Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On a Trip, and the Falcon Wing Door Won’t Close!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are on a ski trip to VT, about 250 miles from home. When we arrived at the ski resort, my son tried to open his FWD on the drivers side, and it wouldn’t fully open. It was only opening about 6 inches, then it stopped. My wife got out to try to open the FWD from the outside by pushing on the handle and it still wouldn’t fully open. She said she then tried to “help” the door open by pulling on it a bit. I was at the front desk of the resort checking in, so I didn’t see what she did.

When I went back to the car, the FWD would not shut all the way! It goes all the way down, but it’s not latching at the bottom. It’s only 10 degrees outside so I thought it may have been due to the cold weather, but I put the car in the garage and it’s about 65 degrees in the garage. It’s been in the garage for 2 hours and the door still won’t shut!

Not sure what to do! I tried a soft reset, I tried holding the open/close button down continuously and I’ve tried to open and close the door numerous times. Nothing is working!

I’m getting worried because there are no service centers nearby!

Any suggestions? We are leaving on Sunday mid day.

Thanks in advance!

Try a recalibration? From another poat: "The recalibration process is this...having just done it yesterday: sitting in the car / second row / doors closed. Push down on the FWD switch (child lock off) until it beeps and keep holding for another 5-10 seconds. Then pull up on the FWD switch and keep pulling as it opens - it will open very slowly as it calibrate. you can the let off and it will open all the way up. Be sure to be in an area with open sky, flat if possible and no kids or things running around to stop it get in the way. Repeat for the other door."

Good luck!

@Polar993 I hope things are working out.

From this thread on resetting: Model X Reset Techniques

Falcon Wing Door Calibration
Take the vehicle outdoors where there’s nothing in range of the FWD (and probably no overhead cache - that is, the display allows you to fully open the doors on one touch.) Hold the physical door switch inside the vehicle until door is all the way open. Next, hold the physical door switch down until the door is all the way closed. The door should be recalibrated at this point.​

Falcon Wing Door Complete Reset:
Remove access panel in funk area (no tool required)
Disconnect emergency services power loop located under the orange sticker that should be above your funk space.
Get a stubby 13mm socket and disconnect ground strap (black wire bolted to chassis under the area of the Emergency Services loop.) Wait 20 Seconds. Reconnect it.
Plug the loop back in.
Center screen will suggest you need to recalibrate the doors.
This reset is needed when no button pushes or holds work and the door is completely non-responsive.​

Thanks everyone! I was able to successfully re-calibrate the FWD and it was able to properly re-latch!

I appreciate all of the responses and feedback....this forum is great!!!

My passenger falcon door started not closing same time as yours and in VT. How strange is that! My door is still stuck slightly open. There were three different methods mentioned in this thread. Which method worked for you?

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Just got the same issue. All three reset/calibration options didn’t work for me... I’m waiting in the phone for support. I just got 2019.2.1 this morning. Don’t know if this could be related? Bad software update? Should I ask them to push a new update if possible?

Update: I managed to have the door latched so at least I can drive the car tomorrow to my SC. We’ll see what they find out.

Last edited:
Update: after several (three) visits from the mobile service, several sensors replacement, they nail the issue down to a faulty coiled spring. They ordered the part and should be able to replace it soon. Love Tesla mobile service! So professional and convenient.

• Love
Reactions: scottf200