Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On delivery in Raleigh NC read ALL the forms closely ... cost me $1,100 not to.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

advocate8

Nov 12, 2019
Maryland
I took delivery of a new Model 3 about two weeks ago. At order time, I told my representative that I wanted to transfer my old car's tags, which would save registration fees and nearly $900 in property taxes.
Upon delivery, I told the delivery team the same thing. They hesitated briefly, said sure, and then put all the documents in front of me to sign. I should have read all of them very closely, as it turns out. One said I wanted new tags. Which no one really every should in North Carolina, as you can transfer old ones for a grand total of $20 and aren't liable for additional property taxes until the old one expires
I just now received a NEW tag I didn't need in the mail with a notice that I had paid nearly $200 for registration for the new tags and owed nearly $900 in property taxes immediately.
This is EXACTLY what I would have avoided by transferring my old tag. This is a huge sum of money, equal to a couple of years of fuel savings for me... kind of gutted about this.
In addition to paying for an extra 8 months of taxes, by the time the old tags ran out in September, the property tax valuation would have been for a used Model 3 rather than a new one.
My fault for being stupid and not reading, but definitely also the sales and delivery team's fault for not listening to me. It should be a red flag for them to at least discuss this when anyone doesn't opt to transfer old tags.

This sucks man - actually I am located in Raleigh as well and although not an owner (yet!) I have to say the Tesla sales team in NC did not leave me with the best of impression. I actually test drove the M3 twice, first time in Raleigh on a rainy day and a second time in Dallas and I feel that the SA was much better the second time round. He spent a lot more time with me in and out of the car.

The guy who actually did my familiarization routine at delivery was really great. But they -- I think mainly the person who was acting in the "business manger" role handling the paperwork, just blew it.
And my main SA was great except for this one thing. I mean, I flatly told him that's what I wanted, and I told the paperwork guy on the delivery team the same.
I have really zero other issues with them, and nothing but good things to say except this. And again, a good 50 percent of it can be blamed on me. It's just such a painfully huge amount of money for me -- especially at Christmas!!! -- and for nothing in return, that Im struggling to deal with it.
The purchase was a big stretch for me, took 18 months of saving and scrimping to swing the cash up front.

Then when I called they essentially blew me off by pointing out that I had signed the document... never mind that there were a fat stack of things they had me sign. I'd have been fine if they'd said, OK, look, we remember you said that, and it was in the SA's notes. We're super sorry... there's nothing we can do about the plates, that's in DOT's hands. And you did sign, but yeah, we're partly to blame, so can we make it up to you with a wall connector, or a set of mats or a fob or something?
There was none of that. Just, sorry you feel that way, you signed.

This sucks man - actually I am located in Raleigh as well and although not an owner (yet!) I have to say the Tesla sales team in NC did not leave me with the best of impression. I actually test drove the M3 twice, first time in Raleigh on a rainy day and a second time in Dallas and I feel that the SA was much better the second time round. He spent a lot more time with me in and out of the car.

It's still a good move to buy the car. It's a great car, you should do it. And now you've got supercharging in Cary if you're on that side of town.
The sales and delivery team there is totally great except for this... just don't do what I did, read the papers, and take your old tag with you to delivery to make sure. It will save you a ton.

I took delivery of a new Model 3 about two weeks ago. At order time, I told my representative that I wanted to transfer my old car's tags, which would save registration fees and nearly $900 in property taxes.
Upon delivery, I told the delivery team the same thing. They hesitated briefly, said sure, and then put all the documents in front of me to sign. I should have read all of them very closely, as it turns out. One said I wanted new tags. Which no one really every should in North Carolina, as you can transfer old ones for a grand total of $20 and aren't liable for additional property taxes until the old one expires
I just now received a NEW tag I didn't need in the mail with a notice that I had paid nearly $200 for registration for the new tags and owed nearly $900 in property taxes immediately.
This is EXACTLY what I would have avoided by transferring my old tag. This is a huge sum of money, equal to a couple of years of fuel savings for me... kind of gutted about this.
In addition to paying for an extra 8 months of taxes, by the time the old tags ran out in September, the property tax valuation would have been for a used Model 3 rather than a new one.
My fault for being stupid and not reading, but definitely also the sales and delivery team's fault for not listening to me. It should be a red flag for them to at least discuss this when anyone doesn't opt to transfer old tags.
Can't you go to the NC DMV and correct the issue?

im confused..was the total under "payment due" different than you ended up paying when you took delivery?

I am picking up my car from Raleigh on the 20th..I am bringing a check for the full balance and I am not tranfering a plate. Am I going to get some additional charges when I go to take delivery?
I see a "registration/transfer/titling fees" listed on my mvpa for $233.

Here's what (I think) he's saying.

Let's say your registration/property tax bill for your 1973 Pinto was $3.50. And you paid it in October.

If in November you transfer the plates to your 2020 Tesla Model 3- a car for which the property taxes are likely to be nearer $1000...you won't actually get a bill until October of next year when the Pinto registration expires.

On the other hand if you get "new" plates in November on the Tesla, you get a bill for $1000 immediately.

This has no impact on what you owe Tesla- they don't collect property taxes.

Obviously if the timing is perfect you can do this and avoid property tax for a year (actually, if timing is perfect, for nearly 15 months)... but if you're on the other end of things and your old tag expires 91 days from when you take delivery you're gain a bit less value from doing this.

I will be picking up my car in Raleigh on the 10th. The car I am trading in has the registration in my wife's name. Does anyone know if I am able to transfer it to the Tesla into my name?

I will be picking up my car in Raleigh on the 10th. The car I am trading in has the registration in my wife's name. Does anyone know if I am able to transfer it to the Tesla into my name?

You should be able to, but she will have to be there to sign a power of attorney to let you transact on the car. At least that's what I had to do when we traded in a car that was in my name to buy a new car that was in my husband's name.

You may be able to get a power of attorney written up ahead of time and notorized and then she might not have to be there in person. I'd check with Tesla.

And thanks for commenting this, since it reminded me that I think my husband is on the title for the car I'll be trading in at the Raleigh location as soon as I get a car!! (Ordered 10/28!)

(Or maybe she'll just have to sign it over if she's there, and get the POA if she won't be there. Now that I think about it, I think I had to do the POA because they couldn't finish the transaction before I had to take the baby home to go to bed...)

You should be able to, but she will have to be there to sign a power of attorney to let you transact on the car. At least that's what I had to do when we traded in a car that was in my name to buy a new car that was in my husband's name.

You may be able to get a power of attorney written up ahead of time and notorized and then she might not have to be there in person. I'd check with Tesla.

And thanks for commenting this, since it reminded me that I think my husband is on the title for the car I'll be trading in at the Raleigh location as soon as I get a car!! (Ordered 10/28!)

(Or maybe she'll just have to sign it over if she's there, and get the POA if she won't be there. Now that I think about it, I think I had to do the POA because they couldn't finish the transaction before I had to take the baby home to go to bed...)
Thanks for the information. She will be there with my luckily

Raleigh peeps! Just scheduled an appointment to pick up my LR AWD, white with black, 18" areos, no FSD. Saw source code VIN like 2 days ago, and got the text and the VIN in my account all of a sudden this morning. Delivery on Sunday - like in 2 days from now.

Here's what (I think) he's saying.

Let's say your registration/property tax bill for your 1973 Pinto was $3.50. And you paid it in October.

If in November you transfer the plates to your 2020 Tesla Model 3- a car for which the property taxes are likely to be nearer $1000...you won't actually get a bill until October of next year when the Pinto registration expires.

On the other hand if you get "new" plates in November on the Tesla, you get a bill for $1000 immediately.

This has no impact on what you owe Tesla- they don't collect property taxes.

Obviously if the timing is perfect you can do this and avoid property tax for a year (actually, if timing is perfect, for nearly 15 months)... but if you're on the other end of things and your old tag expires 91 days from when you take delivery you're gain a bit less value from doing this.

Yes, this is right but stops a little short. By next September, when I would have had to finally list the Tesla for tax purposes if I had been able to transfer the plate, the car would then be used. And the taxes would drop, I suspect a fair amount, just because the valuations are aimed low to avoid people constantly coming in to protest valuation. My bill on a used 2019 right now would be I think just $400 or so... NOT based on the retail full value new number the dealer cheerfully gave them.
So I never would have had to pay that a $1000 tax bill. Ever. And if I own the car lets say 10 years for a round number... I would only be paying taxes on it for 9.5 years instead of 10....

Raleigh peeps! Just scheduled an appointment to pick up my LR AWD, white with black, 18" areos, no FSD. Saw source code VIN like 2 days ago, and got the text and the VIN in my account all of a sudden this morning. Delivery on Sunday - like in 2 days from now.
Hope my whining at least gave you an idea of the worst case. The team for delivery there is pretty good, really. The first stab at it they caught a paint defect and called me at last minute and said they couldn't in good conscience give me that car. they needed to fix it or get another in... they did the latter, and in less than a week.

im confused..was the total under "payment due" different than you ended up paying when you took delivery?

I am picking up my car from Raleigh on the 20th..I am bringing a check for the full balance and I am not tranfering a plate. Am I going to get some additional charges when I go to take delivery?

Yes, I paid that set of fees, then two and a half weeks later got a new plate in mail from DMV with a sticker good only till Jan. 31 and a bill saying pay this huge amount or your plate will be invalid on that date. If AT ALL possible you def want to transfer an old plate if you have one...

Oh, and short answer is no, you shouldn't see any surprise charges when you pick up. The Tesla process is pretty straightforward I guess for that. But if you're not expecting an instant hefty tax bill -- I'm in Orange County so may property tax rate is probably a bit higher but only a bit -- you should.