Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On coming flashers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a good hunt through the forum with no joy on info on this one.

I understand that the Model 3 lights are highly advanced and that makes them brighter than most however for me almost every journey I'll have at least 1 oncoming car flash me. If there's new passengers, it's embarrassing to explain.

The lights are set to auto and full beam is not on. There doesn't seem as if there's anything else I can do?

When being flashed it's difficult not to flash back with full beam so they understand I didn't have full beam on :D but I do sympathize with them as I would find it annoying if I was blinded!

Any advice is appreciated :)

Reactions: pow216
I've had a number of people flashing me despite being on low beam - wish I'd remembered to mention it when I was in the Tesla garage this morning. The lights don't look like they're out of whack from where I'm sat, but clearly they're causing other drivers problems.

I turned the auto-high beam off shortly after getting the car. It's quite clever, but not clever enough. Takes a little too long to dip the lights for oncoming cars and is too often fooled into dipping them from reflections from road signs.

As NorfolkMustard said - get them aligned.

It's very easy to do yourself (search youtube etc.). Drive up to wall, mark where the peak light is, drive back and make sure the spot is at the very least not higher than the mark. In meantime, you can simply lower the headlights by a couple of 'notches' from the GUI

Reactions: Jai0919
I was getting flashed at all the time. Brought my 3 to an MOT centre and my right headlight was pointing high and right. A simple adjustment and I haven't been flashed at again.

That's a good call, but this is happening on all road types when the sun is coming up, down or night time and some aren't a polite flash back, they put their full beam on completely to show annoyance which of course causes me visibility problems.

Get it to a garage/MOT centre. Sounds like they’re out of alignment
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely get this checked out once the Southampton SC opens (hopefully soon). The next nearest SC is a day trip eeek!

The settings menu make it very easy. I did mine at a friendly local MOT centre on their test bed, but having done it once, it is easy enough to do without the measuring equipment as well. I just wanted to be certain (i) the original configuration was out of spec and (ii) it was within MOT requirements when re-aligned.

Mine must be ok as I never get flashed.
The vast majority are fine from what I have observed. But it seems some slipped through the extensive (!) pre delivery inspections with poor headlight alignment. Given my car was otherwise pretty much flaw free at delivery, taking mine to a friendly local MOT centre for a quick headlight adjustment was trivial. And the local place refused to charge me, so enthralled were they seeing a new Model 3 which were still quite rare at the time.

Reactions: Adopado