Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG - Wake Times from app are SOOOOHHHOOO SLOW.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a feeling the issue is not wake up times. I tried using the app to control the car when i was standing directly behind it after having already opened a door, so it should have been awake, but it still took 30+ seconds. I'm guessing the connection to the server is is more of the issue.

Lol, someone disagreed? Why? 30 seconds is too slow?

Are you effing kidding me? Of COURSE it's too slow. I often try to preheat the car before we leave for work in the morning. It goes something like this:

* Open app, wait for car to wake up for 10+ seconds, turn around to do something else, forget about phone, unlock phone again, car is still waking up or needs to start over again

* Leave phone out on bed while I'm getting dressed, hoping it will wake the car or notice it's awake, or whatever. Phone screen dims/locks after a minute or two

* open phone again, try again, tap screen every 30 seconds to make sure it doesn't go to sleep while my car is trying to figure out whether or not it should wake up

I'm not going to sit there and stare at the screen and do nothing else, just hoping the water eventually boils. I've got other things to do.

Yup 50.6 seems to have cured the issue.

I got 50.6 last night... Just tested it a few hours ago, 25 seconds, just tested again now, 20 seconds. It "feels" better than it was before, but that's only 2 data points. Even pre-50.6, sometimes it worked almost immediately, so I'm not ready to call it fixed yet. That said, we had pretty poor cell reception in our parking garage here at my office, which is where I'm testing it today, so it's hard to say. I don't normally have the car here in the garage.

Are you effing kidding me? Of COURSE it's too slow. I often try to preheat the car before we leave for work in the morning.
I'm not going to sit there and stare at the screen and do nothing else, just hoping the water eventually boils. I've got other things to do.

Lol, no I'm not effing kidding you. 30 seconds to me to send a signal from my phone through the internet to Tesla's server to through LTE connection to the car and back again doesn't seem that bad to me. But I guess everyone has their tolerances.

Interesting data point: today the car woke up / responded in exactly 30 seconds. BUT. Once it was woken up, 10 minutes later I opened the app to check how the pre-heating was going and it wouldn't respond. It just sat there saying "connecting". Clearly Tesla still has work to do.

Are you effing kidding me? Of COURSE it's too slow. I often try to preheat the car before we leave for work in the morning. It goes something like this:

* Open app, wait for car to wake up for 10+ seconds, turn around to do something else, forget about phone, unlock phone again, car is still waking up or needs to start over again

* Leave phone out on bed while I'm getting dressed, hoping it will wake the car or notice it's awake, or whatever. Phone screen dims/locks after a minute or two

* open phone again, try again, tap screen every 30 seconds to make sure it doesn't go to sleep while my car is trying to figure out whether or not it should wake up

That was my routine as well. A few days ago, I spent $4 for the Tasker app and Tesla for Tasker plugin so I just hit a widget and it communicates with the car and turns on the heat once the connection is established. It's only been a couple days, but so far, well worth the $4.

Seems to be more like 10-25 seconds now, much much much improved.

Unfortunately, our work wifi roaming seems wonky, so lots of times if I open the app at my desk, I can't check on the car or preheat or whatever on my 3-4min trip to the basement.

Car doesn't wake before my phone roams to another AP on the way to the restroom... signal drops in the restroom.. new AP on the way out... waiting for elevator.. then in elevator, no signal... basement, switches to LTE or 4G, sometimes it responds by then. You just get the spinning circle but you don't know if it's waiting on the car, or if the phone's connection is having issues, or what.

Just checked the car, it's parked in an open (eg, not underground) garage at my wife's work. 2min8sec. *yawn*
Oh well, sounds like this fix wasn't promised for this software update anyway, I think earlier in the thread someone said 52 or 54, we just got 50.
It's far from the end of the world, but it would be amazing if it was fast, whereas now it's merely occasionally useful.

Reactions: ksb467
Lol, no I'm not effing kidding you. 30 seconds to me to send a signal from my phone through the internet to Tesla's server to through LTE connection to the car and back again doesn't seem that bad to me. But I guess everyone has their tolerances.

I work in IT at a company that makes software for cars. A colleague once told me a story about a Windows CE-based device we developed for a large customer that took 55s to boot from power off. This only needed to happen every once in a while, but during the final check of the car before it leaves the factory, it turned out to be too long. The customer was very insistent on us cutting down the boot time...

As for these 30s delays - sorry, but the round trip via the server should take <1s. It probably does, once the car wakes up.

I wonder how the wakeup process works. Several options come to mind:
  • The car polls the server every couple seconds and if the server has been notified by the app it want to connect, the car gets a message to set up the online connection. Bad timing on the polling might cause a large delay.
  • Since it's a mobile network connection, the car gets a text message "Hey, wake up!", car connects to the server and goes online. Since the text message service runs in the unused bandwidth of the cellular network, congestion could cause delays or failure to wake up.
  • Car keeps a TCP connection open the whole time. This is resource intensive, so maybe it's not done or Tesla has trouble scaling up the required infrastructure.
  • Car keeps sending UDP pings every few seconds to the Server, telling it its IP address. Congestion could cause packet loss and delays.
  • Does anyone know how Android phones get messages, e.g. Hangouts, Mails, etc. even behind NAT? There might be a similar mechanism hiding in there...
Anyway, waking up (even a cold boot) shouldn't take that long. I think there's something broken and it doesn't have to be the car software!

Disclaimer: I don't have a Tesla yet (I'm in Germany and my car is still on the way... ;-)

Even if Tesla totally screwed up everything they could still run a server and fake a fast response time. Just upload the cars status to the server occasionally and have the server queue commands to the car. It would still take just as long to send commands to the car but at least you wouldn't have to spend a minute staring at a spinning circle.

Reactions: fiatlux
Along those same lines, it seems a reasonable compromise would be to allow the app to send a "pre-heat/cool" command to the car without it actually being connected/woken up (and while you're at it, make a widget with a button that does that so I don't even have to open the app).

99% of the time I open the app it's to start the HVAC. I don't necessarily care if it starts that very second. Let an app go off and wait for the car to wake up in the background if that's necessary and then activate the HVAC without me having to stare at my phone and wait for the light to turn green so I can send the command.

My LEAF had a 3rd party app (that sadly has been abandoned) that provided this kind of functionality, with a widget any everything. It was even smart enough to realize that you exited the car, wait 5 minutes and then request a SOC% from the server so it could display the battery SOC and estimated range in the widget. Yes, it's possible it's out of date, but that's fine.

That way the car could go into whatever deep sleep it needs to, but for 99% of the things I want to do with the app, I can interact with it without any delay.

If it takes longer for the app to connect than it does to go out to the car and do whatever it is you were going to do, then it's too damn slow. I remember spending like 10 minutes one morning trying to get summon to work, I ended up just getting into the car real carefully instead...

Reactions: planetary
Along those same lines, it seems a reasonable compromise would be to allow the app to send a "pre-heat/cool" command to the car without it actually being connected/woken up (and while you're at it, make a widget with a button that does that so I don't even have to open the app).

99% of the time I open the app it's to start the HVAC. I don't necessarily care if it starts that very second. Let an app go off and wait for the car to wake up in the background if that's necessary and then activate the HVAC without me having to stare at my phone and wait for the light to turn green so I can send the command.

As I posted just a few messages up, spending $4 on Tasker and the Tesla plugin for Tasker will accomplish this for you. I have a widget on my homescreen that I hit and it heats the car/seat heaters. I'm very happy with the functionality.