Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I needed to take a four hour road trip from PA to Ohio. Upon arriving and looking at the front of my white model s, I now feel like there are extinct insect species as they are now on the front of my car. Anyone who has experience, are chemical bug and tar removers safe on the sensors up there, or do I need dish soap and good old fashioned elbow grease?

I needed to take a four hour road trip from PA to Ohio. Upon arriving and looking at the front of my white model s, I now feel like there are extinct insect species as they are now on the front of my car. Anyone who has experience, are chemical bug and tar removers safe on the sensors up there, or do I need dish soap and good old fashioned elbow grease?
Never use dish soap. If you clean it with water and car wash soap soon afterwards they will come off easily.

Griot's garage sells a product called "Bug Brigade" that you spray on before a road trip that makes it a little easier to remove the bugs. Also you should remove bugs as soon possible because the bugs are acidic and may stain your paint. I'm sure the acid can't be good for the wraps either.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: fasteddie7
Most detergents will remove surface applications like Zaino so I avoid them for car washing. A mild detergent for the purposes best.

We have also seen the front of our vehicles covered in a heavy layer of dead bugs after driving through prairie farm land. Borage seemed to be the worst as it attracts bubble bees.

The best approach to cleaning is a towel soaked in hot water that you lay over the affected area and leave it there for an hour to more. The bugs will then wash off easily. Tar and tree sap are bigger problems and my only solution has been solvents which also remove any topical treatment of the paint so they need to be reapplied in that area.

Bugs on cars are a good sign that the car is being used for touring.

Dawn is all I have used on all my cars. All perfect, including my last MS. Perfectly safe.

Dawn is awful for your paint, too harsh, literally dries out clear coat and had zero lubricity when washing so you will wind up with swirl marks everywhere. I have OCD about my car, the below is my car after 18 months, no swirls at all and it is swirl free. stick with a quality car shampoo. (or was, just traded it in last week for a new S) .

i also had expel on the front and i put a ceramic coating on the car, both make bug removal easier and safer.

Attachments

• IMG_0240.jpg
    IMG_0240.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 292
Reactions: jrad6515 and ibdb
Pics of the bugs? I get them too. Just wash the car right when I get home. Chemical Guys sells a special bug and tar soap.

• Informative
Reactions: fasteddie7
Best solution for bugs I've found so far......Optimum No Rinse.
I'll second this. I keep a bucket, some quality microfibers, a spray bottle, and ONR with me when I travel--a quick stop by a grocery store for some distilled water and I can wash the car anywhere. Spray wash concentration ONR onto the bugs, let sit for a moment, wipe the bugs off with an ONR-soaked microfiber, dry, and you're good as new. ONR works pretty well as a glass cleaner, too.

DetailKit.jpg

With Tesla's paint, definitely avoid letting bugs sit and cook onto the car for any significant period of time... they will etch the clearcoat (ask me how I know :rolleyes: ).

IMG_0158.JPG
That's the same as I do Petra. If they are really nasty ones. Lay a soaked microfiber towel on them and let them soak a bit. They soften up and wipe off.

Above is after a quick clean up while Supercharging in Idaho Falls. Just arrived after 650 miles from Las Vegas. And yes the grasshoppers in Idaho are Huge and they splatter!!

Reactions: mbaier and Petra
I'll second this. I keep a bucket, some quality microfibers, a spray bottle, and ONR with me when I travel--a quick stop by a grocery store for some distilled water and I can wash the car anywhere. Spray wash concentration ONR onto the bugs, let sit for a moment, wipe the bugs off with an ONR-soaked microfiber, dry, and you're good as new. ONR works pretty well as a glass cleaner, too.

DetailKit.jpg

With Tesla's paint, definitely avoid letting bugs sit and cook onto the car for any significant period of time... they will etch the clearcoat (ask me how I know :rolleyes: ).
You can mix up some ONR in a spray bottle and use it for spot cleaning.

Reactions: jrad6515 and Petra
Keep the front of your car waxed, the little buggers can't stick to the paint if there is a layer of wax in between. I use PF1 Crystalline on the wrapped portions of my car and Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax on the rest.

Last edited: