Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On-Board Cameras to Help Videotape Crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in an accident in my Model 3 last Thursday. A guy ran a red light and "T-boned" me. The next day I learned that he's claiming his light was yellow (which is a lie). This would, of course, mean that my light was red and would make me liable for the wreck. I know Teslas have several on-board cameras. Is there any chance one of those cameras might have recorded the crash - and maybe the green light in front of me at the time of the wreck? Thanks.

I've never done anything to install cameras in the car, and I've never changed whatever the standard settings are for any cameras that are part of the car. I've just heard before that Teslas have several cameras onboard and I though one of those might be positioned in such a way that it recorded the green light at the time I was hit. Thanks.

I've never done anything to install cameras in the car, and I've never changed whatever the standard settings are for any cameras that are part of the car. I've just heard before that Teslas have several cameras onboard and I though one of those might be positioned in such a way that it recorded the green light at the time I was hit. Thanks.

I didnt mention anything about installing cameras, I asked if you had a USB drive for recording dashcam footage already setup. There are no "settings" for any of the cameras. If you did not setup a USB drive (which is not installing cameras or changing settings for cameras), then, no, you have nothing recorded and there is no way to get anything.

Based on your previous response I will make an assumption (which I know many times assumptions are incorrect), that you did NOT setup a USB drive for recording your dash cam videos, so the answer to your thread question in that case would be "no, there is nothing, if you did not setup a USB first".

I was in an accident in my Model 3 last Thursday. A guy ran a red light and "T-boned" me. The next day I learned that he's claiming his light was yellow (which is a lie). This would, of course, mean that my light was red and would make me liable for the wreck. I know Teslas have several on-board cameras. Is there any chance one of those cameras might have recorded the crash - and maybe the green light in front of me at the time of the wreck? Thanks.
What year model is your Model 3? The newer ones already have a USB drive so maybe you have one and don't know it. My sons Tesla was T-boned and they used the video footage to show that the other driver was at fault. He had only had it for a month before it got totaled.

That is far from definitive evidence. The claim could be made that the OP started early and pulled in front of the other driver.

Which IS what the other driver is claiming.
Yes, the Tesla driver was in a sucidal path and started his car before he got the green light.

Which IS what the other driver is trying to demonstrate.

And I am sure it will be very easier to convince a jury that it is much more common to see drivers starting before the green light than to see drivers passing a red light.

Well, the other driver try to lie the fact he saw the orange light from a distance but instead of slowing down,
he made a bad judgement and floored the accelerator but when he was passing the intersection the light was already red.

A good point for the Tesla is that when you are waiting at a light, you get a 'ding' noise when the ligh goes green.
And I assume that the green light might occur may be after 3 or 4 seconds after the other light becomes red.

Yes, the Tesla driver was in a sucidal path and started his car before he got the green light.
Oh, I wasn't siding with nor endorsing the argument of the other driver: merely countering the individuals post that "the person doing the hitting is clearly at fault" argument. The situation as described by the OP is fairly clear cut to me (though of course, we are just hearing one side of the argument).

A good point for the Tesla is that when you are waiting at a light, you get a 'ding' noise when the ligh goes green.
And I assume that the green light might occur may be after 3 or 4 seconds after the other light becomes red.
If you have FSD

And the "3 or 4 second" delay is not everywhere: most signals are still set to turn green within a much shorter time (<1 second).

Reactions: WhiteWi