Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On Board Air Compressor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

Just noticed a Facebook posting where it was stated that there is an on-board air compressor that can be accessed on cars with SAS. Before I go tearing my frunk apart, I was wondering if this was true. Supposedly it has a standard Shrader valve connection that would accept an air hose for tire inflation.

Is this for real? Thanks.

Hi Guys,

Just noticed a Facebook posting where it was stated that there is an on-board air compressor that can be accessed on cars with SAS. Before I go tearing my frunk apart, I was wondering if this was true. Supposedly it has a standard Shrader valve connection that would accept an air hose for tire inflation.

Is this for real? Thanks.

SAS obviously uses an onboard air compressor. I've never read of people accessing it or using it for another purpose. GM did have such an arrangement on the Aztec and some others of that generation, so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

Even if it worked, you would still need a long enough hose that reaches all 4 tires. I got a small 12 Volt compressor. Helped me a few times already. The first time I had a flat I use a hand pump and ... well that was my workout for that day :) I bought the small portable compressor after that.

Never heard of this before. Doubt it is true. I do have the separate air compressor that you can plug into the cigarette lighter.
When I was a kid we had an Oldsmobile Silhouette that had auto-leveling suspension. There was a panel in the cargo area you could open up to expose an air hose and on/off switch that I'm pretty sure used the same compressor as the suspension. We never found a single reason to use it.

A lot air suspension systems these days are a sealed system that is full of nitrogen with a storage tank. to minimize corrosion/contamination I believe.
Yes, the Tesla *is* a closed loop system with an onboard air tank. The system works by using a pump to move the air between the strut bladders and the tank, depending on if you are raising or lowering. That said, I don't know if our system is filled with Nitrogen or not. There is a standard Schrader valve on the tank, and the tank is easily accessible under the cowling cover that can be removed under the frunk lid. It is *possible* that the system can replenish itself via the onboard pump, in the event of a slow leak. Unfortunately I can not confirm this.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
This isnt a closed loop system on my 2013 MS, might be different for newer ones When you remove all the frunk covers underneath you will find the compressor for the air suspension has a dump valve and a filter for the air intake both of these open to fresh air. This pump fills this small tank to about 50 lbs of pressure, which works great for filling tires when you only need 35-45 lbs. I made a hose that attaches and locks to the shrader valve and I can fill any tire on my car or any car. The car does require it to be powered on though to keep the pump running so someone has to stay in the drivers seat if you want it to pump up. The shrader is located under the cover in the frunk against the window and very easy to access in about 1 min. I will post some pics later.

Reactions: KarenRei
A closed system is not necessarily a sealed system. Even a closed system has to have a dump valve and fresh air intake.

Remember, air molecules vibrate more rapidly, pushing them apart, decreasing density, increasing pressure, as temperature rises. The reverse happens as temperature decreases. The ambient temperature in the areas you drive could alter by as much as 100 degree Fahrenheit. The system would need to be able to cope with this.

Along with that, I may drive in areas of varying altitude of as much as 7,000 feet. This change in altitude will result in a change in atmospheric pressure. I'm not sure how much influence this has on the soft bellows, but again the system would need to cope with this.

Another situation (and most common in older cars) is if you develop a leak in the system. A slow leak can be dealt with by occasionally pumping in fresh air.

As a bonus scenario, and one of which I just recently experienced... I had my suspension set at 'Very High'. I proceeded to jack up one corner of the car without putting it in 'Jack' mode first. Once I lowered the car back down, it needed to do something with that extra pressure it built-up trying to level, and it did so by popping the dump valve. Scared the crap out of me!