder about blind spot visibility -- I till turn around when backing out of a spot.

I also wonder how you see out the rear -- is that bed cover semi-transparent? Or is it all relying on cameras?

With the size of this truck, does it really matter what is around you? jk lol I think all mirrors and sensors..

• Funny
Reactions: Rothgarr
Issues:
How strong is that cover? It looks thin.
how does it function when covered with snow?
When it rolls up will snow and water run off onto the contents of the bed? It almost has to.
Can you access/clean the compartment where the rolled up cover is stowed? I have to assume it will get filled with water, ice snow, dirt.
Practical and good questions.

Reactions: Destiny1701
Would it be better to have the void behind the cab where air is trapped, allowing outside air to flow over rather than it coming down on the rear slope of the vehicle?

Trucks get worse MPG driving with the tailgate down
Not as far as I know. Pressure drag is always bad, whether it's behind the cab and/or behind the tail gate.

Tesla eliminated it behind the cab, and I believe is minimizing it behind the tailgate by tapering airflow from the back and sides with an optimal fineness ratio. They may also be doing something interesting to help fill in the low pressure area behind the tailgate by routing air from the bottom/sides up into that area.

Reactions: webdbbt
Funny to see all the negative comments and how the X and 3 are works of art. Both the X and 3 were panned for their looks at introduction. Comments like "I would not be seen dead in one of those" or "did you hit something with the front bumper" were common.

I also seem to remember similar comments about the Ford Taurus. They were our company cars and one guy refused to turn in his aging Mercury with its metal grill in front. He told me he could not tell if a Taurus was coming or going and they would never sell. They sold over 350,000 the 1st year.

Something like this render would have still been unique but on brand...

salmon-tesla-cybertruck-rendering-is-probably-more-rugged-than-the-real-deal-139171-7.jpg

Someone over there has lost their mind if they think they can go this far off the "norm" and sell these to anyone but fanbois. Rivian and Ford are going to eat their lunch in the Truck department.

Luckily they still have the Model 3 and Model Y that should keep them at the top of the EV stack for a while.

Would it be better to have the void behind the cab where air is trapped, allowing outside air to flow over rather than it coming down on the rear slope of the vehicle?

Trucks get worse MPG driving with the tailgate down

No. That was cause turbulence, and a bit of a vacuum, which behind the truck hurts mileage Have you noticed the tractor trailers you are starting to see have those flaps that angle inwards? That is to help the air blend back in behind the trailer. Same principles apply to the S,3,X, and Y. They all have sloping rooflines, rather than hard lines (expecially for the X and Y) to allow the air to blend back with as little turbulence as possible.

Trucks get even better mileage with a tonneau cover in place.

Issues:
How strong is that cover? It looks thin.
how does it function when covered with snow?
When it rolls up will snow and water run off onto the contents of the bed? It almost has to.
Can you access/clean the compartment where the rolled up cover is stowed? I have to assume it will get filled with water, ice snow, dirt.
Oh you mean like how the Model 3 trunk gets water into it when opened. Tesla doesn’t seem to think about these things and its frustrating from a consumer standpoint, especially a consumer that generally likes their products. They need to do these small details better.