Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On board generator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The State of the Nation in 2016, is you cannot drive an EV anywhere you wish, not even a Tesla.

It will be true someday, but not today.

Yes, a 4 cyl engine will fit in the nose of a Model S. They fit V8's in hoods like that.

To get the kind if amperage you would need to make it worthwhile, you would need a motor and alterator space around 4-5 ft x 2ftx2ft, and several hundred kg's. Plus a fuel tank.
So maybe do some research on how large such a device would need to be at the charge rate you want, and you may answer your own question.

To get the kind if amperage you would need to make it worthwhile, you would need a motor and alterator space around 4-5 ft x 2ftx2ft, and several hundred kg's. Plus a fuel tank.
So maybe do some research on how large such a device would need to be at the charge rate you want, and you may answer your own question.
Also there is all the regulation that goes along with the silly ICE. The answer is not to turn a Tesla into a Prius. That's just going backwards. There are few places where you can't plan your trip to be reasonably convenient even without Superchargers. I did it for two years before Superchargers were available in my area.

Not being an engineer, I did my "research" by asking knowledgeable members on this forum. I learned that my idea was not currently feasible, but it was asked in all sincerity and with the intent to learn. I also learned that some members on this forum would prefer to respond to such questions with condescension and a bit of attitude. Thanks.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tiberius
Not being an engineer, I did my "research" by asking knowledgeable members on this forum. I learned that my idea was not currently feasible, but it was asked in all sincerity and with the intent to learn. I also learned that some members on this forum would prefer to respond to such questions with condescension and a bit of attitude. Thanks.

It's absolutely feasible - if BMW can do it in the i3, Tesla could certainly do it in the S, with so much more room to work with.

Whether it's wise and fits into Tesla's plan and strategy is another question entirely. :-/

Don't take any of the replies personally, if you had prefaced your questions as being a technical inquiry from someone not an expert in the field, then the replies may have been a little less abrasive.

A car, fossil-fueled or electric, only produces the amount of power at the wheels needed to overcome the loads such as air resistance, rolling friction, incline angle of the road, etc, --and maintain the desired speed. If you want to go faster you need more power; if you add additional load such as a generator it requires more power to maintain your speed or you will slow down due to the extra load on the wheels.

Reactions: longshadows
image.jpeg

I've been watching this thread like an accident you can't look away from.

Honestly I can't tell if this is a hoax or not.
A couple of things make clear the fraudulent nature of this. About 3/4 of the way through, he mentions that it is a fund raiser. Of course! To get the gullible to send him money. Second, after he turns off the noisy machine, he doesn't twist any of the light bulbs again (they would come on, because they are hooked up to the building's power). Third, he doesn't let an electrical engineer with a voltmeter anywhere near it. Finally, if anything like this were really possible, they would be powering everything already. There is no such thing as getting useful amounts of power from the "quantum field," or other such gobbledegook.

Started to make a left turn from a stop sign. Pulled out into cross traffic in a 60 MPH zone. Stuck my nose in front of a Jeep. The bumper went sliding about 200 feet down the road. Steering wheel and knee airbags went off. Still haven't found the right tire. Started getting dash message that there was a problem with my brakes! LOL

hello everybody
since this thread was started about generator I would pose following idea ...

Might induction be the solution?
I had a clear moment today ;-) and though of the following... Why not lay some cables in the road and give energy by induction or so ... Wouldn't it be possible to give energy by induction on the main roads only? when driving on the main roads you don't use battery power but get energy from the "net" ... just an idea, trying to save the world ;-)... somebody can add some scientific arguments?

hello everybody
since this thread was started about generator I would pose following idea ...

Might induction be the solution?
I had a clear moment today ;-) and though of the following... Why not lay some cables in the road and give energy by induction or so ... Wouldn't it be possible to give energy by induction on the main roads only? when driving on the main roads you don't use battery power but get energy from the "net" ... just an idea, trying to save the world ;-)... somebody can add some scientific arguments?

Possible sure. But it ain't cheap. Ever seen those wires above trains and trams? Same concept...

Any thoughts as to why Tesla automobiles don't incorporate any sort of internal generator, which might run when car us in motion, if not charging the main battery itself, might supplement power usage of accessories, like lighting, a/c and heating. Any extension of range has got to be a winner.
This has been discussed to death.Summary:

• If I wanted a hybrid, I would buy a Volt.
  • The existing motors already do act as a generator, when regenerating power when stopping.
  • Any generator simply hooked up to the traction motors would simply put more load on the motors and decrease range.
  • There is no way to get "free" power (perpetual motion), see First & Second Laws of Thermodynamics (in wikipedia).
If you would like to draw power from infrastructure (induction loops in the road, overhead catenary like a trolley, etc.) this is possible, but it is no longer onboard, and is economically feasible only in the downtown areas of big cities.

Sorry to bring up this old thing... sure not a great first post lol.
Anyway, to sound idiotic.
I figured a way to possibly recharge the battery while driving or at the very least extend the range quit a bit more than 400 miles. I believe with some engineering help it can be done. Also it won't add any extra load to the motor, no strain.
My question is it even worth trying? To late to the game since technology is quick?

Sorry to bring up this old thing... sure not a great first post lol.
Anyway, to sound idiotic.
I figured a way to possibly recharge the battery while driving or at the very least extend the range quit a bit more than 400 miles. I believe with some engineering help it can be done. Also it won't add any extra load to the motor, no strain.
My question is it even worth trying? To late to the game since technology is quick?

If you can find a way that actually works, it is probably worth trying. It seems rather more likely that you have another form of perpetual motion, but we won’t know unless you explain in more detail.